Home General Discussion

Hatching beetles/heat wave issues

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So we are having a heat wave and we for have AC. My humi jumped up to 79 degrees and will have a hard time keeping it lower than that. How long does it take beetles to hatch at warm temps? Should I drop my humi in the crisper drawer in my fridge since there is no cool place in my house?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type of humi do u have? Cooler, tower, desktop, I found that my tower has been rising a bit due to the humidity here lately, so I have put a fan in front of it for a few hours during the hot part of the day, and so far it's been working.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a desktop. 50ct that's pretty much full lol so running a fan on it should help?
    Well I'm no expert, I'm sure others here know more than I do, but if it were me I would try opening it up for a little while and place a desktop fan near it and see if that works, not sure about the whole putting the smokes in the fridge, I think that's been discussed before somewhere. Just my 2 cents bro.
    Well any advice really helps! :) Expert or not! Ive got a few too many sticks (for my set up right now) to risk any losses. I would be heartbroken! lol
    Weather forecast for the week... mid 80s-mid 90s... Ive got my humi sitting in front of a fan for now. but i dont know how well it will keep up with the heat.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My humis has gotten up to 80s sometimes during summer. I keep my RH no higher than 68. Infact, my nc humis are 65-67 and cc humi are 62-64. I haven't had a beetle issue yet. (knock on spanish cedar)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Yeah same temp here plus rain, it should help it some bro, hope it works for ya.
    Im thinking i may wrap my humi and humi packets in a towel and stick them in the fridge. The towel to insulate and help keep the temp from dropping too fast. its just now 10 and its already 78 out. The fan has dropped in 2 degrees but its gonna get warmer pretty quick. i have some pipes and pipe tobacco to puff on this weekend while its warm... i might keep a few sticks out to light up later on. I try to keep my sticks around 66-70 degrees and doubt ill be able to do that this week. The high temps might be keeping up over a week. usually our house stays cool but no this time for some reason.
    rwheelwright:

Thanks for the links! Great info! :) Helps with my decision on how to store them a lot!
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I have a cooler with shelves and during summer, yes the temps here in HOuston shoot up. I'm not going to run my AC all day at 70 just to keep my cigars cool, my bill would be crazy!!! So I grabbed a few ice packs, about 6 of them from academy. I freeze 3 and put 3 in my cooler. When I get home, I put the 3 from the cooler in the freezer and take the 3 out the freezer into the cooler. Keeps my cooler temp at 70 throughout the day. Just put a small towel (4"x4") under it though. It doesnt drip, but of course, it will get moisture on it.

Enjoy and the money you save can buy you more stogies

similar to this

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12584073&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_-LIFESTYLECAMPING-_-LIFESTYLECAMPING-_-SKU-12194385&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:12584073:12194385:LIFESTYLECAMPING-
    zeebra:
    I have a cooler with shelves and during summer, yes the temps here in HOuston shoot up. I'm not going to run my AC all day at 70 just to keep my cigars cool, my bill would be crazy!!! So I grabbed a few ice packs, about 6 of them from academy. I freeze 3 and put 3 in my cooler. When I get home, I put the 3 from the cooler in the freezer and take the 3 out the freezer into the cooler. Keeps my cooler temp at 70 throughout the day. Just put a small towel (4"x4") under it though. It doesnt drip, but of course, it will get moisture on it.

Enjoy and the money you save can buy you more stogies

similar to this

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12584073&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_-LIFESTYLECAMPING-_-LIFESTYLECAMPING-_-SKU-12194385&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:12584073:12194385:LIFESTYLECAMPING-

I was thinking about doing that but i dont have a cooler big enough for it. :( lol not yet anyway. Im hoping that i wont have any issues keeping my humi in the fridge.... Im so nervous! i dont wanna ruin any. im sure all will be fine. I have a habit of really **** something up when i start a new hobby. I hope i can break the trend.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    keep an eye on the the cheaper cigars. all the reputable companies fumigate of freeze tobacco. you should be good in theory. if you arelly worry then zip loc all of you smokes and freeze them for about 48 hours. then all will be wonderful. that should kill the eggs
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Freeze once. Sleep well at night.