Home General Discussion

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    it is open air, i would love to see someone sue them because their stated reason is because of risks of second hand smoking which only applies to enclosed spaces and long term exposure.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All that fuss about second hand smoke is absolute ****. Especially outside... come on. Thanks Ricky.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    We have this in my city but people still smoke in the parks. The county I work for has also done this, but since the health dept. screwed up and made it only a policy rather than an ordinance it doesn't apply to anyone who doesn't have a contractual relationship with us. So campers have to obey, day trippers don't. If they are going to do it because they don't like the smell, be honest. Our health folks started with the nonsense of "no distance is safe" to which I replied "So the folks smoking in central park right now, four blocks from this office, are a threat to my health?" I hate exaggeration like that. I agree second hand smoke is bad, support bans on smoking inside, but in parks? Is the smoke from very few smokers these days really worse than the fumes from the cars 15 feet away? Or from the diesel generators on RV's in our campsites? Just be rational is all i ask. But, our health staff....
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    it is open air, i would love to see someone sue them because their stated reason is because of risks of second hand smoking which only applies to enclosed spaces and long term exposure.
    Yeah, I'd love to see them try to sue - more to the point, I'd love to see them try to PROVE that second-hand smoke causes cancer, much less anything other than a (to some) offensive odor.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Disney parks are heading towards being smoke free (possibly by the end of next year) which is very different but after being on the "enforcement" side of things i tend to agree with them on having a lot of public spaces being smoke free (i just completely lost my train of thought, blaming my fever on that one...sorry bout that.)so in essence while i can see how this is a bad think i can also see ho this can be very beneficial.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youre right kevin, it is because people feel just cause they think what you do stinks then they should never ever have to smell or see it. The "health" reasons are a thin excuse.

Since when does one person feel so entitled?? It's like some people, instead of respecting others' rights or being couteous, want to make laws upon laws...

If theres a smoker on a park bench and you dont like it, find another bench! And if theres people who are not smoking enjoying the park around a picnic table, find somewhere else to smoke!

The ONLY thing these laws, policies, ordinances do is pit one side vs. the other, "Im right you're wrong", and takes away the individual's responsibility to respect others and their rights (on both sides).

It isn't about good public policy, it's about "winning" the argument.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America