Home General Discussion

Authentic Cuban or ????

Picked these up on a cruise (was in Canada) . Smoked one, not bad but I actually like other stuff better. I remember a post from the past where genuine vs fake labels were posted but I couldn't find the post.

Anyway.... here was my find....

Comments

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there something that is making you question their authenticity?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Not at all......... just reading all the posts here about fakes.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both look on the up and up. I didnt find anything on fakes in tubes and the Romeo looks legit. Now if you paid $2 each at a gas station...... well.....
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The bands and tube look legit, and they haven't made those Upmanns since 2007. How were they?
    The Upmann was good. Wouldn't say great, but since I was sitting on the deck of a cruise ship looking out over the Atlantic, the entire experience was wonderful!

The RYJ is sitting in the humi waiting for the right time.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend a little time wandering around this website:

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com

It's pretty informative.....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have both of those myself.
    i know they are real so compare for yourself:

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    best way to know? Prob not the most popular answer but just smoke it. fake cubans are fairly easy to tell (even for the not so experienced).
    jlmarta:
    Spend a little time wandering around this website:

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com

It's pretty informative.....
    Great web site. THANKS ! Lots of good info there.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Picked these up on a cruise (was in Canada) . ///enough said! We dont need to fake nothing here, as we have no issues with cuba! Seriously though, they do look legit, especially when compared to Kuzi's post.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's those offers that are to good to be true that you really have to watch out for. As long as you bought them at a quality shop or on the ship I wouldn't worry. They don't want to get caught selling counterfeits.
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Hard to tell by seeing a 1/2" tip of a cigar. Packaging could be real but what about the stick? Reminds me of one vacation where the retailer said he'd just slip off the Cuban ring and put a different one on that would get by Customs...which of course is what he did to begin with. A $2 stick in packaging from a $35 cigar. With that said, I doubt anyone here can say yeah or nay based on what we see here. How about some pics of the actual cigar itself?
    JGKAMIN:
    Hard to tell by seeing a 1/2" tip of a cigar. Packaging could be real but what about the stick? Reminds me of one vacation where the retailer said he'd just slip off the Cuban ring and put a different one on that would get by Customs...which of course is what he did to begin with. A $2 stick in packaging from a $35 cigar. With that said, I doubt anyone here can say yeah or nay based on what we see here. How about some pics of the actual cigar itself?
    though i do agree with everything in this post, there are two factors that lead me to believe that they still are real:
    1) Point of purchase was legit in a country where it is legal
    2) those are not the cigars often faked. Yes RyJs get faked but its usually the larger ring ones. the coranitas in cedro is not a big ticket item.

the cigars that get faked often are things like Cohiba Espl
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Nothing beats a cigar on a balcony on a cruise ship...I do it as much as possible. Your cigars look pretty authentic and nothing about them gives my radar anything to worry...taste is usually conclusive given that you know the profile. I tend not to buy any cigars on my trips ( cruises ) anymore unless it's from an authentic licensed B&M but that usually means it costs more. I bring my own and have been for the last few years because I know they are legit and are well rested. I've learned that getting a cabin on the aft end of the boat is perfect for smoking cigars....the wind doesn't affect the burn and in fact keeps it from going sideways and nobody is whining about the smell as they do when you are on the port or starboard sides. A lot of Cruiselines are outlawing smoking on your balcony except for a select few....I tend to choose cruise lines that let me smoke or have a lounge for cigar smokers.
    Cigary:
    Nothing beats a cigar on a balcony on a cruise ship...I do it as much as possible. Your cigars look pretty authentic and nothing about them gives my radar anything to worry...taste is usually conclusive given that you know the profile. I tend not to buy any cigars on my trips ( cruises ) anymore unless it's from an authentic licensed B&M but that usually means it costs more. I bring my own and have been for the last few years because I know they are legit and are well rested. I've learned that getting a cabin on the aft end of the boat is perfect for smoking cigars....the wind doesn't affect the burn and in fact keeps it from going sideways and nobody is whining about the smell as they do when you are on the port or starboard sides. A lot of Cruiselines are outlawing smoking on your balcony except for a select few....I tend to choose cruise lines that let me smoke or have a lounge for cigar smokers.
    I picked them up at a B&M on shore for about $10CA each. Figured they were ok but I read a lot on here that made me wonder.

The ship I was on had a cigar bar (didnt like it) and allowed smoking on the Promenade deck Starboard side as well as the back. The wind was a factor but I found a nice quiet place with a great view. No smoking on balcony any more.
  • Here's what I do when i question a cuban cigar's authenticity.  First I stand it up on it's foot.  A real one will stand, the fakes won't due to poor quality of rolling.  Second, look at the ash while you smoke it.  All of my cubans burn a black ash.  Lastly, pay close attention as you smoke it.  If you've ever smoke a real cuban, no matter the strength or amount of pepper, you'll always get that creamy smooth flavor out of it we've  all known to love about cuban cigars.   Enjoy my friend.
  • I have read that most Cubans will be triple capped. That doesnt look tripple capped. Also look closely at the label to see if it is poorly made. Like if it was made by a home printer or something. I have spotted a few fakes that way.
    dylanmerick1028:
    First I stand it up on it's foot.  A real one will stand, the fakes won't due to poor quality of rolling. 
    given the construction issues cuba has been having for the last 15 or so years i would hardly say this is a good way to judge.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    dylanmerick1028:
    First I stand it up on it's foot.  A real one will stand, the fakes won't due to poor quality of rolling. 
    given the construction issues cuba has been having for the last 15 or so years i would hardly say this is a good way to judge.

FYI, Nicaraguans fall over to the left, Honduran fall over to the right and Dominican fall over backwards. Costa Ricans spin in a circle, Equadorians create their own micro climate of mist and Mexicans lay down and cozy up to your beer. Everybody knows this.