Home General Discussion
Options

LFD Air Bender

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
I know the chisel gets good comments, but how are the other sizes? I'm particularly interested in the 44rg.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the Ponderoso and the Matatan are both tied for my next favorite size of the airbender. they are a touch milder than the chisel due to a lower priming on the wrapper leaf but they are still full of flavor and extremely tasty.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I had a Matatan that I enjoyed a lot. High on my list.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a couple of the robusto size, and they are fantastic.

Edit: I checked, and I am also referring to the matatan.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Anyone try the villano (lancero shape)? How does this one do in such a skinny format?
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mataan's are great! I'd try all the vitola's.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    So it sounds like you can't go wrong. I wasn't sure if it was a blend that was noticeably better in larger or smaller sizes.
  • Options
    Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    I don't know what the larger size is exactly. But I had kept one in the humidor for 2 years. It mellowed the taste a little. Still an excellent cigar though :)
  • Options
    jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Ok, newb question alert! What does size have to do with taste differentiation of the same cigar?
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Binder/Wrapper to filler ratio. The vets can take it from here...

Josh, PM to not get us to off topic
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    Binder/Wrapper to filler ratio.
    Exactly, and to elaborate a little, the wrapper, as compared to binder or filler, has the largest impact on a stick's overall flavor profile. More wrapper to filler in a skinner rg translates into more intense wrapper flavor.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    read through my blending 101 thread found in the link in my signature.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In essence, the filler is the main component that dictates the body strength of a cigar where the wrapper is what dictates the flavor. All tobacco contributes to flavor and body but those are the "general" breakdowns and rule of thumb. As well as what Gray said about RG and how that changes flavor there is another point to make as well, smaller RG cigars have a much better balance of ratio to wrapper/binder to filler (binder is typically wrapper leaf that just isn't aesthetically pleasing or not hight enough grade, not exclusively but good rule of thumb again) which often times results in a better balance overall in flavor and strength for cigars and the profile that was trying to be achieved when blended. Not to say that each sizes blend isn't tweaked for that specific vitola, as they typically are, especially when the RG is so dramatically different for something like a 60rg compared to a 38rg like a Lancero. Even among Lanceros, if you do a culebra which is 3 Lanceros braided together you have to generally remove a leaf in the filler blend to have it draw right. Hope this helps a bit on explaining.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."