Home General Discussion

MOLD!!!!! :[

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
Just opened up my humidor today and low and behold I had MOLD...... Absolutely sucks because the only cigars that were afflicted were my Camacho sticks. I heard there was a mold problem with the Liberty ones so I took it out of its box. That didn't matter it still molded up like crazy! Lost a 4 yr old Triple Maduro and just a normal Camacho Maduro as well. This is the first time I have ever had mold in the 5 years I have been collecting cigars. At least it wasn't any of the others. I made sure to check them all before trying to clean the ones I lost. Ok I am done just had to vent a little bit.
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Such a drag, sorry to hear this. I've been really concerned about this since this is my first summer trying to maintain my sticks. If I may ask: what do you think led to it? What temp/rh is your humi at?
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    That blows bro, so sorry to hear this!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sh iiiiii t man.
    that sucks, sorry.

but good you caught it "early" before it took over any other sticks.
    what do you use for humidification? (maybe time to switch it out for a new version just to be safe.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daaammn! It had to be the camacho's too :( I love those. Yes, were the rh conditions bad? or do you think those cigars are just mold prone?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    This is like a bad horror movie, sorry bro that's terrible.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alluva sudden there's a whole lot of mold threads started up.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Alluva sudden there's a whole lot of mold threads started up.
    It's getting more humid... when it warms up, we know what else will pop up! (I won't say the b-word)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I've been using an oasis xl and yea I think it was just over humidifying it seems.
    Also my humidification has been sitting at about 73/74
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Leave your cigars in cello - no more mold.

I used to leave all my cigars naked, and then I had a huge mold break out when I didn't smoke anything for a few months and hence, did't open or check my humi for a months on end; not just a few spots, entire cigars turned white from the mold, from head to foot, a 6 inch long pile of pure white mold. After digging the moldy ones out, I found cigars that were surrounded by mold - above, below, right and left - but completely untouched - they were the ones in cello. Ever since then, I leave everything in cello
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    If it is really hot and humid outside, open your boxes for a while. Let them breathe. When I was young (here in the deep deep south), the older men would buy boxes of cigars and just leave them out for most of the year. Only during the dryer winter months would they box them. Think about it. Where do you usually find mold in a house? Damp, dark places like basements, closets, boxes, shoes, cabinets. Places without airflow. A humidor is much more important in assuring that a cigar doesn't dry out in a dry environment than it is in protecting from too high humidity. JMO
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Holy crappers batman, you had up to 73 to 74 rh! No wonder you molded. I'm hoping all these mold encounters finally get more of you guys to switch to beads or......Litter pearls. My 3 humis are rock solid at 65-67 rh even as the ambient humidity is raising for the summer months in my house. PearlsPEarlsPearls, 10 bucks at wally-world.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    Just opened up my humidor today and low and behold I had MOLD...... Absolutely sucks because the only cigars that were afflicted were my Camacho sticks. I heard there was a mold problem with the Liberty ones so I took it out of its box. That didn't matter it still molded up like crazy! Lost a 4 yr old Triple Maduro and just a normal Camacho Maduro as well. This is the first time I have ever had mold in the 5 years I have been collecting cigars. At least it wasn't any of the others. I made sure to check them all before trying to clean the ones I lost. Ok I am done just had to vent a little bit.
    can u post a pic up? sorry for your loss, hope u get the mold under control.
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Holy crap man! Camachos? That sucks big time. I had my first camacho PE the other day and it was by far the best stick I've smoked. As others were saying about beads. I live in Florida and it gets pretty darn humid here. I used to use gel pucks and it was hard to keep my RH level. I switched to beads a few months ago and it's been steady as can be at 65 regardless of how high the humidity is in my house or outside. Make the switch brother!
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    This is why you send PS3 games instead of cigars in PIFs.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    ^fa sho
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    jliu:
    Marker:
    ^fa sho
    No one wants your Hello Kitty: Island Adventure ;)
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    jliu:
    Marker:
    ^fa sho
    Excuse you its herro kitty. YORO
    xmacro:
    jliu:
    Marker:
    ^fa sho
    I know, that is why I sent him Uncharted 3.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    xmacro:
    jliu:
    Marker:
    ^fa sho
    I know, that is why I sent him Uncharted 3.
    I'm still looking for GOW Ascension. Don't really want to pay $60 for a game that I'm gonna beat in a few hours.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Never played the GoW series. Just never had the time. I work slowly through the Final Fantasy series when time permits.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Never played the GoW series. Just never had the time. I work slowly through the Final Fantasy series when time permits.
    I stopped at FF13??? ( I forgot lol ), and if you haven't played GOW3 and you have a PS3 ...... dude, dewd! DOOD!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    It happens...today in fact when I went through my humidors and found one smaller one had a R&J LE 2004 Cuban in there with about 4 other various cigars...it was on the wrapper and a little on the foot so I wiped it off...cut the foot off by about 1/2 inch and it was good as gold...smoked it and it was great. As long as the mold has not gotten completely into the foot where it goes mobile then grab your cutter and start cutting it back until you see no more. Catching it early is key and Im always watching my stuff like a Mother Hen...got these just in time.
    Glock1975:
    JSaint:
    can u post a pic up? sorry for your loss, hope u get the mold under control.
    Unfortunately I can not post a pic I was heading out the door as I noticed this so I just pitched the ones that were unsalvageable.
    Marker:
    That was a good PIF lol.