Home General Discussion

Hex-pressed

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Looking through the featured samplers, there is a new one called the 5 Vegas hex-pressed sampler whete they are pressed into a six sided shape.
Anyone had one that shape before? What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of this shape?
One God, One Truth

Comments

• I haven't seen that before. Looks cool, and it's not a bad deal. I'd be willing to bet that the shape doesn't add anything special, except for a neat look.

I do like a good box press. I just think they're neat
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gray4lines@gmail.com:
    I haven't seen that before. Looks cool, and it's not a bad deal. I'd be willing to bet that the shape doesn't add anything special, except for a neat look.

I do like a good box press. I just think they're neat
    I dont know how I have a new username now.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    Can't say I'm a huge fan of box-pressed. 90% of the ones I smoke burn horribly off. Same with shaggy ends. Would be interested in seeing a pic of this hex press though.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jasonc1982:
    Can't say I'm a huge fan of box-pressed. 90% of the ones I smoke burn horribly off. Same with shaggy ends. Would be interested in seeing a pic of this hex press though.
    If its the same sampler I saw its a 5 Vega sampler. Saw it on the sister site.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    looks neat. when it comes down to it... its the same cigars.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    It has been available here for awhile as well... http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-5VASST44 but it appears the pic isnt working. Here is another look: http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1561480/5-Vegas-Hex-Press-Toro-Sampler-15-Cigars/
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    They don't roll off when you put them on the lip of the golfcart! Otherwise, not a bit of difference. Some box pressed smoke uneven, but I like to rotate them in the humi every few months. My theory is that the moisture and oils are more concentrated where the sticks touch which makes the burn uneven sometimes. (I'm talking sticks without cello. With cello, it's anyone's guess) I'm not sure that it helps much, but it gives me an excuse to go through the humi every so often which is not a bad thing!!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.
    I dont like the mouth feel of box-pressed cigars, kinda clunky to me.These may be worth a shot one day just to see.
    One God, One Truth
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    KevinFitts:
    My theory is that the moisture and oils are more concentrated where the sticks touch which makes the burn uneven sometimes. (I'm talking sticks without cello. With cello, it's anyone's guess) I'm not sure that it helps much, but it gives me an excuse to go through the humi every so often which is not a bad thing!!
    what is actually happening when box pressed cigars burn uneven is a matter of construction.

the binder and wrapper need to have a perfect relationship with each other and the two of them together need to have a perfect relationship with the filler for a cigar to burn evenly.

so they roll a standard cigar and its round and it all burns nice... great. take that cigar and force it through a press. now the binder and filler and wrapper are not bunched the way they were "supposed to" and this could cause burn issues. where the binder and wrapper have fewer gaps between each other after the process of box pressing happens the burn will be better.

some manufacturers have found a few ways to help prevent burn issues on a box press and the most common one is to adjust the amount of filler in the cigar so the press will be taken easier.

if the theory of where the sticks touch were true then uncellophaned cigar that are not box pressed would always have issues as well. plus the filler is bound together way tighter than the pressure between two different cigars next to each other.