Home General Discussion

Bad cigar or no cigar?

prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
I went to my place in Maine this week, where there is a great B&M up the road. I didn't bring any sticks, figuring I would stop in to pick up a few. Of course, they were closed when I got there (closed Mondays)

Remembering seeing a small countertop humi in a local store, swung in and picked up a couple of "hand rolled" sticks. They were unbanded, $6 each, and just labeled "Maduro", "Sumatra" etc.

To call them dog rockets would be an insult to the digestive system of all canines, everywhere. I determined that from now on, it is known brands, or nothing.

have I become a stogie snob?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Nope. Smoke what you like! This hobby would get old quick if I smoked sticks that tasted like ****. I'm with you, I would at least try the stick...but if you don't like it, you don't like it.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. A real snob will tell you to your face that whatever you're smoking isn't worth smoking and why his picks are so nutty or spicy or leathery or earthy or peppery and whether it's black or white pepper.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Id go without if the only cigar I could have was a known ****. Wheres the enjoyment in suffering through a crappy smoke?? That is not to say that there are no good budget smokes and I only smoke "premi-premi-prems" like padron and fuente.

I have to add, and at $6 that is killer.... you're well within premium prices there. Damn
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always like to try a shops house blends most times they are just ok but every once in a while you come across some gems. Last summer I tried a whiskey infused that was made by "some local guy" to the shop I stopped in and it was so good I tried my hand at infusing a Beauty. Didn't turn out very well though.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. At least you took a shot, who knows it could've been great!!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Those unbanded cigars labeled Sumatra, Maduro and (something else, connecticut?) are in a lot of countertop humidors in Maine. I have asked many times what brand they are. Of course, the person at the counter never has any idea. They aren't sold in cigar shops, just convenience stores and other random non-cigar stores.

Which city/B&M did you go to?
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Those unbanded cigars labeled Sumatra, Maduro and (something else, connecticut?) are in a lot of countertop humidors in Maine. I have asked many times what brand they are. Of course, the person at the counter never has any idea. They aren't sold in cigar shops, just convenience stores and other random non-cigar stores.

Sounds like the plastic wrapped individually packaged macanudos and the like I'm sure you're all seeing in gas stations and convenience stores all over the place nowadays. I shudder when I think people see those and think "maybe I'll try my first cigar". Blasphemy!
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Not a snob.... you just have developed a preference. You are only a snob when you knock someone else for smoking/liking them.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:

I was in Naples, near my house. It was at a gift / wine type store .

I usually go to the William Perry Cigar lounge in Bridgton, but he was closed. He has a good selection and it is a great place to have a smoke too.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    You're not a snob unless you do it for appeal from others. Your tastes are your tastes and you shouldn't have to answer to anybody but yourself. Do a lot of research and reading for those cigars that fit your taste profile and then buy a few of them...smoke them over periods of 1, 3 and 6 months as their profile does change.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely nothing wrong with trying any/everything that comes your way. Also nothing wrong with knowing what you do/don't like, even if others think you're crazy. I know people that love cigars with OJ, for me that doesn't work but for them it's great, good for them. Life's too short to spend even an hour smoking something you know you don't like.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I am a snob, but I just can't bring myself to try "anything." For me, a bad cigar smoke totally turns me off to the hobby in general. It's not worth the stinky breath and clothes and the potential damage it's doing to my health. I've been disappointed with enough "highly rated" cigars than for me it's not worth spending the 1-2 cigars I smoke a week on stuff that hasn't at least been recommended by the fine folks here.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe a better way to ask this is "unknown cigar or no cigar?"

every time its unknown.

when i get a bomb there are few things that make me happier than getting a cigar that i have never had before.
    even if it turns out to be not good, at least i get to say i tried it.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AVJim:
    Not a snob.... you just have developed a preference. You are only a snob when you knock someone else for smoking/liking them.
    good point, I like that.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain