Home General Discussion

How do you bring this up to a B&M owner

brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
Ok so i was at one of the local B&Ms that is by my house. The place is not really the nicest place and i don't feel that they take care of their cigars, but they have the most stock in the city and is less than 10 minutes away from my house. I get my boveda there because they are only $4 a piece and browse around just to see what is new.

I always hit their bargain humi where stuff is marked down before i leave and today i see this:

photo null_zps20a96a90.jpg

i don't know the people working there too well but there are several boxes like this in their humi.

since i am new to this store and to B&Ms in general do i go up to them and tell them about it? Again they don't know me from squat and this is the store where i always feel out of place and not a single person has said hello to me other than the old lady at the front who doesn't leave her stool

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my! Even the box next to it is infected. Just let them know that they need to turn down their humidifying device. (I bet they're using one of those kiddy frog humidifiers)

If they argue that this is plume, leave and never go back.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Crap! That's scary looking! If you don't feel comfortable with these people then you might not want to say anything but me,........I'd say something. I might just take the whole box up to the lady who never gets off her stool and ask her "how much for these fuzzy ones?" If I offend them or they try to tell me that's plume then I just leave and wouldn't go back but you gotta weigh your own options. Good selection and $4 bovedas vs moldy conditions. Have you seen them using any hygrometers around this place? I've noticed my B&M has a few small round hygrometers scattered around on their shelves to keep track of the humidity. If I was the owner I'd want to know just like if I was a gas station owner I'd want the customer to tell me if the bathroom needs cleaning.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell them! They can decide to listen or not.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Holy Crap! That's scary looking! If you don't feel comfortable with these people then you might not want to say anything but me,........I'd say something. I might just take the whole box up to the lady who never gets off her stool and ask her "how much for these fuzzy ones?" If I offend them or they try to tell me that's plume then I just leave and wouldn't go back but you gotta weigh your own options. Good selection and $4 bovedas vs moldy conditions. Have you seen them using any hygrometers around this place? I've noticed my B&M has a few small round hygrometers scattered around on their shelves to keep track of the humidity. If I was the owner I'd want to know just like if I was a gas station owner I'd want the customer to tell me if the bathroom needs cleaning.
    oh yeah, there is a hygrometer and it reads a nice crisp 70....which is total bullshit. Everything in that humi felt wet as hell.

I think i will tell them, and i sure hope they don't blow me off
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my .02.... They probably couldn't care less. I've tried and got everything from "Thats not mold! That plume!" and "Its not a big deal. Just put them in your humi for a while...." If I find a place like that they obviously don't care about their product. I wouldn't buy anything from that humi and would probably not go back. Most if not all B&M owners think they know so much more then their customers...... most are idiots. Just my opinion.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Ask them if they sell donuts and if they say no, show them the powder covered donuts, yummy lol
    Vision:
    Just my .02.... They probably couldn't care less. I've tried and got everything from "Thats not mold! That plume!" and "Its not a big deal. Just put them in your humi for a while...." If I find a place like that they obviously don't care about their product. I wouldn't buy anything from that humi and would probably not go back. Most if not all B&M owners think they know so much more then their customers...... most are idiots. Just my opinion.
    hey don't scratch that ticket here!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Call the EPA
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have your local mold testers come out! lol that would be hilarious! On a serious note... i would bring it up. cause if is in a few boxes then how many others are like that?
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a sad sight indeed:(
    It doesn't sound like this is a very friendly shop I would probably try and talk to who ever seems to be in charge and simpley ask what is this fuzzy stuff, (play dumb) if they don't know and seem to care you can explane it, if they try and pass it off as plume or don't care, well either way you did your part to try and help. Sounds like your going to have to find a new b&m
    At all three of the b&m's I shop at there is Always someone trying to help!
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Tell them! They can decide to listen or not.
    I'm with Gray, up to them, but I'd stick with just getting your supplies there. Man, I've had really good luck with B&M's, all four of the ones I have gone to in my area have asked me to let them know if I find a problem in their shops.
  • Pfft. I'd just take the box and show it to her at the counter. No use beaten around the bush.
    Jasonc1982:
    Pfft. I'd just take the box and show it to her at the counter. No use beaten around the bush.
    ummmm......yeah, it wasn't just one box. it was the whole cabinet or at least 1/2 the cabinet. Anything that wasn't moldy was pretty damn wet.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Spray yourself with a mist bottle like your sweating real bad , then hold your breath til your face turns red.
    Walk up to them itching and twitching. Tell them your allergic to mold. Then puke on the desk.
    That might get their attention ! :)
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robertgreen30:
    Vision:
    Ivory......"Go Fu€k your face!!!!"
    Bigshizza:
    robertgreen30:
    Vision:
    Ivory......"Go Fu€k your face!!!!"
    LMFAO
  • brianetz1:
    Jasonc1982:
    Pfft. I'd just take the box and show it to her at the counter. No use beaten around the bush.
    ummmm......yeah, it wasn't just one box. it was the whole cabinet or at least 1/2 the cabinet. Anything that wasn't moldy was pretty damn wet.
    hmm...im sure there's a polite way of saying "your cigars are in crappy condition"
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    One of the B&M's I go to is like that. I just have to be selective in what I purchase. I don't have a lot of B&M options around me. Chances are, they know. How can they not know?
    curtpick:
    Spray yourself with a mist bottle like your sweating real bad , then hold your breath til your face turns red.
    Walk up to them itching and twitching. Tell them your allergic to mold. Then puke on the desk.
    LMAO!
  • brianetz1:
    Jasonc1982:

Wow! I would bet their business consists of people who've always frequented their shop, and a couple new people who tend to avoid returning. That's really bad.

I go to a local lounge and buy a lot because I can see the attention to detail there, and I like the owner / staff. My actual local shop isn't bad but our tax rate is so high in AR (68%) that I tend to buy a lot more online and I just pay the S&H charges to get them sent in.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I saw some moldy cigars in a store and told the manager once. It wasn't a B&M but it was an awesome specialty deli that carries really nice high end food. They had a little reach in by the liquor isle and they basically knew absolutely nothing about cigars.

I discreetly told them it was mold and that they had to get a different humidification device (as opposed to their green foam puck sitting in half an inch of standing water). They were quite attentive but the next time, and every time, I've gone back it's the same way. I think their cigar supplier does everything for them and he f's it all up but tells them it's all okay. Too bad, it's a great store.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man the box next to it is infested to. No way would I buy anything there. What a shame. I might offer them 10$ to take them off their hands. Take em home wipe all the mold off and put them in a ziplock Baggie and smoke them up if it's not on the the foot too bad.
    Keep us posted. Let us know how they react if you go tell them about the mold.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    As a side note I seem to frequently see JdN infected with mold. It is the most common cigar I see moldy when I go to B&Ms. Anyone else notice this or is it just me.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    curtpick:
    +1 Awesome!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    was this ever resolved?
    dr_frankenstein56:
    was this ever resolved?
    nope i never went back in.....i didn't want to make a special trip in there just to tell them that they have mold on their cigar and haven't needed to go and get new boveda packets yet.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    oh yeah, there is a hygrometer and it reads a nice crisp 70....which is total bullshit. Everything in that humi felt wet as hell.

Well...if they blow you off then I suppose you just find another place to shop. Clearly they don't understand cigars. They are treating this like a business only, so appeal to that sense in them -- no one that understands cigars will buy that crap so they just lost money....
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Echambers:
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:

Well...if they blow you off then I suppose you just find another place to shop. Clearly they don't understand cigars. They are treating this like a business only, so appeal to that sense in them -- no one that understands cigars will buy that crap so they just lost money....
    Yep...I just decided to stay away from that shop for a while
  • thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    do they have a facebook, instagram, or twitter? perhaps post a pic on there and ask them to check their stock. that's subtle right?