Home Non Cigar Related

Any Crossfitters here?

I am about 4 weeks into the on ramp for Crossfit Endurance. Got to say I do feel a lot better changing up the work outs form long slow runs to the CFE style. Also I am not going crazy on the Palio thing, but have made a number of changes to my eating habits and feel a ton better.

Comments

• insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I don't do it. It seems to be popping up a-lot of places though. I'm a personal trainer so I get to see all the new industry trends. To be honest it has it's positives and it's set backs just like anything else. I dislike some of the emphasis and speed and mass reps. It can cause people who don't have a solid lifting base to want to jump right in and hurt them selves at that intensity. Under proper watch and training it can be effective especially for weight loss, and training athletes from a purely athletic standpoint. So can plyometrics though. It will help build a decent amount of muscular endurance for sure! Incorporating any form of resistance training in your work outs will benefit you immensely over just running. No matter what your goals! If it is working and you feel better keep at it! Just don't fall victim to feeling like you have to compete with others at crossfit gyms to the point of injury!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does cross dressing count? ??
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    insomnniapb:
    . I'm a personal trainer so I get to see all the new industry trends.
    Personal trainer? God bless ya, I don't know how you guys do it. Gimme a game to get the heart rate going. If there's no score, I simply cannot do a thing. On the way into the gym, I walk by all these human hamsters on treadmills behind a glass wall, with rows and rows of lifters in the room right behind them. From the locker room to the handball courts, I walk past all these gals in leotards dancing in the boom boom room on the right, and on the left is the spinning room. Hey, I could get on that bike and spin if I were riding an errand. I could lift those weights if I were loading trucks, or if I were a hoddie, or a bricklayer. I could just maybe convince myself to run those treadmills if they had alternators in them; though it still remind me of that scene from Spartacus with slaves on treadmills. But I get in the court, warm up, crouch down for the first serve, and then the real fun begins. I must be missing something. I don't see how you guys do it without a score.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    After completing my first Half-Marathon on the 9th of this month I just picked up Crossfit this week and have my second class tomorrow night. I picked up a living social deal for unlimited visits for one month for $25. With limited classes for the grouponers I think I will be able to get in about 2/3 classes a week. I was worried about the Olympic Lifting that was being done but was very impressed and comforted when we started with a PVC Pipe and then moved into light weights and then to the heavy stuff. Funny enough the movements were easier with some weight. I am looking forward to it for the next month as I was worked when I left that place after an hour. Good luck. I know I'll need it with some of the ish guys and gals were doing in there who were obviously not in our class but working out by themselves.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    Bombay:
    After completing my first Half-Marathon on the 9th of this month I just picked up Crossfit this week and have my second class tomorrow night. I picked up a living social deal for unlimited visits for one month for $25. With limited classes for the grouponers I think I will be able to get in about 2/3 classes a week. I was worried about the Olympic Lifting that was being done but was very impressed and comforted when we started with a PVC Pipe and then moved into light weights and then to the heavy stuff. Funny enough the movements were easier with some weight. I am looking forward to it for the next month as I was worked when I left that place after an hour. Good luck. I know I'll need it with some of the ish guys and gals were doing in there who were obviously not in our class but working out by themselves.
    i have been a long distance runner for a few years now. Started with he 1/2 and just done a 50k a few months ago. I always done P90X or other upper body workout but always got bored. I don't really care about trying to lift as much as the guy next to me, but working hard. If your box has a endurance coach their and you want to keep up running look into it man. I have really enjoyed the running drills and learning "the right way" to run. Also seen some great improvements in my times, soreness, and recovery after a few weeks of learning foot placement and stuff like that.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    rossdavey2:
    Bombay:
    i have been a long distance runner for a few years now. Started with he 1/2 and just done a 50k a few months ago. I always done P90X or other upper body workout but always got bored. I don't really care about trying to lift as much as the guy next to me, but working hard. If your box has a endurance coach their and you want to keep up running look into it man. I have really enjoyed the running drills and learning "the right way" to run. Also seen some great improvements in my times, soreness, and recovery after a few weeks of learning foot placement and stuff like that.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah i wasn't concerned with the guy next to me either but I was thinking these people are down right nuts if they think in this month class I am going to be doing that (hand stand pushups, muscle ups, etc. not going to happen) not that I don't believe I wont some day be able to do those things but definitely a little advanced for my tastes at this point. I have heard about the proper running technique, etc. and have started to listen to a podcast on Itunes called Barbell Shrugged (highly recommend) they talk about all things crossfit with equal time to lifting, cardio, and diet. Congrats on the 50K (insane) my feet looked like hamburger after the 13.1.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    Bombay:
    rossdavey2:
    Bombay:
    Thanks for the info. Yeah i wasn't concerned with the guy next to me either but I was thinking these people are down right nuts if they think in this month class I am going to be doing that (hand stand pushups, muscle ups, etc. not going to happen) not that I don't believe I wont some day be able to do those things but definitely a little advanced for my tastes at this point. I have heard about the proper running technique, etc. and have started to listen to a podcast on Itunes called Barbell Shrugged (highly recommend) they talk about all things crossfit with equal time to lifting, cardio, and diet. Congrats on the 50K (insane) my feet looked like hamburger after the 13.1.
    That was me after my first 1/2. Hard to walk for a few days, but I have learned a lot since then. Never thought I would do a full let alone a 50k. It didn't happen over night, and I like that about crossfit so far. Even doing the handstand walks and muscle ups is all about building up to it and scaling the work out to you, not someone else.