Home Non Cigar Related

Cigars and more for Veterans

RBeckam suggested I start a thread about Texas County Veterans because of all the Vets on this Forum. So here it is. Not sure what say all yet but its a start.
I live in a rural county of Texas and was asked to become the Peer to Peer counsellor/coordinator for Veterans in the county. I agreed and became certified. Great a piece of paper and $40/mo to offset cell phone costs. I also suffer from PTSD so I found I needed to surround myself with others that had a heart for Veterans. We started Erath County Veterans later expanding to Texas County Veterans as we became active in other counties. We are a full 501(c)(3) Corporation which means we're a non political charity. Our Vision is unique in that we are suited to work in the rural counties where there is little to no help for Veterans and their families.
You can find out more about us at www.texascountyveterans.com
I would someday like to see expansion across the country. It only takes 4 committed individuals to setup a Division of TCV and become an immediat 501(c)(3) organization. Contact me if you are interested in finding out more about us or wanting to help.
We whatever is necessary to help a Vet and their families. Our rules are not as stringent as the VA or other organizations. Every Veteran is is evaluated for the signature they placed on the contract and the oath they took.
We don't care where you may fall on the pyramid of needs. We also know that to help a Vet with their emotional problems you must first address the most basic needs.
I will add more as time goes by. Semper Fi.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    :)
    How about "cigars for veterans"? Hehe. These forum guys pitch in for active members overseas all the time. In fact, they are very generous with cigars.

Look at my signature
    " A good cigar, no matter the cost, is an investment in one's mental health "

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Yup. Consider it changed.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Tex, I was taking up a collection to distribute to our boys and girls here in the states but received a lot of negative responses from the organizations I contacted. I'd be willing to split the mother lode and send part to you for your organization and the rest go out to Cigars For Warriors. What say ya, brother.
    Please don't hold it against me because I'm ex-Navy...
    With deep gratitude I will except your offer. Place a value on it and I will get you a receipt for the IRS. Unlike many organizations I can vouch that 100% of everything received goes to our Veterans and their families. I once had a savings account. LOL
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I like what 'm reading on your thread as it seems to be taking on a life of it's own.
    I also will be your advocate on the web, what I can not do financially I can more than make up for in furthering your cause.
    Congratulations on a good first day and here's to many more.
    Salute!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    :)
    PM to you, Walt.
    I continue to spread the word to all my military friends and they're friends by default. What I hope to accomplish is a movement to at the very least start a medical transport system in your state. In Georgia, we are lucky enough to have this system even in the remotest of areas if a person qualifies, I do but have yet to need it thankfully, The state government from Texas will shortly be bombarded with letters complaining about the lack of help for it's Veteran's.
    I hope this rally might help to further your cause my friend.
    I hope it does as well. All your efforts are sincerely appreciated. On 8/17 Hico(home of Billy the Kid so they claim) is hosting a Poker run. The interest by different Motorcycle clubs and groups is growing. We're looking at 500-800 bikes at this date. The run is followed by a party in the center of town till 11pm. The beer and soda concession will be run by one of our Divisions; Erath County Veterans with beer proceeds going to them. The proceeds from the poker run will go to Fisher House in San Antonio.
    I took the liberty of posting your photo on Facebook and PM'ed a few friends to pass it along.
    Far to often we forget the Veterans who fought in wars before our time, this I feel is a shame.
    In my own family I had to deal with the deaths of two very special people that time had forgotten they're personal sacrifice. A grandfather who was a proud Marine in WW1 and a uncle who died in a VA Hospital alone in Atlanta because his family could not afford to see him every day because of the low income the government offers. One day I hope to be able to capitalize the word government again and say I am proud of what it does, sadly the time is not upon us now.
    I understand what you are saying. A friend of mine, a combat medic Vietnam vet told me that the Wounded Warrior project is not helping Vietnam era Vets. Just the younger ones. They are happy to take our donations but don't ask for help if your a Vietnam Vet. So my friend I understand what you mean. I managed to get a Veteran with traumatic brain injury into a private psych hosp. The Va would not help him because he did not have 2 yrs accumulated time in because he was Natl. Guard during peace time. Our organization doesen't look at things like that. He signed the dotted line and he served. Thats all we care about. We've helped a number of Vets that fell between the cracks because of some Beurocratic BS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I didn't realize WWP (I'm a volunteer) didn't serve VV. I can't hook you up until about late July but I would be happy to ship some cigars your way for donations. Thanks for your service and contributions.
    james40:
    I didn't realize WWP (I'm a volunteer) didn't serve VV. I can't hook you up until about late July but I would be happy to ship some cigars your way for donations. Thanks for your service and contributions.

I qualified my statement that my friend had "told me". I believe what he tells me but let me know if you find out otherwise. I appreciate and thank you for your offer and thank you for volunteering to serve our Veterans.
    Even though our opinions may collide somewhat, I want you to know that I truly believe in your cause and will continue to promote it across the web.
    You, in my mind are a great man for what you do for our Hero's from the past and when I become financially able, I will be helping in that way as best as I can.
    I know that sometimes even a small amount of cash will go a long way.
    Also I need the names of your state Congressmen to be able to continue with my work from home.
    This is where I plan on making the most impact, along with my friends.
    You have a PM, Walt.