Home Cigar 101

Heartfelt bead tubes

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So i was looking on the Heartfelt site and was looking at the tubes for my next humidification system. Are those tubes "vented" so that you just leave them in the tube and it does its job from there? how does that work?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Yep, you got it.Dude, honestly, get the "sock" or whatever it is they sell. I used it and it rocks. Plus it's like $2, so even if you don't like it...whatevs.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I use both, the mesh bag and the tubes. The tubes are great in my travel humi and in my 20 count humidors. They both have their place and are both top notch.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive seen quite a few people saying to just use nylon stockings cut down. lol I assume that would work alright too. As to how many beads for specific square inch measurements? i quickly perused their site just for basic prices and options. I really like the rectangular devices (just for the lack of space they take up) I assume there are rectangular storage for the beads that can be bought elsewhere as well.
    LiquidChaos66:
    Ive seen quite a few people saying to just use nylon stockings cut down. lol I assume that would work alright too. As to how many beads for specific square inch measurements? i quickly perused their site just for basic prices and options. I really like the rectangular devices (just for the lack of space they take up) I assume there are rectangular storage for the beads that can be bought elsewhere as well.
    They have a calculator you can use...remember that more is better.
    Yeah i just found that! lol i was popping over here to say i had found it but you beat me to it!!! :) How long do the beads last? (im sure ill find the answer as i continue reading through their site... but im gonna ask anyway)
    LiquidChaos66:
    Yeah i just found that! lol i was popping over here to say i had found it but you beat me to it!!! :) How long do the beads last? (im sure ill find the answer as i continue reading through their site... but im gonna ask anyway)
    Uh...a long tine time. I've never seen anyone say "My beads don't work anymore." I know at some point they have to stop, but not sure when. Also, if you pour water on them they will crack, but still work.
    Last question i think for this topic for me... i cant guarantee it though. ;) is it bad to have any part of a cigar touching the humidifier? All my cigars are in their cello wraps still so its not wrapper on humidifier. just trying to figure out best ways to position devices and smokes in a couple humi options im lookin at now.
    If you spray the beads, make sure you wipe down the bag after. As long as you do that, they can touch. I used beads for 8 months with cigars touching the bag and never had a problem.However, you don't wanna completely cover the bag..
    Awesome! Yeah i was thinking i would try to build a a little rack to give a buffer between the humidifier and my sticks. that way there is some breathing space between the two for airflow. My dad builds a lot of model cars so he might have some goodies i can use to build it. Depending on the humi i go with of course.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beads ARE Kitty Litter! Kitty Litter IS beads!

• ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Awesome! Yeah i was thinking i would try to build a a little rack to give a buffer between the humidifier and my sticks. that way there is some breathing space between the two for airflow. My dad builds a lot of model cars so he might have some goodies i can use to build it. Depending on the humi i go with of course.
    Most humidors come with cedar seperators that work perfect for this. Also, the bags that heartfelt sells can be had cheaper at you local pet store. I picked up a 12" x 4" bag that HI sells for over 3.00 fo 1.50 at Petco.
    Bag? Pardon my lack of knowledge on this. It's still odd thinking about putting kitty litter in my humidor. Lol
    LiquidChaos66:
    Bag? Pardon my lack of knowledge on this. It's still odd thinking about putting kitty litter in my humidor. Lol
    Man, having used boveda, KL and beads...here is my opinion.Boveda is the easiest, but you have to replace them. Beads are not much harder, last a long long time and are not too expensive if you only need to use them in a humi. KL is really good if you need a ton (IE cooler, wineador). The main reason people use KL is because it's cheap. Well, enough beads to keep a humi going are not too expensive, and they are designed to do just that.That's why I like beads for my humi. When I get my cooler, I'll probably use KL in that.
    For the humidors I'm lookin at its gonna be about $40+for beads. Thinking of the cigars I've got it's worth the investment. You know where I could get a couple empty pucks or trays for beads or kitty litter?
    LiquidChaos66:
    For the humidors I'm lookin at its gonna be about $40+for beads. Thinking of the cigars I've got it's worth the investment. You know where I could get a couple empty pucks or trays for beads or kitty litter?
    Heartfelt sells socks and tubes, you can use nylon stockings, Tupperware trays, empty cigar coffins....lots of options. Fourty bucks is not bad at all man...I've spoke to people who have used the same beads for five years. Don't let me turn you off to KL, I'm just giving you my opinion. Everyone has a thing that works for them, be it cutting, draw technique, etc etc.
    I have yet to be talked out of anything. Lol my uncertainty about little litter (I don't know why I love saying kitty litter... I giggle inside like a 2nd grader talking you farts when I do) is I just don't know enough about them right now. I've been pleasantly happy with my Dr. RH jars and still might keep using those. I like my humi sitting in the 68-70 zone and have had great luck holding it there with my jar. Haven't decided yet. I really like everyone's input on their experiences with their humidification methods. I may use kitty litter when I get a cooler just for cost effective reasons.
    Michael, I get it...you like KL.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I love heartfelt and use their disk humidifier (65%) and it has beemn going strong for years. I added a little more 65 beads in a nylon sock for more stability; smaller humi needed help holding rh.

I bought kitty litter for my cooler cause beads wouldve been close to $100. It works great and ive added it to other humidors as well. For smaller applications id go litter or beads. For bigger its litter all the way just for price.

I have always wanted a heartfelt tube... may buy one and fill with kl.

just for future reference... dont shake beads around. Theyll break apart and turn to dust. Just spray or let them soak up ambient rh. They dont need to be jostled around to get water in there (especially in a hard plastic disk or tube).
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    All this talk about Heartfelt Beads, I just went over their website and bought a couple (more) tubes. I've had the last three for many years and my humidors could use an update.
    Im thinkin i might be settled on the Medium rectangular humidifier. Doesnt take up a lot of space and would be larger than i would need for the humi im lookin at. Good stability, great product reputation and decent price.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    The rectangular hygros are pretty cheap and I have about 50 of them and got em off the auction sites...just catch them when they are cheap as I got mine for about a $1 each. Open the top ( there is an easy way to do this without cutting your fingers off or breaking the plastic ) and take out that floral foam...that stuff is a mold incubator at best. Once you've taken the foam out refill it with beads or KL and you're all set. I have most of my plastic hygros filled with KL...about 25 of them and the others ( 10 ) are filled with beads that I bought years ago ......they still work well but I knew with my collection that buying beads was going to bankrupt me.
    Cigary:
    The rectangular hygros are pretty cheap and I have about 50 of them and got em off the auction sites...just catch them when they are cheap as I got mine for about a $1 each. Open the top ( there is an easy way to do this without cutting your fingers off or breaking the plastic ) and take out that floral foam...that stuff is a mold incubator at best. Once you've taken the foam out refill it with beads or KL and you're all set. I have most of my plastic hygros filled with KL...about 25 of them and the others ( 10 ) are filled with beads that I bought years ago ......they still work well but I knew with my collection that buying beads was going to bankrupt me.
    Please explain the "easy way" to us. How to open up the black rectangular humidifiers. I broke one open the hard way. Luckily, I still have all my fingers but I have to use cable ties to hold it together now.
    Easy way....take a good stiff sharp knife and slide it into either long side of the hygro...then slowly push it up until it's about half way...then do the other side the same way...then take the knife and put it under the lip and just lift off. You can do it on the long or short sides but you have to use a really good stiff knife that won't bend...the tip of the knife should be sharp enough to slide it into the side ....there used to be a U Tube short movie on this and if I find it I'll come back and post it.
    Please do post if you find it! :) I would rather do that than spend the extra money on a premade one.
    I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xIeOxGvtK1E but this isn't the same humifier that is very familiar to me. The ones I'm used to seeing have a Q logo in the middle of the front and are glued together very firmly.
    I've seen those as well....the humidifier in the U Tube isn't like the ones I won on auction. The crease isn't in the middle like that but it's made to fit where it's inserted which is why you need a sharp knife or flat head screw driver where you insert it and then 'jimmy' it up first on one side and then the other. This is what another person wrote: Grab a flat-head screwdriver and slide it between the two plastic parts of the humidifier. It's easiest if you slide your screwdriver into the center of one of the long edges of the humidifier. Then, slide your screwdriver up into the corner of your humidifier, and with some gentle plying motion, you should be able to open up your humidifier. Inside you'll see some foam stuff. Pop that out, and then rinse the plastic parts of your humidifier. I should make a U Tube movie on the easy way to do this. I have so many that I did and once you know how to do it...the next 30 are easy. This is the kind I have: http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1520491/Humidifier-Large-Rectangle/ http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1520241/HUMI-CARE-HX10-Rectangle-Humidifier/
    I have a humi-care blue one and those are easy to open. Those black ones are what I have too. The only black rectangular one I ever opened up was crazy glued or something . I cracked the housing trying to separate it. I really like those for use with beads/KL so I'm willing to try again. But I sure would like to see your youtube video first :)
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    if you are near a pet store that sells fish supplies you could always pick up a couple of bags that are used for carbon, they sell them empty in various sizes and numbers! thats what i did! and fwiw, i use kitty litter in my cooler and it is rock solid, with little to no maintenance
    reggie713:
    if you are near a pet store that sells fish supplies you could always pick up a couple of bags that are used for carbon, they sell them empty in various sizes and numbers! thats what i did! and fwiw, i use kitty litter in my cooler and it is rock solid, with little to no maintenance
    Do the bags made for fish tank use keep the kitty litter dust from getting everywhere?