Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Grads, and their Paths

First let me say congratulations to any and all graduates I have missed. I wish you well in all your future endeavors. Second just curious as to the degree, and future plans (God and the economy willing). I will be the first.

Business Management - Bachelors, and it is a fall back, I Love what I do when management allows me to do it.
Currently no job search -- if one were to fall into place I would take it, but not currently looking.

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

My wife just graduated with a Bachelors in elementary ed., with a specialization in special ed. Praying she gets a teaching job in KY as I go back for a Ph.D.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    That's cool... my wife is getting her masters in school counseling. She teaches middle school math, and is one of those people who can connect with most kids. I thought about going into secondary education as industrial arts instructor. The more I thought about it the more I realized that while I can teach those who want to learn... connections with those that don't would drive me to drink more. Thus I skimmed out into a business degree. I hold 2 masters titles, and will rely on my trade knowledge until the time when my body will not allow me to do them. (We just had an 80 year old man recalled into the shop I work in).
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in school now finishing up some pre-reqs and starting the B.A. Program in Social Work then onto the Masters program. It's killing me...geez I feel old..but, I've always wanted to get a degree and finish something.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Just finished my master's in public admin and after some decompression time will start looking for an assistant city or county manager position.

Shizz, that's a rough field, I admire y'all who can work in that area and not kill half the folks you deal with.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Much kudos and respect to all of you folks (and your spouses) who are getting degrees in education or social work, two fields where the supply of professionals never seems to keep up with the need.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    congrats to all!!!

I just graduated with "Scholar" status with an Advanced diploma as a Computer Programmer Analyst. I graduated 4 days after my 50th birthday.

Actively job seeking. Over qualified for most, under qualified for the rest.
    I finished school at the end of April and not even one interview yet. I have pros working with me on my resume/cover letter, so I'm in good hands, I guess.

Best of luck to all of you who are seeking jobs. It can be depressing, especially with kids, mortgage, car payments....you know the routine.
    Currently unemployed and hating it.

• Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Update:

I just got offered a 3 month contract in my home town. The $ sucks, but at least it means that I don't have to sell my house and move to another city just yet. I will be working in my field (Computers, servers, software) and I have a 35 hour work week, Mon - Fri, weekends off. It's a start, but I'm still looking for full time. Have a lead with HP Canada so wish me luck!

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    Update:

I just got offered a 3 month contract in my home town. The $ sucks, but at least it means that I don't have to sell my house and move to another city just yet. I will be working in my field (Computers, servers, software) and I have a 35 hour work week, Mon - Fri, weekends off. It's a start, but I'm still looking for full time. Have a lead with HP Canada so wish me luck!

Good Luck! I hope you find a nice situation for you and your pup.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    Update:

cool man, but that sucks you're getting shafted. I have many friends who just got their masters and or phd and haven't been able to find any work in their fields locally. One had a job offer but the money was way too low. I mean WTF? Soon they will have to be looking other places for work. Sucks as their loan payments are huge! Seems like a huge waste at times. More education, more money, no jobs or jobs with very low pay.