Home Non Cigar Related

College Footbal Season

ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

Sorry this thread is about COLLEGE FOOTBALL, screw the pros. Who is everybodies favorite team? Who's gonna win the BCS? OK discuss now. lol

Favorite team I bleed Husker red. GO BIG RED!

BCS champ is either going to be the Gators, or the Texas

Comments

• bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Huge PITT Fan, go Panthers!!!

Also an UNLV alum (which is almost unbearable during the football season) and lived in Idaho for a little while so big props to the Boise State Broncos.

Really don't see anybody beating the University of Florida Gators for the BCS Championship.

Rob
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Another PITT fan here...had season tickets last year, but didn't get them again this year because of the two-legger on the way. Pitt will win the Big East, but it's definitely a down year for the conference. I like PSU too and they'll win the Big Teneleven. The other team I root for, Michigan, needs to get rid of that knucklehead Rodriguez. Man do I miss Llyod Carr. And I concur, FLA wins the BCS Championship. Look out for Boise State though.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Luko:
    Another PITT fan here...had season tickets last year, but didn't get them again this year because of the two-legger on the way. Pitt will win the Big East, but it's definitely a down year for the conference. I like PSU too and they'll win the Big Teneleven. The other team I root for, Michigan, needs to get rid of that knucklehead Rodriguez. Man do I miss Llyod Carr. And I concur, FLA wins the BCS Championship. Look out for Boise State though.
    The only conference that matters is the SEC, and the only team that matters is THE University of Alabama. ROLL TIDE ROLL! It's going to be BAMA / Florida in the SEC Championship again and the winner of that one will make it 4 straight BCS titles for the SEC.

No matter what happens, this will be an excellent college football season for one reason - after this year, I NEVER have to see Tebow again... I'm so sick of his little speech after the Ole Miss game last year I wanna puke.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    Luko:
    The only conference that matters is the SEC, and the only team that matters is THE University of Alabama. ROLL TIDE ROLL! It's going to be BAMA / Florida in the SEC Championship again and the winner of that one will make it 4 straight BCS titles for the SEC.

No matter what happens, this will be an excellent college football season for one reason - after this year, I NEVER have to see Tebow again... I'm so sick of his little speech after the Ole Miss game last year I wanna puke.
    Whoa, wait just a minute there Holmes...SEC has been strong for a while, no doubt. But USC hasn't done too bad either. As for Bama, they have as a head coach one of the biggest jerks the sport has ever seen. I'm all for the tradition of Bama during the B Bryant years, but he just makes them impossible to get behind.
    Luko:
    cholmes8310:
    Luko:

Whoa, wait just a minute there Holmes...SEC has been strong for a while, no doubt. But USC hasn't done too bad either. As for Bama, they have as a head coach one of the biggest jerks the sport has ever seen. I'm all for the tradition of Bama during the B Bryant years, but he just makes them impossible to get behind.
    USC can't even go through the WAC10 undefeated. The don't play anyone! They manage to blow one game a year to keep them out of the title game and then cry about it. I will give it to you they are a dominant team, but only because of their conference. Put them in the Big12 or SEC, and 2 losses per year.

And let me guess, the beef with Saban is what he did to the Dolphins? The man has proven he can coach. Yeah, he's an ass to media, but a lot of coaches are.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

cholmes8310:
    Luko:
    cholmes8310:
    Luko:

USC can't even go through the WAC10 undefeated. The don't play anyone! They manage to blow one game a year to keep them out of the title game and then cry about it. I will give it to you they are a dominant team, but only because of their conference. Put them in the Big12 or SEC, and 2 losses per year.

And let me guess, the beef with Saban is what he did to the Dolphins? The man has proven he can coach. Yeah, he's an ass to media, but a lot of coaches are.

And do you know how to know that the PAC10 isn't that strong. They are currently setting up a contract with the Alamo Bowl. They will send their 2nd best, 2ND BEST, team to play the Big 12's 4th best. Now I won't be getting all high and mighty saying the big twelve is the best mainly because we lack deffense. Though we can compete with the SEC

Thewelder:

And do you know how to know that the PAC10 isn't that strong. They are currently setting up a contract with the Alamo Bowl. They will send their 2nd best, 2ND BEST, team to play the Big 12's 4th best. Now I won't be getting all high and mighty saying the big twelve is the best mainly because we lack deffense. Though we can compete with the SEC

Exactly. I have long said that the Big12 is easily the second best conference. And last year, everyone thought they were better. I held out hope that the SEC would put that to rest in the bowls, and we did, with out 5th best team, Ole Miss, beating number 4 Texas Tech, and Florida easily handling Oklahoma.

The only problem with the big12 right now is the North. The south has so much firepower in Texas, TT, Oklahoma, and Okie State. Missouri and Nebraska are good in the North, but I still don't think they can hang with any of those 4 from the south. However, Bo Pelini will do wonders in the next few years at Nebraska I believe.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    HUGE Longhorns fan here. I'm so pumped for football season. I see McCoy winning the Heisman, if he has the big year that he's predicted to have. There's a very good chance that we see UT and Florida playing for the Nat'l Championship. It's going to be one helluva game too.
    Matt Marvel:
    HUGE Longhorns fan here. I'm so pumped for football season. I see McCoy winning the Heisman, if he has the big year that he's predicted to have. There's a very good chance that we see UT and Florida playing for the Nat'l Championship. It's going to be one helluva game too.
    Id love to see McCoy win it. However, I think all Tebow has to do is show up this season and everyone will kiss his ass and hand it to him. I'm so sick of seeing him every five minutes on Sportscenter. And I sure hope Texas plays Florida or whoever else from the SEC (BAMA or Ole Miss have a shot - still think LSU is overrated). Texas got screwed last year.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Hotty Toddy!!! I wish Ole Miss had a chance, but I just don't see it in the SEC. There will be someone from the SEC in the championship game, but who knows who that will be. Yes, I know I'm from Louisiana, but I hate LSU and hope they flop.
    cholmes8310:
    Matt Marvel:
    Id love to see McCoy win it. However, I think all Tebow has to do is show up this season and everyone will kiss his ass and hand it to him. I'm so sick of seeing him every five minutes on Sportscenter. And I sure hope Texas plays Florida or whoever else from the SEC (BAMA or Ole Miss have a shot - still think LSU is overrated). Texas got screwed last year.
    I don't really feel like they were screwed. I knew it was going to take an effort of running the table to have a shot at the title. I also don't think Tebow is going to win the Heisman. The voters look at things differently than ESPN does. I read something interesting the other day, saying that McCoy is the favorite to win because the voters will feel like it's 'his time'. Tebow has won it, Bradford has won it, now they're giving McCoy his chance pretty much.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Unless Florida really blows it I think Tebow wil win it.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I just got to give a little bit of love for the Big Ten. The conference is gonna suck this year, but they will make someone's bcs hopes go sour.

Long time OSU Buckeyes fan here! Go defense and special teams...gotta pray for the offense.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Big UGA fan here. Looks like we are right where we need to be...under the radar. Should be a very good college football season this year.
    plaidbanana1:
    This is an odd year in which all three finalists are still playing and two of them have a good chance of winning a second trophy. That said, history shows that voters really don't like to give it to someone twice. This sways me to thinking McCoy will be the winner if things go as predicted and another player somewhere doesn't blow everyone out of the water. I will say that I think Tebow and McCoy are going to be battling it out for it, because OU has some issues with the O-Line. Bradford might not put up numbers as gaudy as he did last year. If I had to pick a 'sleeper' so to speak, I'd say Des Bryant from OkState.
    Matt Marvel:
    plaidbanana1:
    This is an odd year in which all three finalists are still playing and two of them have a good chance of winning a second trophy. That said, history shows that voters really don't like to give it to someone twice. This sways me to thinking McCoy will be the winner if things go as predicted and another player somewhere doesn't blow everyone out of the water. I will say that I think Tebow and McCoy are going to be battling it out for it, because OU has some issues with the O-Line. Bradford might not put up numbers as gaudy as he did last year. If I had to pick a 'sleeper' so to speak, I'd say Des Bryant from OkState.
    see, my opinion is they'd give it to Zac Robinson before Dez. The Heisman is all about the quarterback it seems.
    cholmes8310:
    Matt Marvel:
    plaidbanana1:
    see, my opinion is they'd give it to Zac Robinson before Dez. The Heisman is all about the quarterback it seems.
    It has been like that over the last couple of years. Aside from Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden there hasn't been too many dynamic big time stars outside of the QB's. There's a few guys alongside Bryant that can change that trend this year. I still think it's going to be QB though. There's too much of a gap between McCoy, Tebow, and Bradford and the rest of the pack, in my opinion anyway.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    HOKIE HOKIE HOKIE HI! Go Virginia Tech! God, I can't wait for September 5th! Alabama and VT going at it in the Georgia Dome. This is gonna be one helluva defensive battle. I can't wait.

As for Heisman, I'd love to see McCoy win it. All three guys last year were so deserving of it, but someone has to win and someone has to loose. I don't really like Texas, but I'll be cheering for McCoy.

National Champions will be whoever can manage to defeat Florida in the National Championship game, because no one is gonna beat them before that game. And I don't care what any of you think. I like Tebow. Florida is one the teams I refuse to cheer for (got kicked outta their stadium once) but Tebow is a hell of a guy. And I don't think it's his fault that the media favors him so much. He's just himself and how the media feels like spinning it is how the nation is gonna perceive it.
    clearlysuspect:
    HOKIE HOKIE HOKIE HI! Go Virginia Tech! God, I can't wait for September 5th! Alabama and VT going at it in the Georgia Dome. This is gonna be one helluva defensive battle. I can't wait.

As for Heisman, I'd love to see McCoy win it. All three guys last year were so deserving of it, but someone has to win and someone has to loose. I don't really like Texas, but I'll be cheering for McCoy.

National Champions will be whoever can manage to defeat Florida in the National Championship game, because no one is gonna beat them before that game. And I don't care what any of you think. I like Tebow. Florida is one the teams I refuse to cheer for (got kicked outta their stadium once) but Tebow is a hell of a guy. And I don't think it's his fault that the media favors him so much. He's just himself and how the media feels like spinning it is how the nation is gonna perceive it.
    I'm not blaming Tebow for that by no means. I blame the outlets who favor him. Tebow is a class act, and as much as I can't stand OU, so is Bradford. I couldn't be mad that he won the Heisman. To have these guys as the face of college football is a breath of fresh air.
    Matt Marvel:
    To have these guys as the face of college football is a breath of fresh air.
    I totally agree! I can't think of the last time College Football had 3 ambassadors of the ethical callibor of Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy. 3 All-American class acts!
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    brsmith21:
    Big UGA fan here. Looks like we are right where we need to be...under the radar. Should be a very good college football season this year.
    At least no one got arrested this time around :p . Graduated from GA Tech last year and hope we put together something this year. For some dumb ass reason we changed our game in the Chic fil a bowl and blew against LSU. Hopefully Paul Johnson will really put up a fight this year being able to actually recruit to his style of play. I don't think UGA will beat us this year either!
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    clearlysuspect:

One of my best friends is a VT fan. We'll be at the VT GT game this year. Loser buys the seats.
    4bob4:
    clearlysuspect:

One of my best friends is a VT fan. We'll be at the VT GT game this year. Loser buys the seats.
    My sister's husband usually gos to this game regardless of where it's played. He graduated from GT but got his masters at VT. I think he usually cheers for GT but he has season tickets to VT. Should be a good game this year!
  • andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    Two words-Go Vols! I think Lane Kiffin will turn us back around this year and we will be better then people think.

andrewh:
    Two words-Go Vols! I think Lane Kiffin will turn us back around this year and we will be better then people think.

I'm sorry man I have some freinds who are Vols fans. With them firing the coach last year and with how much noise that Kiffin has been making I hope they fall flat on their face. I kinda hope they get a Callahan or a Weiss out of the deal.

• AngellAngell Posts: 1
    Southern California here!

-AR
    Thewelder:

andrewh:

I'm sorry man I have some freinds who are Vols fans. With them firing the coach last year and with how much noise that Kiffin has been making I hope they fall flat on their face. I kinda hope they get a Callahan or a Weiss out of the deal.

I can't wait for Bama to put the beatdown on Tennessee again. Lane Kiffin has been making a whole lot of noise with a team full of new starters. Calling out Spurrier, Meyer, and Saban? He's got #1 and #2 in the SEC preseason headhunting coming into those games. Bama and UF already look forward to the UT game, and now Kiffin just put a huge bulls-eye on his back. I think it's gonna be a brutal season for UT this year. Projection - 5-7 again. Hey, at least Eric Berry will be an All-American. That guy can play.
    cholmes8310:
    Thewelder:

andrewh:

I can't wait for Bama to put the beatdown on Tennessee again. Lane Kiffin has been making a whole lot of noise with a team full of new starters. Calling out Spurrier, Meyer, and Saban? He's got #1 and #2 in the SEC preseason headhunting coming into those games. Bama and UF already look forward to the UT game, and now Kiffin just put a huge bulls-eye on his back. I think it's gonna be a brutal season for UT this year. Projection - 5-7 again. Hey, at least Eric Berry will be an All-American. That guy can play.
    For me, it's not just the fact that he called them out, it's the way he's gone about it. No tact or respect shown to three guys who have more than earned it. I'm all for a little trash talk, and in the SEC it's bound to happen, but show some class.
    Just a few more days until the season starts, man I can't wait. Any predictions for week one. I think BYU will beat Oregon, OSU will get run over by theUGA bulldogs, and mizzou will start the year off 0-1 when Juice comes to town.
    Thewelder:
    Just a few more days until the season starts, man I can't wait. Any predictions for week one. I think BYU will beat Oregon, OSU will get run over by theUGA bulldogs, and mizzou will start the year off 0-1 when Juice comes to town.
    I'm holding out on predictions. This first week, I just want to enjoy football without having to think too much about it. I have to work Saturday night, so I'll miss the Longhorns' first game of the season. It should be a huge blowout though, with Texas scoring around 50-60 points.