Home General Discussion

Cigars are Cracking

Recently I've noticed some of my cigars are cracking. They feel moist enough. My humidor holds 200 capacity and I have 2 Boveda packs in it. They've been in there about 2 weeks and still feel fine. Any suggestions? I'm pretty much a novice to the cigar world. Thanks. George

Comments

• AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    How many cigars do you have in the humidor? What's the RH in the humidor? What kind of cigars are cracking?
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • I don't have a way to check RH. the cigar I've noticed is Oliva G Series.
    You really need to get a hygrometer. Without, there is no way to tell what's going on in there. Did you season the humidor prior to putting the sticks in it? If not, the RH may be no where near where you think it is (subjective but I keep mine around 68%) as the wood is likely sucking up all the moisture from the Boveda packs. How big are the Boveda packs? 2 may be too few.
    BTW, welcome to the forum! There are some great people here!
  • I don't remember seasoning. I've had the humidor a couple of years and have used it off and on. Now I'm starting to really enjoy a good cigar so I guess I'd better learn more about it. I'll get the hygrometer. what should the reading be?
  • thanks. I look forward to an education. I forgot to answer your question. I have about 75 cigars in it.
    You really need to season it! There are a few ways to do it but all take a little time. There are numerous thread on the subject here and many available by searching the web. Without seasoning, the humidor can not work properly. There is no way the Boveda packs are keeping up and your sticks are likely suffering for it. I would take the sticks out and put them in a big ziplock (or other airtight container. Tuperware or a cooler work too) with the boveda pack until th humidor is properly seasoned. I like mine at 68% RH.
    George_pat:
    thanks. I look forward to an education. I forgot to answer your question. I have about 75 cigars in it.
    This is a great place to learn stuff about cigars!!!! The fuller the humidor, the easier to control the RH. 75 in a 200 shouldn't be your problem though. Season that sucker and I think your problem will be solved. Let me know if you need advice on how to do it.
  • Will do. Appreciate the information. I'll get back on and let you know how it's doing after seasoning.
    Glad to help! Yea, keep me posted!
    From Cigar Aficionodo:
    It's a different method of seasoning, of course. (Humidors don't perform well when filled with oil and put over an open flame.) But the wood interior of the humidor needs to absorb humidity before it can become the ideal home for your cigars. Here's what to do.
    With a new sponge—unscented, free of soap and liberally dosed with distilled water—wipe down all exposed wood, including any trays and dividers, as well as the interior lid. Avoid using a paper towel or a fraying cloth; these will literally leave a paper trail on the wood. After you've wet the wood, squirt the sponge with more distilled water, then place it inside the humidor on a plastic bag (to avoid contact with the wood) and close the lid.
    Next, prepare your humidification device according to the manufacturer's instructions. Unless the manufacturer specifically states that you can use tap water, use only distilled water. Tap water contains minerals that will destroy most humidification systems by leaving deposits that will clog the humidor element. Once the humidification element is filled, be sure to wipe it down to remove all the excess water. Rest it on a hand towel for approximately 30 minutes.
    Add the humidifying element to the humidor and close the lid, leaving the damp sponge inside, and leave it overnight. The next day, refresh the humidification device if it needs more water, and check the sponge. If it is fairly dry, add more distilled water. If it is very damp, leave it alone.
    Let the humidor sit another night, then remove the sponge and plastic bag. The walls of the humidor have now absorbed all the water they need, and you can safely add cigars.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice, jim! You are correct I bet, as "on and off use" is likely not enough time for the humidor to absorb all the moisture it needs to season correctly, consequently it will not be very stable.

I did not see though... are the cigars cracking when you smoke them? Or are they just very fragile and dry?

If they are exploding when you smoke them, then they may actually be over humidified. Too much moisture in the cigar, you smoke and it heats and expands, and the wrapper pops. Also, think about the weather conditions outside. If youre taking a "cold" (from air conditioned room) cigar out to 80 degrees and 70% humidity, that can cause problems. Some guys will take a cigar from the humidor, and let it sit where they plan to smoke for a few min. This minimizes a temp or humidity "shock" and is especially helpful in hot summer months.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Put your cigars in ziplock freezer bags with the boveda!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Put your cigars in ziplock freezer bags with the boveda!!!
    +1 to this... Also, if the cigars are cracking in the humidor it may be fluctuation in humidity is the culprit. Your cigars may have been too dry and then when you put them in the humidor they humidified too quickly. Either way, get that hygrometer and make sure the humidor is seasoned properly. More problems coming otherwise.
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    George_pat:
    My humidor holds 200 capacity and I have 2 Boveda packs in it. They've been in there about 2 weeks and still feel fine. Any suggestions?
    I suggest more boveda packs. The boveda site states you need 2 packs for each 50 cigars your humidor holds. I have a hundred count and have used 4 successfully for the last year plus.
    kevin1323:
    George_pat:
    My humidor holds 200 capacity and I have 2 Boveda packs in it. They've been in there about 2 weeks and still feel fine. Any suggestions?
    I suggest more boveda packs. The boveda site states you need 2 packs for each 50 cigars your humidor holds. I have a hundred count and have used 4 successfully for the last year plus.
    +1
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    George_pat:
    Recently I've noticed some of my cigars are cracking. They feel moist enough. My humidor holds 200 capacity and I have 2 Boveda packs in it. They've been in there about 2 weeks and still feel fine. Any suggestions? I'm pretty much a novice to the cigar world. Thanks. George
    George, welcome to the forum. You should read the link I am about to post, and when you are done, let us know. Clicky here
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Good advice, jim! You are correct I bet, as "on and off use" is likely not enough time for the humidor to absorb all the moisture it needs to season correctly, consequently it will not be very stable.

I did not see though... are the cigars cracking when you smoke them? Or are they just very fragile and dry?

If they are exploding when you smoke them, then they may actually be over humidified. Too much moisture in the cigar, you smoke and it heats and expands, and the wrapper pops. Also, think about the weather conditions outside. If youre taking a "cold" (from air conditioned room) cigar out to 80 degrees and 70% humidity, that can cause problems. Some guys will take a cigar from the humidor, and let it sit where they plan to smoke for a few min. This minimizes a temp or humidity "shock" and is especially helpful in hot summer months.

I've had wrapper problems happen during the burn. I'll remember to acclimate the cigar to the outdoors for some time before I light 'em up. Good plan. Makes sense. I figured the problem was the humidity change but it just never occurred to me to give them time to adjust to the outside temp and humidity.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:

I've had wrapper problems happen during the burn. I'll remember to acclimate the cigar to the outdoors for some time before I light 'em up. Good plan. Makes sense. I figured the problem was the humidity change but it just never occurred to me to give them time to adjust to the outside temp and humidity.

Yeah I do this all the time and never have problems. If I know I plan on smoking a cigar or two the same day or the next day I will take them out of my humi and put them in one of my cedar "small" humi which was not seasoned and dry box it. If I decide on a whim to smoke a cigar I will take it out of the humi, put it outside on my smoking table and let it sit for up to 30 minutes. That usually is the amount of time it takes me to get my coffee ready or what have you. Anyway maybe I think too much into it but I don't have issues when smoking so I guess it is worth it.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George_pat:
    Hi George

As luck would have it, owing to a comedy of errors, I now have four hygrometers and only one humidor! Shoot me a private message with your address and I will gladly throw one of my extras in an envelope and mail it to you. Didn't cost me anything, and it sounds like you could use it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George, it occurred to me just now that you may not yet know how to send a private message. So I sent you one. Just click at the upper right where it says "inbox"
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Davis! Welcome to the forum George! Being a noob myself, the advice you received is invaluable, do as they say and that humi will serve you well until you need to go larger......which is approximately 2-3 months depending on how involved you become on the forum! Lol! Speaking of, now that you've figured out how to PM, message me your address, got something for ya!
    mmccartneydc:
    Very nice Davis! Welcome to the forum George! Being a noob myself, the advice you received is invaluable, do as they say and that humi will serve you well until you need to go larger......which is approximately 2-3 months depending on how involved you become on the forum! Lol! Speaking of, now that you've figured out how to PM, message me your address, got something for ya!
    Oh no..... another victim of Matt. I would say "don't do it" but we all must learn on our own. Well, at least there will be another able bodied soldier in the war....

Please do not take me seriously.... just having a little fun (you will get used to it). Matt (aka mmccartneydc) is one helluva great guy..... crap, did I just post that?!?!?? The soldiers may revolt and call me a traitor!
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AVJim:
    You really need to get a hygrometer. Without, there is no way to tell what's going on in there. Did you season the humidor prior to putting the sticks in it? If not, the RH may be no where near where you think it is (subjective but I keep mine around 68%) as the wood is likely sucking up all the moisture from the Boveda packs. How big are the Boveda packs? 2 may be too few.

Might be over kill but I have 5 Boveda packs and Kitty Litter in my 130 ct....holds 70 like a champ.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Vision:
    AVJim:

Might be over kill but I have 5 Boveda packs and Kitty Litter in my 130 ct....holds 70 like a champ.
    Lazy. I love playing "What's my hygro say?" each morning.
    Rain:
    Vision:
    AVJim:

We must be cut from the same cloth Randy! I use Boveda packs primarily in my travel humi. I might break them out in the summer when the RH gets hard to control.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AVJim:
    Rain:
    Vision:
    AVJim:

We must be cut from the same cloth Randy! I use Boveda packs primarily in my travel humi. I might break them out in the summer when the RH gets hard to control.
    Interesting point, made me look twice. Here in TN, RH is easy in the summer, hard to keep up in the winter. I guess MN you're dealing with different conditions. Tropical-like humidity is the norm for awhile down here in the coming months.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    AVJim:
    Rain:
    Vision:
    AVJim:

Interesting point, made me look twice. Here in TN, RH is easy in the summer, hard to keep up in the winter. I guess MN you're dealing with different conditions. Tropical-like humidity is the norm for awhile down here in the coming months.

Differnt conditions to be sure! The humidity and temperatures fluctuate wildly. I environment here is so UNLIKE that where the stogies are made making the humidor work that much harder.
  • George_patGeorge_pat Posts: 9
    Truly appreciate the generous offer, but I have one on order now. Should arrive any day.
    I will certainly give the acclimation to temperature a try. Thanks again.
  • George_patGeorge_pat Posts: 9
    Failed to add -- the cigar wrappers are cracking when I smoke them. will leave them out for a while for sure. BTW, appreciate this site. Am learning much.