Home General Discussion

Humidor: life after infused?

perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
I know infused cigars should be stored in a separate humidor, but my question is that after that humi is used for infused, assuming I didn't plan keep some on hand, can it be used for regular sticks again? If so does it need down time or some kind of cleaning or is it good to go as soon as the infused sticks are gone?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, does the "infused" humidor smell like the infused sticks? If it has picked up the aroma from flavored sticks, it may take a while to dissipate. You could try leaving the lid open to air out, and then reseason. Some have used wadded up newspapers to remove funky odors from humidors and coolidors.

If it still smells after airing out/newspapering, re-seasoning, then maybe it should not be used for long term storage for non-infused. It is possible to use it as a "drybox" to dry out cigars 1-2 days prior to smoking. (They wouldnt be in there long term and probably would not pick up any flavor).

I do not own many infused sticks, although I do have a few coffee cigars. I keep them in the cellos, in a separate plastic baggie in with everything else and I do not smell or taste any "contamination" from them. It really depends on your taste and if YOU can tell a difference. Some infused sticks are not as potent as others and honestly I think do not make a difference if stored with regular sticks.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Trying to get my ducks in a row ahead of time, there are several different lines of infused/flavored sticks i want to try but wanted to get more information before I dropped them into a humi I like.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are afraid of ruining a humidor, then keeping them in a plastic bag like a gallon ziplock or in a tupperware container is certainly an option. Not as pretty as a humidor, but drop a boveada in and you are worry-free.

If you have a coolidor, I would not hesitate at all to bag up infused sticks and drop them in the cooler. Little aroma would find it's way out of the bag, but even if it did, the plastic cooler would not absorb much, if any, of the taste or smell.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America