Home General Discussion

Is it me?

So at my local shop I have this guy who tries to drag me around the store like it's a car lot. He says he only recommends cigars that he's tasted, which is OK except that the store isn't selling all the other ones. He was dragging me around the store (again) and was making recommendations and we simply don't have the same taste.

Is this par with everybody else? Is this just me? Maybe I'm an A-hole or something. I don't like to be sold and questioned about my tastes. I will still go to the store, they have a great selection and it's nice store.

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bigj51:
    So at my local shop I have this guy who tries to drag me around the store like it's a car lot. He says he only recommends cigars that he's tasted, which is OK except that the store isn't selling all the other ones. He was dragging me around the store (again) and was making recommendations and we simply don't have the same taste.

Is this par with everybody else? Is this just me? Maybe I'm an A-hole or something. I don't like to be sold and questioned about my tastes. I will still go to the store, they have a great selection and it's nice store.

I would say he's either an over zealous sales person OR he has a boss on his a$$ about jacking up sales ...I like for them to be there if I ask a question but otherwise stay off me ...

Along the same line of 'Is it just me'? Maybe some of you guys in the restaraunt business can answer this question. You go in , are seated, drink orders taken and order your meal. Now most waitresses or waiters make a good amount of their income by tips right? Lets say your drink choice is Coke or Pepsi. Why when they come back around do they ALWAYS say 'Your drink was Diet right ....Oohhh no , actually my drink was NOT diet ...why ? Do you think I should have ordered diet? If you were me would you have ordered diet? Are you saying you THINK I need diet ? What are trying to say I need to lose a few pounds ? Why would they not be taught you always ask if the drink was regular NOT diet so as not to make a customer ill or agrevated or unconfortable??? Why not err on the side you know will not aggrevate someone duh huh . Since tips are a big part of their income heres a tip ...ask if the damn drink is regular and let the customer tell you if its diet . Every time a waitress or waiter asks me this I threaten to cut their tip in half and put the other half in my cigar fund but the wife just gives me that look (you married guys know the look) ...but seriously ...a little common sense please ...I'm just sayin'
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'd simply tell him you don't need any help picking out smokes, please go read the latest issue of Cigar Afficianado and you'll let him know when you've finished making your selections.

Or, use the short version "*** off"...
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'd be shocked if the people in my local B&M even said hello. Buying from them is a pain. Come to think of it, I haven't bought anything from them in months, and I doubt that will change. Regarding your sales guy, he sounds a bit inexperienced at retail sales. That would annoy me too.
  • bigj51bigj51 Posts: 52
    cabinetmaker:
    I'd simply tell him you don't need any help picking out smokes, please go read the latest issue of Cigar Afficianado and you'll let him know when you've finished making your selections.

Or, use the short version "*** off"...
    I think I will in not so many words
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    gmill880:
    bigj51:

I would say he's either an over zealous sales person OR he has a boss on his a$$ about jacking up sales ...I like for them to be there if I ask a question but otherwise stay off me ...

Along the same line of 'Is it just me'? Maybe some of you guys in the restaraunt business can answer this question. You go in , are seated, drink orders taken and order your meal. Now most waitresses or waiters make a good amount of their income by tips right? Lets say your drink choice is Coke or Pepsi. Why when they come back around do they ALWAYS say 'Your drink was Diet right ....Oohhh no , actually my drink was NOT diet ...why ? Do you think I should have ordered diet? If you were me would you have ordered diet? Are you saying you THINK I need diet ? What are trying to say I need to lose a few pounds ? Why would they not be taught you always ask if the drink was regular NOT diet so as not to make a customer ill or agrevated or unconfortable??? Why not err on the side you know will not aggrevate someone duh huh . Since tips are a big part of their income heres a tip ...ask if the damn drink is regular and let the customer tell you if its diet . Every time a waitress or waiter asks me this I threaten to cut their tip in half and put the other half in my cigar fund but the wife just gives me that look (you married guys know the look) ...but seriously ...a little common sense please ...I'm just sayin'
    Reminds me of a time that a waitress made a joke at my expense in front of my buddies. Before we left her a tip. The tip was going to be around 20 bucks, she got one dollar. I left the table last, took everyone's money save one dollar and gave them their money back in the parking lot. Not too bright to bite the hand that tips you.

Regarding the OP, next time he carts you around the shop ask him if he is going to be smoking your cigar for you, then tell him if he isn't, to shut the hell up and let you make your selection on your own.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    There are really only 3 B&Ms that I go to but I have been to others very infrequently. Of the three, the first one I have only been to when there are events. Needless to say, they are too busy to sit in the humidor with anyone. The second is a convenience store that happens to have a small walk in. I've only been there 4 - 5 times max and they never came in. But two of the times I did get to talk to the guy at the counter about cigars. The first time, I spent over $300 and he gave me a free ESG. The third is huge and they have multiple people. If you ask for suggestions they will help you and tell you about the cigars. But they do not push a particular cigar. At least the salesmen I have worked with have been good like that.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    My local shop always talks to me, but it's just to ask if I need help... If I ask for help they pour it on and they are truly great salespeople. If I say I'm good, they leave me alone and leave the humidor
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The people at the shop I visit usually ask if I need help, If I tell them I was just looking around they usually say, " if you have any questions just ask. " They don't hawk over me.
    From time to time they may make a suggestion based on what I bring to the counter. I think your guy may just be trying to be helpful. No need to be rude, he probably enjoys his job and talking with fellow cigar brothers.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    The people at the shop I visit usually ask if I need help, If I tell them I was just looking around they usually say, " if you have any questions just ask. " They don't hawk over me.
    From time to time they may make a suggestion based on what I bring to the counter. I think your guy may just be trying to be helpful. No need to be rude, he probably enjoys his job and talking with fellow cigar brothers.
    I have the same experience as kasper...knowledgable but not pushy.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I dont go to the BM that often, so I ususally put up with whatevery they throw my way.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've had a nicer gentleman help me at the pretty-to-look-at-but-nothing-of-measure-in-the-humidor B&M try to help me and he only got the job because he helped the shop run a booth/beer tent for Harley's Anniversay and they needed extra help so they hired him.

He admitted to being a typical cigarette smoker and was getting into cigars, he just pointed out the 5 or so cigars that he's smoked and tried to describe them to me

All-in-all I settled for a Alec Bradley Tempus and a learning lesson for him on what Mx2 and Lx2 meant...

Later on as I was smoking he came up to me and thanked me for he had just sold two Lx2's to a guy based on my description...

Very nice place but the coolest thing about that B&M is that there is a dog that you can play with while you smoke