Home General Discussion

Lighters

Like most of us I have several Butane lighters, and discovered something that maybe of help to others, or not.
The lighters will get a bad or small flame at times and be useless, I have learned to use compressed air to blow on the jet or jets and presto lighter is like new! Hope this helps some.

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    A lot of us who have a lighter fetish have learned this and it does help when the innards tend to get full of junk. Another piece of info is to always purge your lighters completely when they run out of butane. A lot of people won't do that and just recharge them but what happens is that you will have air trapped in the chamber if you dont purge and that causes a lot of problems as well.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's one....don't use ronson fluid!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Here's one....don't use ronson fluid!!

Agreed. I always look for fuel that's been at least triple-refined. Four or five times refined is obviously better. And even with those, never shake the can before using it. If there IS any sediment in the can, handling it as gently as possible when tipping it up to insert into the fill opening is a good plan.

the other thing I do is to buy cheap lighters so you don't feel bad about tossing one when it goes boobs-up on you. I have a Xikar Executive that's good but I also buy a particular cheapie on eBay that costs $7 including shipping. It has a really large tank and a stand so it can be used as a table lighter. Between those two, I hardly ever have any lighter issues other than refilling when necessary..... Hope this helps.... :-/)
  • soyouseesoyousee Posts: 40
    LOL quit smoking for 20+ years. When I started puffin again there was a can of ronson still in my desk. My new lighter worked ONE time.