Fell into the trap

onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gurkha; My patience wears thin.image

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Get use to it lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    I've about givin up on Gurka's. sucks cus I have a hand full taking up space in the humi. I kept saying I'll just give em another shot and everyone has had problems. Oh well live and learn I guess
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard not to hold out hope. If you get one that is well constructed, the tobaccos are usually great. Mighty big IF though.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Stsepas:
    I've about givin up on Gurka's. sucks cus I have a hand full taking up space in the humi
    ... I DONT anymore.

not even worth the humidity they soak up.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    It's hard not to hold out hope. If you get one that is well constructed, the tobaccos are usually great. Mighty big IF though.
    I Agree, however I am starting to feel that the aggravation is not worth it, there are a lot of sticks out there that I haven't tried, unfortuinetly I do have quite a few, most have preformed ok, this particular Mazo Blows big time, 4 out of 7 either plugged or exploded, not likely to buy any more.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    Amos Umwhat:
    I Agree, however I am starting to feel that the aggravation is not worth it, there are a lot of sticks out there that I haven't tried, unfortuinetly I do have quite a few, most have preformed ok, this particular Mazo Blows big time, 4 out of 7 either plugged or exploded, not likely to buy any more.
    when I buy gurkha it has to be less then 2 bucks a stick. Smoke while I do yard work and that's about it.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I must me very lucky, I've tried several different one's and haven't had a problem, yet. This will probably jinx me now. Matter of fact I just ordered a box of Park Ave's the other day. Nice, cheap, everyday smoke and everyone that I've given one to has been happy with it. Hope my luck holds out.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    mfotis:
    I must me very lucky, I've tried several different one's and haven't had a problem, yet. This will probably jinx me now. Matter of fact I just ordered a box of Park Ave's the other day. Nice, cheap, everyday smoke and everyone that I've given one to has been happy with it. Hope my luck holds out.
    I buy them by the box. I've had one Gurkha me so far. It didn't even blow up, it just wouldn't draw.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    mfotis:
    I buy them by the box. I've had one Gurkha me so far. It didn't even blow up, it just wouldn't draw.
    This (below) is from the other thread that Kuzi linked to above. Seems like PA might be the exception because of the involvment of the ever awesome AJ:
    ddubridge:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Heavy:
    I've always thought the Park Ave was a nice cheap connie with a little rest, so I'll smoke those here and there lol
    Makes you wonder, did they outsource the manufacturing of those? I've had some really good Gurkhas from time to time, but I can't pay premium price for "maybe". Used to seem like 50-50 chance, but for the last couple years any Gurkha I had came uninvited. A couple were OK, I held on to a Beast for a year, smoked it for 10 minutes before it exploded, which was a shame because there were some good tasting tobaccos in it. Poor quality.
    PA is rolled by AJ and is 99%. I have bought multiple boxes and only one dud in the bunch. I do find lots if other QC issue with most of the other blends from Gurkha. Perfecto's are the worst.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    ddubridge:
    mfotis:
    This (below) is from the other thread that Kuzi linked to above. Seems like PA might be the exception because of the involvment of the ever awesome AJ:
    ddubridge:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Heavy:
    I've always thought the Park Ave was a nice cheap connie with a little rest, so I'll smoke those here and there lol
    Makes you wonder, did they outsource the manufacturing of those? I've had some really good Gurkhas from time to time, but I can't pay premium price for "maybe". Used to seem like 50-50 chance, but for the last couple years any Gurkha I had came uninvited. A couple were OK, I held on to a Beast for a year, smoked it for 10 minutes before it exploded, which was a shame because there were some good tasting tobaccos in it. Poor quality.
    PA is rolled by AJ and is 99%. I have bought multiple boxes and only one dud in the bunch. I do find lots if other QC issue with most of the other blends from Gurkha. Perfecto's are the worst.
    I may or may not buy boxes of Park Avenues and of those boxes, I may or may not have had one issue. Geeze. Sound like a frickin broken record. lol.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why people continue to buy Gurkhas. Yeah, they can be had for pretty cheap, but there are so many GOOD cigars available in the $2-$4 range that aren't a gamble. I think I've smoked one and have never seen a reason to drop a single dime on them.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    I'm not sure why people continue to buy Gurkhas. Yeah, they can be had for pretty cheap, but there are so many GOOD cigars available in the $2-$4 range that aren't a gamble. I think I've smoked one and have never seen a reason to drop a single dime on them.
    I didn't know any better at the time! LOL.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    SleevePlz:
    I didn't know any better at the time! LOL.
    Lol, I was really referring to those that continue to buy them for the price despite the horrendous odds of getting a decent stick. Heck, my first online cigar purchase was from the worst cigar company online. You don't know until you know!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Poor Gurkhas take a beating but somebody and a lot of somebodys buy them. I tend to think their ad/marketing folks do a great job because the ones who tend to smoke them are the new kids and that gives Gurkha their popularity. Most of the brothers tend to say what it being said of them on this thread...they just aren't a cigar for those who know cigars albeit they do have a few that I tend to like every now and then if I get them in a trade or somebody just gives them to me. I have never bought a Gurkha and doubt I ever will...but that's just my preference as there are too many good cigars out there that are so much better and cheaper.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I've lived outside the US since I've started smoking cigars and I don't think I've ever seen any advertising for any cigar much less Gurkha. I don't know when I tried my first PA but I've liked them ever since, I also bought a box of Empire II that are almost gone and I never had any problems with those either. I have no doubt that the BOTL's in here have had a bad run with the brand, I'm just saying that I haven't had any problems and I've liked most of the ones that I've smoked. At the moment, the only ones I buy with any consistency is the PA's and I got a friend hooked on the PA maduro. Like I said, it's a cheap everyday smoke and I don't mind giving them away to those you want to "try" a cigar. Hope my luck keeps up!!!
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....BUT.... Ive never had a Cellar Reserve act up on me..