Home Non Cigar Related

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, for that particular model, that is a great price. Everywhere else is $100 more. However, I have never used a gateway and when my wife and I were recently looking for laptops we were in a little higher price range. We ended up with a $699 asus from best buy and it seems to be a great computer.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    ive not had good luck with newer gateway models, when i bought a new laptop i ended up going to newegg and picking up my refurbed asus for $400. it came with an intel i5 processor, 500gb hd and 4gb of ram (i upgraded it to 8 right away) if i was to do it over again now i'd still go with an asus or a lenovo.

Edit: for a sub $350 laptop i might get a hp like this one- http://moofi.woot.com/offers/hp-17-3-dual-core-laptop-9

or this one since i like intel processors- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo - IdeaPad 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive/8814643.p?id=1218902555024&AID=10474050&PID=3668349&URL=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaPad+15.6"+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/8814643.p?id=1218902555024&ci_sku=8814643&ref=39&ci_src=11138&loc=01&skuId=8814643&CJPID=3668349&cj=true
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.. This was gonna be a gift for a youngster where its probably gonna be their first computer.. For the price this thing came with alot of features and it also has a one year warranty.. I could go the refurbished route on a better one but the warranties arent very good,, usually a couple months if that. Still undecided,, may pull the trigger. thanks again
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    I had a pretty bad experience with a gateway laptop. Charging jack went out after about 6 months and I had a horrible time with the warranty. Still, that's a great price.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gateways have always been crap. But on the flip side, it's cheap and ubiquitous crap. For a child's first, it may be ideal. Spill on it, whack on it, drop it, download viruses, and generally treat it like Kleenex. I say thumbs up for under 300. When it goes belly up, you get him another.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Laptops are SUCH a crapshoot. I honestly think you need to actually try out one before you buy it. When I was in the corporate world, they use to saddle me with these 7 pound, huge Dells that were slow, lumbering pieces of junk. I prefer smaller, lighter laptops with 12" screens and fantastic keyboards, so for years I used to buy nothing other than IBM (then later Lenovo) Thinkpads. But now the newer Lenovo use the crappy keyboards so I don't know what i'll get next. I'm getting my son a laptop for his high school graduation, and i'm just going to take him to the nearest Best Buy, let him choose one he likes (within reason) and then order it for cheaper online.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Laptops are SUCH a crapshoot. I honestly think you need to actually try out one before you buy it. When I was in the corporate world, they use to saddle me with these 7 pound, huge Dells that were slow, lumbering pieces of junk. I prefer smaller, lighter laptops with 12" screens and fantastic keyboards, so for years I used to buy nothing other than IBM (then later Lenovo) Thinkpads. But now the newer Lenovo use the crappy keyboards so I don't know what i'll get next. I'm getting my son a laptop for his high school graduation, and i'm just going to take him to the nearest Best Buy, let him choose one he likes (within reason) and then order it for cheaper online.
    I'd agree... and there's so much that changes so fast. Being out of the market for even a few years put you so far behind on what's new. It's pretty hard to know what you'll be getting. I just stick with brands I know like Samsung and asus.

PS: Best Buy will price match, and I actually found the best deal there. Definitely worth a visit
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    raisindot:
    I'd agree... and there's so much that changes so fast. Being out of the market for even a few years put you so far behind on what's new. It's pretty hard to know what you'll be getting. I just stick with brands I know like Samsung and asus.

PS: Best Buy will price match, and I actually found the best deal there. Definitely worth a visit
    Thanks guys,, The Lenovo that Taythegibbs provided the link for is pretty good,, did some comparisons on that intel vs the amd. The HP AMD looks pretty good too.. I actually had a Gateway laptop and it was great. Not sure bout the desktops. This Gateway is made by ACER which I have also used fro work and it was a pretty good computer,, but I have read mixed reviews on em. I agree bout going and actually taking a look at em,, may do that