Home Non Cigar Related

Thinking of dropping cable tv

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
I remember seeing once before that there's some kind of service, I think Internet that people use that they get there cable much cheaper. But for the life of me I can't remember what it is. So I'm wondering what are some alternatives to costly cable tv but that I can still watch my favorite shows that are on cable channels. I sure don't want to have to cut my cigar budget anymore than I have.

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hulu, netflix, wwitv

Face it: TV is a waste of time anyway. You can blow a hunnerd a month for a thousand channels so you can watch Die Hard on four different channels simultaneously. Or you can pay extra for premium channels and watch Lethal Weapon Two. Technology has so far outpaced content it's ridiculous. We got every imaginable category of hillbilly lunkhead making an embarrassing spectacle of himself on a reality show. Fornication, murder, drivel and brainwashing. If Bearswatter wasn't addicted I'd not have it. I'd hit the sports bar for football and leave the rest alone. I'd crack a book, visit a forum, go to community theater.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang on a minute. Lemme see what's on ESPN. Oooh. College spring football. Hey, there's a Deadliest Catch rerun.

Tape that.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I agree with you Ricky. I was asking this same question a few months ago. Have to find a way to cut out that $90 per month bill. Way too much. And while I'm at it, have to cut that $250 per month cell phone bill. I used to pay $350 per month rent. Now I pay over $400 per month for internet/satellite tv/ and cell phone. I must think I can be in 3 places at once.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I dropped cable 3 years ago and have been streaming Netflix, Hulu , and other services over my game systems using a service called playon. I only pay for Netflix. Playon use to be free but now you have to purchase( I was grandfathered in as a beta user) roku is also good and slingbox is nice too. I would look in to those. Fair warning you may need to bump your Internet up to a 10 mb or 15mb tier for best results. These are usely 40 to 60 a month if your provider will work with you.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I got rid of cable a few months ago. I use my wireless to stream Netflix and hulu. I don't miss cable at all. I actually have more to watch now than I have time to watch. I'm not much into the sports stuff, so your mileage may vary. My bill went from over 100 to about 20 a month.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    We just dropped ours down to local channels so the wife can watch her shows and Netflix for me. So far I like it, but the real test will be when football season begins.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hulu that's the one I was thinking of. If it wasn't for Walking dead, Supernatural,Justified and my boys in SamCro I'd gladly do with just local tv. But I love those shows. How do you get signed up with Hulu?
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I've kept Dish Network solely for soccer and HBO. Few streaming services are good enough to watch soccer or hockey and I'm too impatient with the shows I like to wait for Netflix. Hate having to have the whole damn package for about 5 channels though.
  • mattpeltermattpelter Posts: 64
    I dropped DirecTV early last year and switched to Netflix/Hulu and I have never looked back.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Hulu that's the one I was thinking of. If it wasn't for Walking dead, Supernatural,Justified and my boys in SamCro I'd gladly do with just local tv. But I love those shows. How do you get signed up with Hulu?
    You go to the Hulu website and create an account. The whole process was easier than I expected.

Also, here's a site I looked at a bit before switching over to educate myself. You may find it useful. http://www.killthecablebill.com/
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ricky, check out this website, it has some great info/tips/tricks on how to "cut the cord"

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Well it all depends on what you want. sure I agree cable/dish/fios or what have you is all about the same as far as content. If you want to watch new seasons of stuff or new shows right away then you may have to keep it. If you want to go to some places online to watch them right away there are places you can go (though not sure about how legal it is). Or amazon/hulu/and other streaming services work as well, but you may not get new stuff right away. Also if your into sports you may be left out a bit.
    So I've been reading up on it and it looks like the cable/dish people got you by the cords if you got certain cable shows you like to watch and keep up with. And having to get a different antenna for local channels sucks to. It basically comes down to convince vs money.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I dropped cable and haven't looked back!! Yeah I miss some shows but money is money and when it comes down to it I don't even need the news lol. Almost everything I wanna see is on the Internet! The only channels I miss are history,bbc and discovery. Cable too me is all repeats
    Money can't buy taste
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    We have Comcast. It's a phone, internet, cable bundle. A bundle of expensive ***. OK I am going to age myself, but once upon a time you paid for cable because there were NO F'n commercials! That's why you paid! That money was supposed to supplement the lack of commercials. Those days are long gone and now I have 1000 channels of crap. OK it's not that bad, I do get Barnaby Jones in Spanish! Adios
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    We just dropped ours down to local channels so the wife can watch her shows and Netflix for me. So far I like it, but the real test will be when football season begins.
    Same here the sports....that's the biggest problem. We stream and just watch local tv. Saved a lot of $$
    And we got to have them come out every few months for something. You'd think by now they'd have it down to an art.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Dark Roast:
    OK it's not that bad, I do get Barnaby Jones in Spanish! Adios
    LOL! Thanks for that!