Home General Discussion

Smoking in Cruises

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
My wife booked a cruise trip from Seattle to Alaska with Princess Cruise as part of our summer vacation. I am not a huge fan of being on the ship for a week. This is also going to be my first cruise trip in my life. I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have any idea how they handle smoking in a cruise ship. My wife told me I can smoke but without any detail. Is it really fun to be on a ship for a week? I am not so sure. Thanks!

Comments

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I've been on 2 cruises. Both had what they called an "Oak Room" which was dedicated to cigar smoking. You can usually check out the ships layout online to see if there is a cigar room. I also smoked from my balcony. Take plenty of sticks. There are smokes to buy onboard but they are priced to be on Wheel Of Fortune. Have fun!!
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been on 3 so far.... Best times of my life. The first one I went on all I did was sit on my balcony and smoke Cohibas... Second lots of Graycliff... Third one..... More CCs. If you have a balcony youre all set. If not you can smoke on most/some decks. I will say all mine were Royal and to nice warm, CC selling islands.

PS..... Two words..... Orient beach.......IVe done it and loved it.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Michael. This is encouraging. I have a 100 cigars capacity travel humidor. On top of that cigar always bring two strangers together and sometime it can be the beginning of a wonderful friendship. What I am still wondering is how people stay on a ship for 7 days? This ship will stop in Vancouver for six hours and my goal is to visit a cigar shop for some ISOM. Do they allow to bring your own alcoholic beverage on board? I will check ships layout online as suggested.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.
    Poopy Jones:
    I've been on 2 cruises. Both had what they called an "Oak Room" which was dedicated to cigar smoking. You can usually check out the ships layout online to see if there is a cigar room. I also smoked from my balcony. Take plenty of sticks. There are smokes to buy onboard but they are priced to be on Wheel Of Fortune. Have fun!!
    Peter, we will have a balcony but my wife told me- smoking is not allowed on balconies except designated areas. She assured me that they have nice smoking areas. However, not sure if that includes a smoking lounge. She is in the U.S. so I have no idea how she is handling the whole trip plan. Thanks!
    Vision:
    Ive been on 3 so far.... Best times of my life. The first one I went on all I did was sit on my balcony and smoke Cohibas... Second lots of Graycliff... Third one..... More CCs. If you have a balcony youre all set. If not you can smoke on most/some decks. I will say all mine were Royal and to nice warm, CC selling islands.

Hi Michael, after googling I found this:

Lounges

Whether you're in the mood for a cozy space to sip cocktails with someone special or a swanky place to savor a cigar and make new friends, Princess ships provide it all.

•Explorer's Lounge Virtual Tour

•Player's Cigar Bar*

•Promenade Lounge and Bar

Now I am set. I won't be bored as long as they allow me to smoke-:)

Thanks for the tips brother.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Thanks Michael. This is encouraging. I have a 100 cigars capacity travel humidor. On top of that cigar always bring two strangers together and sometime it can be the beginning of a wonderful friendship. What I am still wondering is how people stay on a ship for 7 days? This ship will stop in Vancouver for six hours and my goal is to visit a cigar shop for some ISOM. Do they allow to bring your own alcoholic beverage on board? I will check ships layout online as suggested.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.
    Poopy Jones:
    7 days and I didn't want to leave. Food, booze, cigars, romance, dancing and just reconnecting. We did ours in 05 & 07 with Holland America. We did bring a bottle with us. Check with Princess to see what they allow
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Peter, we will have a balcony but my wife told me- smoking is not allowed on balconies except designated areas. She assured me that they have nice smoking areas. However, not sure if that includes a smoking lounge. She is in the U.S. so I have no idea how she is handling the whole trip plan. Thanks!
    Vision:

Have fun but I'd till be a little worried...never been on a cruise, they never looked appealing. If I still lived in the Seattle area I'd head out to meet up with you! But, have a great time and enjoy yourself!
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I do a cruise every year for the past 7 years. I love them. You can always smoke in your balcony if you have one. You can smoke a cigarette anywhere outdoors but they ask for you to smoke cigars on the top aft deck. Most ships do have a bar lounge that allows you to smoke cigars in it. My last cruise ship had a fun jazz bar with a full bar, live performance, and proper ventilation for cigar smoking. If you ship doesn't have an indoor area just smoke on your balcony or on the top aft of the ship.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    The wife and I have been on about 30 cruises and at least 12 with Princess. You will love the Alaska cruise and hope you booked a balcony...the best views will be from your own stateroom. Depending on what ship you are on there are some decent cigar lounges but some of the ships are NO SMOKING. Let me know what ship you will be on and I have probably been on it. **Just read your responses and looks like you're set with the smoking lounge...some of them are in the Sports Lounge and yes...last Jan. of 2012 there is no smoking on the balconys of the ship...if you get caught it's a $250 fine...the stewards WILL rat you out. As far as the booze and being able to carry it on...I believe you can bring 2 bottles of wine each w/o any issue...Spirits are now allowed to be brought onboard ship but there are ways to bring it on...very sneaky ways to accomplish this.
    Jim, I will spend few days(2-3) in Lakewood. Once I have the dates I will let you know. If it works then I would love to get together for a smoke.
    Bigshizza:
    rzaman:
    Vision:

Have fun but I'd till be a little worried...never been on a cruise, they never looked appealing. If I still lived in the Seattle area I'd head out to meet up with you! But, have a great time and enjoy yourself!
    Thanks Edelrionyc and Gray for sharing your experience. I am getting excited of the trip. Apparently, there is no issue smoking in the designated areas.
  • BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    After reading through this thread, i really want to go on a cruise now!!
    Like anything else Cruises can be a great time or the worst experience you've ever had. Question everything from those who've gone on them and ask what made their experience the best. 20 plus cruises kind of makes me want to help those who have never gone or those who have been but had a bad experience. If you do it right it's one of the best vacations ever. Pricing Best Cruise Line for Food Best type of Cabins and location How to get the best service from your Steward When is the best time to cruise Best ports of call TransAtlantic Cruises are the best deal ever What's better...small ship or big or intermediate Best deals for Specialty Restaurants on the Ship ( amazing food for a fraction of what you'd think to pay ) Finding which Cruiselines that will let you cruise with your kids where it's free...that's right...free.
  • bigmatt72bigmatt72 Posts: 89
    I took a princess cruise in 2011 and my dad, brothers and I enjoyed cubans on the back deck, this is what got me into smoking cigars. They also have a dedicated cigar lounge where we enjoyed cognac sifters and other expensive drinks.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i didn't go on a cruise when i was smoking cigars, but i will say this. The cruise I went on was the single worst vacation that i have ever been on. Too cramped, bar bill was outrageous, too much of what you can do revolves around the weather, when in port always felt pressed for time. the only good thing about the cruise was the food, and that even felt rushed

with all the positives about cruises on here, i couldn't help but throw in my .02.....which is that i will never go on a cruise ever again.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Just got off my 7th cruise and going on the 8th in 20days. All the ones I have been on either have a dedicated cigar smoking lounge or big outside smoking place. Had a great time on each one. One word of advise. Take your own cigars. All they sell is over price crap.
  • bigmatt72bigmatt72 Posts: 89
    On a side note at least when I went on a princess cruise all the restaurants are all you can eat. So if you go to the steak house you can get a filet, ny strip, 4 lobster tails. Whatever you want try multiple appetizers and desserts.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I'm thinkin your wife is lookin out for you Rip. Have a good time.
  • havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Looks like most Princess Cruises to Alaska leave from Vancouver. And you know what that means---Cubans! I would spend some time learning to spot counterfeits (not always easy in Canada) and once confident, go into downtown Vancouver and stock up. Just make sure you smoke them all before you come home!
    There are some great cruises from Seattle and some that end in Anchorage...but then you're looking at A/F back to your home. Vancouver is probably my favorite port to actually start from..get there a few days early and enjoy the city on your own.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    It's been quite awhile since I've been there but I agree that Vancouver is a very fun town! But then again, so is Seattle!
    Guys, sincere thanks to all of you for sharing your experience. I am really excited now. I will take many pictures and share my experience. Thanks a million!