Home Non Cigar Related

It's a great day...

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
...for some football! My kid's peewee league started on a scorcher last weekend, but today was gorgeous, and his Cowboys rolled to a 30-0 halftime lead and a final score of 37-6. He's the center with the best snap in the league, but he needs some work on his blocking, still. We're getting there, and it's a heck of a fun trip.
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and that, my brother, is some of the most exciting football you can ever hope to watch. I was sixteen years a football official for youth and high school games. Best seat in the house. Loved those youth games the best. Some of those earest young men are sixty six pounds of pure fearless hero, laying it all on the line, every play. Love it. Used to do five such games a week. Priceless.

Get us some pics of the young man striving. The lessons they learn!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    First time trying on pads and helmet...

photo footballphoto_zpscd61a77c.jpg

Hot summer practice...

photo hotdayatpractice_zps86f24d73.jpg

First game day...it was a scorcher, but beautiful...

photo DadsCamera259_zps600f5d89.jpg

Right before warmups...

photo Helmet_zps189b00c3.jpg

Practice snaps...

photo huthut_zps17efed99.jpg

Some game action...

photo DadsCamera262_zps6945d9c9.jpg
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AWESOME Eric he looks ready to go reminds me of me at his age. How many people tell him he should play football? I bet a lot, I played baseball in spite of the grown ups. Enjoy this time, it goes by sooooo fast.
    A doughty wight. A brawny manling. A vest pocket hero in helmet and pads. Sacrificing for the common goal.

I lift my Don Sergio tequila bottle to manhood in all its sizes.

Seventy Seven!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    :) Awesome dad.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic! I always loved watching the youth games.
    Thanks, all. He's had a lot of fun. We've moved a lot in the last couple of years so it's been hard for the kids to get plugged in with activities. This is his first year playing a team sport because of that.

Kid can't catch, but he has a good eye so we considered baseball. I've seen him smack wicked curves from a whiffle ball, so I thought maybe. He wanted soccer, but we missed sign-ups after our latest move. And I think he'd hate it after a while-all that running. Since he can't catch, he wouldn't wind up a goalie like his dad. He does enjoy a pick-up game on occasion and plays with adults when they need an extra. But football is what he's probably built for.

His only problem is that he's in the oldest age bracket for this league and there aren't many kids bigger than him. If he's going up against someone much smaller, he's afraid he'll hurt them if he's too aggressive. While I appreciate that when he's playing with friends and neighbors, I'm afraid he'll wind up getting injured from holding back in the game. He's got a fast snap and a good transition to blocking. Still needs to work on the shotgun and some blocking technique, but he's getting better every day. And the conditioning is really helping him with stamina and speed. He doesn't see it, but dad does. And he's dedicated. He's been grabbing one of the qb's during down times when the focus is defense, special teams, or second string so he can keep practicing snaps and shotgun. He's turning into a little leader and example for others. Love it.

When my grandson was the biggest in his peewee bunch, I illustrated kinetic energy to him, using first a big hammer dropped on a nail, then a small hammer swung fast at the same nail. Which hammer drives the nail. My point was to show him how force is the square of speed; but only a function of weight. The guy who gets hurt, I said, is the guy who holds back. All the force goes into him. He takes the brunt. The guy who lets it loose puts all his energy into the other guy. He caught on right away.

First time I saw a helicopter lift a kid off the football field, that's exactly what happened. A skinny receiver on a crack back block barreled full speed into a standing lineman twice his size and laid him right out. Doesn't matter how big you are, you better hit hard, or you will get plastered.

Once he moved up to a bigger league, where he was far from largest, I gave my grandson a five buck bonus each player he sent off the field; ten if the player cried. Never got hurt.

If football were for the squeamish, it would not teach the lessons it does. Play hard. Play fast. Give it up for the team.

webmost:
    When my grandson was the biggest in his peewee bunch, I illustrated kinetic energy to him, using first a big hammer dropped on a nail, then a small hammer swung fast at the same nail. Which hammer drives the nail. My point was to show him how force is the square of speed; but only a function of weight. The guy who gets hurt, I said, is the guy who holds back. All the force goes into him. He takes the brunt. The guy who lets it loose puts all his energy into the other guy. He caught on right away.

First time I saw a helicopter lift a kid off the football field, that's exactly what happened. A skinny receiver on a crack back block barreled full speed into a standing lineman twice his size and laid him right out. Doesn't matter how big you are, you better hit hard, or you will get plastered.

Once he moved up to a bigger league, where he was far from largest, I gave my grandson a five buck bonus each player he sent off the field; ten if the player cried. Never got hurt.

If football were for the squeamish, it would not teach the lessons it does. Play hard. Play fast. Give it up for the team.

I'm going to do this today.

Yesterday was the first loss. 26-0 from a team with 15 returning players. My kid played sick, too. And they had him go both ways. Mom wanted him to stay home, but he, while coughing up a lung, said he needed to be there for the team. I'm kind of proud of that. And the cough syrup stopped the hacking, mostly, so he was okay. He played hard, and this team was good. They beat one of our mutual opponents 52-0, and we made some good stops on defense. Our O just couldn't get moving at all.

Balls up.

The 3-1 Cowboys face the Colts today in beautiful northern MS at an early game. Next week is a bye week. Hoping we can pull out a win versus a decent team. Should be a good match-up.

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Hope he has fun and is safe.
    One God, One Truth
    Tough loss. 12-6 after the Colts punched it in on a fourth down play at the end of OT. We almost broke it up in the backfield. My kid had his hand in there on the exchange and another kid almost arm tackled the RB, but he got in on second effort.

Bummer.... Slurpee time?
    Yum
    One God, One Truth
    Cracker Barrel for a consolation brunch.

I remember peewee football. I always hated loosing. I played both ways also and just felt like it was my fault. Im glad that yall are trying to boost his spirits after a tough loss.
    One God, One Truth
    3-2 for the season so far. Today may be our first mud bowl. Hope my kid doesn't let any of those snaps slip out of his hands before they reach the QB. But if they do, the fumble gets credited to the QB anyway, right?

Funny, one of the losses was to the undefeated Broncos. Youth imitates the pros. The other loss was last second in OT on a 4th down play. We'll have a chance to avenge the losses in the next two weeks.

Win. 22-0

Awesome!!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's a great day...." Is a great opening line for this Video . Enjoy.....