Home Non Cigar Related

Tablesaw accident - Bloody image, view at your own risk!

cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
My hand after a tablesaw kickback: image

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I lost the tip of the pinkie finger at the joint, the ring finger at the middle fingernail. Missed almost a week of work too.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    GODDAMMIT I'm sorry I opened that page. Looks like that stung a bit.
    kaspera79:
    GODDAMMIT I'm sorry I opened that page. Looks like that stung a bit.
    I did warn you.. Actually, it didn't hurt until a day and a half later when my hand twitched and woke me from a dead sleep.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O man, wow that looks painful, on the other hand( get it other hand) sorry lame joke, it could have been worse. Hope it heals fast Bro.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Damn bro sorry to hear .... Hope you're feeling better and hop that you make a quick and speedy recovery and that this wont affect what you do.
    This happened middle of January, it's all healed up now.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Cab-that is a nasty boo boo! Glad to hear your healed and back to work.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    edit: need to learn to read to bottom of page before responding
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Been debating on wood working hobby or gardening. Think this helps with my decision. Glad to hear it want worse.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ow.
    Could be worse. Back when I was putting interiors into custom yachts, I had an assistant who stuck his thumb into a jointer. You cannot sew hamburger back on.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dude!!! That's rough man. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there's this to look forward to: Tomorrow it will throb. So start drinking early.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just rub some dirt on it:) Seriously though. Holy Crap!!!
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Was that your smoking hand?!?!?
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Just rub some dirt on it:) Seriously though. Holy Crap!!!
    thats funny right there, i dont care who are! seriuosly tho...OUCH! hope everything healed as best it could!
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who works with tools long enough will have some close calls. I am surprised the Sawstop table saw never took off. I heard th big boys (delta, rigid, etc) lobbied against the technology...

pross:
    Anyone who works with tools long enough will have some close calls. I am surprised the Sawstop table saw never took off. I heard th big boys (delta, rigid, etc) lobbied against the technology...

They are impractical, the saw itself costs $5000, plus everytime it trips you have to spend $400 on a replacement part so it will reset. For a one man show its not too bad, but when you have several employees waiting on parts to go through the tablesaw for assembly, it can quickly add up to a big loss of $$ and time (and time also =$$).
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    pross:

They are impractical, the saw itself costs $5000, plus everytime it trips you have to spend $400 on a replacement part so it will reset. For a one man show its not too bad, but when you have several employees waiting on parts to go through the tablesaw for assembly, it can quickly add up to a big loss of $$ and time (and time also =$$).

No doubt, but if some of the larger buyers (government) mandated the technology as a safety measure, by now the systemwould be licensed to the big boys, improved, and much, much, cheaper.

pross:
    cabinetmaker:
    pross:

No doubt, but if some of the larger buyers (government) mandated the technology as a safety measure, by now the systemwould be licensed to the big boys, improved, and much, much, cheaper.

Government mandates never do anything but make everything worse. More regulation always = More $$..
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Yep; when it trips, it drops the spinning blade into a hunk of metal, ruining both parts in the process.

On the other hand, anyone I know who's whacked off fingers wishes they'd had that and usually end up paying more or close to $5k in hospital bills. It WOULD be ghastly expensive to have a bigger shop or mill using those saws.
    The tradeoff of paying $500 for a new stop and blade vs. having OSHA snooping around post-digicide, citing you for frayed wires or whatever other B.S. might be worth it.

More importantly- Sorry about the loss of your tools, Cabi.