Home Non Cigar Related

commute

jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
found out today that my team is being moved to snoqualmie, 46 miles from my house. one guy needs to keep this job till he can get his certs and be in a position to move on, another guy need to stay on for another 10 months or so to finish his chopper pilot training. I dont really know what my situation is yet. I might have an excelent job offer on the table in a couple months, but I have to make it that long. if that doesnt pan out, it could take another couple months to get another job, even longer most likely, I cant just switch to any old job I find, dont know if it is stable in this economy.

any one else out there have a ridiculous commute? how do you cope? the only way this is going to be possible is if my company pays for the van and only pay for gas. none of us can afford the 200 a peice to get a vanpool plus that much gas.

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    40 miles each way for me - 80 damn miles and 2 hours on the road a day !!!
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I WALK everywhere every day. I know 2 miles roundtrip to work is not much, but make that EVERY DAY. Rain or shine... Summer or winter... Freezing cold or scorching hot! :( I'm tired of it... But as of now I cannot afford to invest in a car... And then you have walks to stores and EVERYWHERE... Everybody has *** to deal with - its ok ;). I spend at least an HOUR or TWO every day just for walking... Here is the breakdown:
    2hrs walking
    8hrs sleeping
    8hrs work

So what am i left with? 6hrs of relax time - 1:30 for a cigar and a bit for my girlfriend. And this does not take into account food preparations and eating it... lol.. ok... enough complainin... hahah - YOU GOT IT TOUGH BRO! Keep pushing! - It ain't about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    so we worked out a schedule, gonna do 4 tens with two other guys carpooling. gas prices will not be that bad if that holds up. thing that sucks is for 4 days i will do nothing but work sleep, eat and drive. 10 hour work day, 3 hours driving, 8 hours sleep leaves me with about 3 hours a night to make dinner, prep lunch and breakfast for the next day and watch a movie before bed. at least ill have my 3 day weekend.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i drive 14 miles round trip every day. if i get transfered to the closer store then ill start to ride the bike when conditions permit.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    By God I have to walk 10 miles each way in the snow with 50mph winds UP HILL BOTH WAYS to and from work. lol I've always wanted to use that but I didn't figure I'd get to until my son was older.
    jihiggs:
    so we worked out a schedule, gonna do 4 tens with two other guys carpooling. gas prices will not be that bad if that holds up. thing that sucks is for 4 days i will do nothing but work sleep, eat and drive. 10 hour work day, 3 hours driving, 8 hours sleep leaves me with about 3 hours a night to make dinner, prep lunch and breakfast for the next day and watch a movie before bed. at least ill have my 3 day weekend.

Yeah I drive 1 hour to work -get there a 8:30-9:00 am and stay till 7:00 -8:00 depends on business and drive an hour back home-damn I wish I could retire !!! usually off thursday and sunday --once a month get a long weekend Fri-sat-sunday ...Oh well it sucks not being rich ...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I currently have a 90 mile round trip, and I'm glad to be working that close to home.
    PuroFreak:
    By God I have to walk 10 miles each way in the snow with 50mph winds UP HILL BOTH WAYS to and from work. lol I've always wanted to use that but I didn't figure I'd get to until my son was older.
    Don't wait until he's too old. Then he'll ask you "daddy, how do you walk uphill BOTH ways? Isn't that impossible?", then you'll have to crack him upside the head for being a smart mouth...a no win situation really.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I used to drive an hour and twenty minutes each way, all freeway so that was about 120 miles a day... I bought a Pontiac G6 to make the commute better... then I hated the car payment so as soon as I moved jobs I sold it for a big 'ole Chevy Tahoe... Great truck and what I save on a car payment I spend 1/10th of that on gas. Plus I only have a 25minute commute now...

Kinda Rambled there...

Synopsis: I drove crazy miles for 6 months and hated it.
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    Don't wait until he's too old. Then he'll ask you "daddy, how do you walk uphill BOTH ways? Isn't that impossible?", then you'll have to crack him upside the head for being a smart mouth...a no win situation really.

Hahaha
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Bout 20 miles or so round-trip for me...takes 40-45 min to and the same fro.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    ... DAD !! I knew you would come back. I drive 57 miles each way every day..
    I sometimes wish I could have that long of drive again... that would be one of the few times that I could enjoy a cigar on my own time and jam out to some tunes!!!

But then my truck would kinda smell like a rapist's van... (/read: like cigars and shame)
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    Yea, he just turned 1 so I got a little time! Probably won't be long though... He gets bigger and smarter everyday. At this pace he will be beyond my level of itelejinse by the time he is 3.
    Lasabar:
    I sometimes wish I could have that long of drive again... that would be one of the few times that I could enjoy a cigar on my own time and jam out to some tunes!!!

But then my truck would kinda smell like a rapist's van... (/read: like cigars and shame)
    .. Lassie, I have no idea what that means, or how you would know this, or if I should alert the Wisconsin State Police, I am going to delete this from my history so that I can in no way be implicated. Just in case.
    kaspera79:
    Lasabar:

.. Lassie, I have no idea what that means, or how you would know this, or if I should alert the Wisconsin State Police, I am going to delete this from my history so that I can in no way be implicated. Just in case.
    Smart Man!
    kaspera79:
    Lasabar:

Ever wonder where he gets the pictures for his avatar?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    Lasabar:

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. Put the **** lotion in the **** basket.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    Lasabar:

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. Put the **** lotion in the **** basket.

Ha ha ha...

I read this and thought of Cartman playing "Lambs" from South Park...
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Man, I can't imagine a commute like that...the town that I grew up in was only about a mile long! And now that I'm in school I work about 2 miles from my trailer...school is a half mile walk from me...
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    I work 8 days on and 6 off, currently in Oklahoma, so its 625 miles one way about once a week.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Damn plaidbanana, that's a nasty commute. At least the drive from Lafayette to Shreveport is a pleasant one. Depending on your route through Texas, that part could suck.

My commute is less than 2.5 miles each way. I love living and working in the city. When I lived in California, my commute was 30 miles (1 hour), each way. I coped by buying a motorcycle.

The only thing that sucks about the short commute is I don't ride the bike as often, because it takes longer to get it out and gear up than it would take to just drive to work.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Starting August 27 I will be walking to work everyday.

Walking from the master bedroom to my office across the hall that is. :)
    No traffic report updated every ten minutes needed for that comute I would guess.
    madurofan:
    Starting August 27 I will be walking to work everyday.

Walking from the master bedroom to my office across the hall that is. :)
    I wish I could work Pantless.... I mean I already do, but it'd be nice to not have people biotch about it!
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I heard Micheal Jordan got into smoking cigars seriously as a way to keep his cool on his commute into chicago for games. Don't know how true that is, but if you could convince the other people in the van you could light up! haha, not likely though
    they called it off!

all it took was us telling philips they would lose 5 out of 7 of my team within 1 month if they made the move. they decided it wasnt worth moving us.

hell yes!!!!!!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    jihiggs:
    found out today that my team is being moved to snoqualmie, 46 miles from my house. one guy needs to keep this job till he can get his certs and be in a position to move on, another guy need to stay on for another 10 months or so to finish his chopper pilot training. I dont really know what my situation is yet. I might have an excelent job offer on the table in a couple months, but I have to make it that long. if that doesnt pan out, it could take another couple months to get another job, even longer most likely, I cant just switch to any old job I find, dont know if it is stable in this economy.

any one else out there have a ridiculous commute? how do you cope? the only way this is going to be possible is if my company pays for the van and only pay for gas. none of us can afford the 200 a peice to get a vanpool plus that much gas.
    Higgs, what do you do for a living???? Sounds like you're in the aviation business. If you're looking for a new job, pm me. I might be able to help!
    I am and IT tech, not aviation. I assume you got that from me saying my co worker was going for his chopper pilot license, he is looking to change careers and has been busting ass trying to get his comercial license. appreciate the sentiment though!
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Used to have 65 miles each way. Longest two years of my life. Now I have about 9 each way.