Home General Discussion

How Old Were You When You Started Smoking A Pipe Or A Cigar?

I'm 61 years old, going on 62 this coming September 30th.

I was 19 years old when I smoked my first pipe, a corn cob pipe with Sir Walter Raleigh, then I tried Prince Albert, and many other brands, until I tried a nice sweet Black Cavendish, and that has become the only pipe tobacco that I smoke.

I prefer briar pipes, because, in my past experience, corn cops pipe usually have an air leak around the shank, and the amber colored pipe stem would crack under pressure from my teeth, so I switched to briar pipes.

Before I discovered Black Cavendish, many other brands (in my opinion) were a disappointment, either too hot and not sweet enough.

But, the first time I ever smoked a cigar, although it was a cheap brand, it was much better than many pipe tobaccos (in my opinion) until I found Black Cavendish.

Now, I'm not putting down other brands, but merely stating my own preference. Burly or Bright tobaccos, to me, are kind of hot, and bite my tongue, unless I mix some Black Cavendish into them. But, I never had a problem with cigars biting my tongue.

So, I like dark tobaccos, and I prefer dark beer, especially Arrogant *** Dark Ale!

And thanks to the Internet, I can get many brands of pipe tobacco and cigars that I can't get locally. In fact, my local Walgreen's is planning to discontinue their pipe tobaccos and cigars, and going on to sell cigarettes and chewing tobacco only.

So, after searching the Internet, I'm now in Tobacco Heaven!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smoked cigarettes in high school and college.

had a my first real cigar at 24.

now im 32.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Fat Heretic:

I'm 61 years old, going on 62 this coming September 30th.

I was 19 years old when I smoked my first pipe, a corn cob pipe with Sir Walter Raleigh, then I tried Prince Albert, and many other brands, until I tried a nice sweet Black Cavendish, and that has become the only pipe tobacco that I smoke.

I prefer briar pipes, because, in my past experience, corn cops pipe usually have an air leak around the shank, and the amber colored pipe stem would crack under pressure from my teeth, so I switched to briar pipes.

Before I discovered Black Cavendish, many other brands (in my opinion) were a disappointment, either too hot and not sweet enough.

I started at 15, and that means we started at about the same time. In fact, my experience and tastes arree But, the first time I ever smoked a cigar, although it was a cheap brand, it was much better than many pipe tobaccos (in my opinion) until I found Black Cavendish.

Now, I'm not putting down other brands, but merely stating my own preference. Burly or Bright tobaccos, to me, are kind of hot, and bite my tongue, unless I mix some Black Cavendish into them. But, I never had a problem with cigars biting my tongue.

So, I like dark tobaccos, and I prefer dark beer, especially Arrogant *** Dark Ale!

And thanks to the Internet, I can get many brands of pipe tobacco and cigars that I can't get locally. In fact, my local Walgreen's is planning to discontinue their pipe tobaccos and cigars, and going on to sell cigarettes and chewing tobacco only.

So, after searching the Internet, I'm now in Tobacco Heaven!
    I started at15, so we started at the same time. Also, almosr exactly the same progression and tastes, spooky!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    A friend of the family was always smoking Cuban cigars as he was from Cuba...so I was able to convince him to give me one cigar and that was at age 12...haven't looked back since then and I am 59 now.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    smoked my first cigar on my 32nd birthday. Never smoked cigarettes. Smokes some sticky icky icky in high school/college.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I "borrowed" my first from my Great Grandfather's humidor when I was 14. Bought my first on my 18th birthday and have not stopped smoking since.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 66 now and I started smoking a pipe when I was 20. Mostly briars and one meerschaum. I smoked mostly commercial aromatic tobacco, but now I've been smoking a blend from a store in Lake Placid, NY.

I started smoking cigars in my mid 20's, but I smoked machine made cigars like White Owl and Garcia Vega. About 6 years ago, my son brought me a hand rolled cigar he got at a B & M in Rochester where he was going to college and the rest is history.

I buy most of my cigars here and from time to time at a B & M in Selma, NC and one in Fayetteville, NC.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I smoked cigars off and on since 20 (one of my sergeants in ROTC gave me one when I got engaged), only got serious this year at 35. Never smoked cigarettes.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    About 2005 is when I had my first real cigar. I was 40
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    My first cigar was last year any my first pipe was after fathers day this year. Still very much a greenhorn.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out with Red Man and Black Mule in my early teens, swithched to cigs around age 15, tried a few other plant baised substances for a while. smoked my first real cigar around 96 or 97 bought a humidor and didn't know how to maintain it and lost interest. About a year and a half ago a friend gave me a LFD to try and I have become obsessed! Gave up cigs a year ago because they f***ed up the taste of my stogies.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    While packing up to move (in just a couple more weeks) I found a picture of me sitting on my 1982 Honda CB 650 with a cigar in my hand. I probably started smoking cigars a couple years before I got that bike. Smoked a pipe for a few years in the 1980's and early 90's. Gave that up when I had kids, but cigars are always in the humi and waiting to be enjoyed.

It's great to see how/when others started. Thanks for posting.

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    While packing up to move (in just a couple more weeks) I found a picture of me sitting on my 1982 Honda CB 650 with a cigar in my hand. I probably started smoking cigars a couple years before I got that bike. Smoked a pipe for a few years in the 1980's and early 90's. Gave that up when I had kids, but cigars are always in the humi and waiting to be enjoyed.

It's great to see how/when others started. Thanks for posting.

Hey Cam. Long time no see. I was 25. Garcia/Vega english corona. Iv expanded since then.
    One God, One Truth
  • WOW! So, some of your here started at age 12 to 15. I remember, when I was a kid, when an adult was smoking a pipe or cigar, I always liked the smell. Of course, I didn't like the smell of cigarettes, but I have always enjoyed the smell of pipes and cigars. My stepfather smokes cigarettes, and it would make me car sick. But then, one day, he was smoking a cigar, and I liked the smell, and I requested, that from then on, if he was going to smoke in the car, then to smoke a cigar instead. Of course now, here in the USA, all states have laws against selling tobacco products to anyone under 18. But back then, I had seen teenagers buying cigarettes. Now, you can't even give someone under 18 any tobacco, and in some states, they want to raise the legal age to about 20 years old. So, it would be a lot harder to start younger than 18 now. Of course, we still can't be told what to do in the privacy of our own homes. If I had a 15 year old kid who wanted to try one of my cigars, then I'd say, sure, go ahead, just don't go outside with it. Yeah! Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I had my first wooden tipped Dutch Masters in 1972. Been smoking something, or the other, since that time. It wasn't until 1985 that I had my first hand rolled. To quote an old chinaman that I visit with at local events, "I'm a career smoker".