Home Non Cigar Related

A Quiz for Baseball Fans

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I got 3/10 :(http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9398358/think-know-baseball-rules-take-our-quiz?src=mobile 1. The Phillies have Ben Revere on second base and no outs when Michael Young hits a shot to Reds third baseman Todd Frazier, who is playing at normal depth. On the pitch, Revere attempts to steal third and is hit by the batted ball while sliding into the base. Even though Revere was on third base when struck by the batted ball, he should be called out because he interfered with Frazier and kept him from making a play. True or false? 2. The Indians have Michael Bourn on first base and one out when Nick Swisher launches a fly to deep center field. Bourn rounds second base and then tries to retreat to first base thinking the ball will be caught by Yankees center fielder Brett Gardner. But Gardner can't reach the ball and, in the process, Swisher heads to second base and is about to pass Bourn, who is returning to first base. Swisher, realizing the ball was not caught, pushes Bourn toward second. Bourn reaches second safely while Swisher returns to first. Swisher should be called out for making contact with Bourn and assisting him on the bases. True or false? 3. The Cubs have Starlin Castro on second and Welington Castillo on first and no outs when Darwin Barney bunts the ball about 20 feet in the air. Mets pitcher Matt Harvey allows the ball to fall to the ground untouched and starts a 1-5-4-3 triple play. There is no argument, but the umpires should have called the infield fly rule to protect the runners. True or false? 4. The Astros bat out of order in the first inning as they do not follow the lineup card submitted to the plate umpire prior to the game. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly does not appeal the batting out of order since no runner reached base. Astros manager Bo Porter can correct the mistake and have his team bat in proper order the remainder of the game without penalty. True or false? 5. The Pirates have Neil Walker on third base and one out when Pedro Alvarez hits a fly ball near the stands along the third-base line. Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre makes a leaping catch and falls into the stands, holding on to the ball. The catch should count, but as soon as Beltre falls into the stands, time should have been called and Walker should have been sent home and allowed to score. True or false? 6. The Angels have the bases loaded and no outs. Kansas City's infield is playing in when Josh Hamilton hits a shot that gets by Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer and hits Albert Pujols, who is immediately behind Hosmer and headed to second base. Even though the ball strikes Pujols, he should not be called out because no other infielder had a chance to make the play after the ball got past Hosmer. True or false? 7. The Twins have the bases loaded and two outs when Justin Morneau wallops a grand slam. Josh Willingham, the runner on first base, misses second base as he circles the bases. The Athletics appeal that Willingham missed second base, and the appeal is upheld. Willingham is called out. The Twins should score two runs on the play. True or false? 8. The Red Sox have Dustin Pedroia on second and no outs. David Ortiz is the batter facing White Sox pitcher Jose Quintana, who does not make a complete stop in his set position. Umpire Dale Scott yells "Balk," but Quintana delivers the pitch and Ortiz crushes it for a home run. Because Quintana balked, the ball is dead, the home run is nullified, and Pedroia is sent to third base. Ortiz must remain in the batter's box with the same count as before the balk occurred. True or false? 9. The Blue Jays are playing the Padres. In the eighth inning, Jays manager John Gibbons goes to the mound to remove R.A. Dickey. He brings in Chad Jenkins and spends some time going over the situation with the reliever. Gibbons walks back toward the dugout and crosses the foul line when he decides he wants to give further instructions to Jenkins. Gibbons should not be allowed to do this because it would give him two trips to the mound with the same batter at bat. True or false? 10. The Orioles have Nick Markakis on third and no outs when Chris Davis hits a ground ball to Mariners second baseman Nick Franklin and is out 4-3. On the play, Markakis scores from third. But plate umpire Todd Tichenor calls catcher's interference on Mariners catcher Jesus Sucre. Tichenor carries out the penalty of the rule and sends Markakis back to third and awards Davis first base. Orioles manager Buck Showalter informs Tichenor that he wants to take the play instead of the penalty. This means that Showalter trades the out for the run. Tichenor does not allow Showalter to do this, claiming the ball is dead the moment Davis' bat makes contact with the catcher's mitt. The umpire is correct. True or false? Answers 1. True. With the exception of the infield fly rule, the base does not provide a sanctuary for the runner if struck by a batted ball while on it. 2. False. A runner can assist another runner as long as he did not score or was already put out. A runner can actually carry a teammate around the bases. 3. False. Bunts are not included in the infield fly rule. The umpires were correct in not invoking the rule. 4. True. The offensive team can correct the error at any time during the game. 5. True. When a fielder carries the ball into dead ball territory and controls the ball, he is credited with the catch but all runners are awarded one base on the play. 6. True. When a runner is struck by a batted ball, he should not be called out if no other infielder has a chance to make a play. This applies only if the ball has passed an infielder. 7. False. No runs can score when an inning ends in a forceout. Because Willingham was forced to go to second on the play, the appeal resulted in an inning-ending forceout. 8. False. When a balk is called, the play is not necessarily dead. If all runners including the batter advance at least one base on the play, the balk is nullified. 9. False. Gibbons was within his rights to return to the mound. He had not yet made a visit to Jenkins since the original visit is charged to Dickey, the pitcher being removed from the game. 10. False. The ball is not dead when catcher's interference is called. If all runners including the batter advance one base, the infraction is ignored. However, if that does not happen, the manager of the offensive team can elect to take the play instead of the penalty -- sounds like football! In baseball, however, the manager must initiate the conference with the umpire. If he doesn't, the umpire will carry out the penalty aspect of the rule. In the play in question, Markakis would be returned to third since he was not forced to advance on the play and Davis would be awarded first base.

Comments

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    3/10 also. Which did you get. Mine were 2,8,9. :(
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    4/10. I had no idea the catch-and-carry rule applied to baseball! Learned a lot from this, actually, great post!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Got 1, 2, 3, 7.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    The roller girls win
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    1 3 and 9. And I just learned last night that a bunt does not qualify for an infield fly.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6/10 ...... damn, some of these I thought for sure I was right (missed 4,5,8,9)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:
    #5, I thought tagging the base would come into play ... interesting
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    Catch and carry rule is nasty. I've yelled like a lunatic at first and third basemen in my softball league to let foul balls go w/ less than 2 outs, esp. with runners on 2nd and 3rd.
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    Catch and carry rule is nasty. I've yelled like a lunatic at first and third basemen in my softball league to let foul balls go w/ less than 2 outs, esp. with runners on 2nd and 3rd.
    Well then it's obvious that the players also don't know about this rule because they rush the ball back in the infield thinking that the runners may tag up.
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    Well then it's obvious that the players also don't know about this rule because they rush the ball back in the infield thinking that the runners may tag up.
    There's a difference between out of bounds and foul territory. A fly caught in foul territory is live and players can tag up. A fly caught out of bounds is dead and runners advance one base automatically. What's crazy is that if you catch the ball on the run in foul territory and run out of bounds, the catch AND CARRY rule still applies, so it's best to just let 'em go. It doesn't frequently apply to MLB because I believe in all major league ballparks the only parts out of bounds are the stands. But technically if a fielder were to catch a ball in foul territory and then go over the wall, it would apply.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    8/10 baby!!!! But to be honest I thought I was 10 for 10. I missed 6 and 10.
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    But technically if a fielder were to catch a ball in foul territory and then go over the wall, it would apply.
    Ahhhhh. I think this is where I'm getting confused.... I think. Does the player's whole body have to fly in the stands? I see it all the time where an infielder catches a ball that's clearly in the dugout and they end up falling in but runners don't advance. Or is this something totally diff? Is the dugout considered foul territory?
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    5/10 -- #1,2,3,5, and 9 correct. By my experience, I seem to be right as often as the umpires!!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    But technically if a fielder were to catch a ball in foul territory and then go over the wall, it would apply.
    Ahhhhh. I think this is where I'm getting confused.... I think. Does the player's whole body have to fly in the stands? I see it all the time where an infielder catches a ball that's clearly in the dugout and they end up falling in but runners don't advance. Or is this something totally diff? Is the dugout considered foul territory?
    Good question, not sure where the dugout falls. I *think* the out of bounds line is the wall, which is technically behind the dugout. Of course any ballpark can make any rules for out of bounds territory that they want...
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    Good question, not sure where the dugout falls. I *think* the out of bounds line is the wall, which is technically behind the dugout. Of course any ballpark can make any rules for out of bounds territory that they want...
    what if an outfielder goes out of bounds catching a home run ball? Just a Hypothetical? Think about it.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Dugouts are out of bounds.And I'm not sure about the "Crossing the foul line" pitcher part. I got it right, but for the wrong reason.I think it was two years ago. Donny came out and took the ball from MR Kuo. Our Closer, Broxton, came to the mound. Donny gave him the ball and started to leave. He took a few steps, then turned around and went back on to the mound to talk to Broxton. Bud Black complained to the umps, and they made Donny take Broxton out because he had been to the mound twice, once to give Broxton the ball and once when he spoke to him again.
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    what if an outfielder goes out of bounds catching a home run ball? Just a Hypothetical? Think about it.
    You have to land in bounds catching a home run. You can't hop the fence into the bullpen and make the catch lol
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    You have to land in bounds catching a home run. You can't hop the fence into the bullpen and make the catch lol
    I'm thinking a catch made on the fence that carried the player into the bullpen area. Can the runners tag or do they just get one base?
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    I'm thinking a catch made on the fence that carried the player into the bullpen area. Can the runners tag or do they just get one base?
    99% sure that's a home run.
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    danielzreyes:
    99% sure that's a home run.
    Numerous highlight reels show that this is a caught ball. Q#5 is really effing with our heads man.
    I'm deferring to this, the Official MLB Rules, and I'm going to read them now and probably learn a thing or three.
    Rule 7.04 Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when—
    Rule 7.04(c) A fielder, after catching a fly ball, falls into a bench or stand, or falls across ropes into a crowd when spectators are on the field;
    Rule 7.04(c) Comment: If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should fall into a stand or among spectators or into the dugout or any other out-of-play area while in possession of the ball after making a legal catch, or fall while in the dugout after making a legal catch, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be e put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder fell into, or in, such out-of-play area.

Rule 6.05 A batter is out when— (a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder;
    Rule 6.05(a) Comment: A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch, and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, , in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as described in Rule 7.04(c) Comment.

I can't find anything that specifically dictates what happens if you catch and fall into home run territory. Closest is:
    Rule 6.09: The batter becomes a runner when—
    Rule 6.09(d) A fair ball passes over a fence or into the stands at a distance from home base of 250 feet or more. Such hit entitles the batter to a home run when he shall have touched all bases legally. A fair fly ball that passes out of the playing field at a point less than 250 feet from home base shall entitle the batter to advance to second base only;

Which seems to imply once it passes the fence it's a home run, but obviously you can stick your glove over and save it at least so IDK.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lTsDrMeF-I

batter out

(If someone can help me with the video linky thingy deal I'd appreciate it) :)
    danielzreyes:

batter out

Well I'll be darned. Seems awful tough to tell if he held the ball through the landing.
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

batter out

Well I'll be darned. Seems awful tough to tell if he held the ball through the landing.
    that's a whole other topic lol ..... I'm gonna say that I got #5 right so I got 7/10 lol
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

batter out

that's a whole other topic lol ..... I'm gonna say that I got #5 right so I got 7/10 lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lTsDrMeF-I
    This is exactly what im talking about.
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

batter out

Sorry bro, #5 has a guy fall into the stands, out of bounds, not the bullpen. The rules I posted clearly state that #5 is true.
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

batter out

Sorry bro, #5 has a guy fall into the stands, out of bounds, not the bullpen. The rules I posted clearly state that #5 is true.
    Hmmm. That Jeter play where he gets a bloody face comes to mind. I wonder if there were runners on base.
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

batter out

Hmmm. That Jeter play where he gets a bloody face comes to mind. I wonder if there were runners on base.
    2 outs, just checked.
    Link

I don't know how to embed eitiher.
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

batter out

2 outs, just checked.
    Link

I don't know how to embed eitiher.
    Hmmm ok.