Home Non Cigar Related

Fantasy Football Sit/Start Advice

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
I know some of you have to be fantasy gurus, so I thought it might be cool to have a place we can talk about those tough calls and flex plays. I have two or three week 4 conundrums I'm debating I'd love to hear your opinions on.

First, team defense. I have to choose between Seattle, arguably the best in the league, and an up and coming Colts defense playing the worst team in the league in Jacksonville. Is the matchup worth exploiting and inserting the Colts over the Seahawks?

Next, flex play. Darren Sproles or Ahmad Bradshaw? My league is not PPR, so I don't get that boost from Sproles; although it is pretty generous for receiving yards. Bradshaw played well in week 3, but will Richardson take away some of that production? The good thing is this decision shows that I'm pretty confident in my starting RBs, Matt Forte and DeMarco Murray.

Finally, WR. A questionable Andre Johnson against the Seattle D or a scrub/waiver pick-up? Right now, I could replace him with Cordarelle Patterson or Stephen Hill. Arguably my best sub option is on bye this week, Ted Ginn. There's not a lot in the way of WR on the market in this league. Best available options are probably Donnie Avery or Leonard Hankerson.

So, discuss. Defend your favorite. Ask your questions and I'll give you my thoughts in exchange.
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Not a guru by any means... I got a poor draft and haven't won a game yet... my first loss was by a whopping 67 points... so I will be watching for the gurus of the forum to speak their sage advice.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    In my humble opinion. The short answers are yes on the Colts D (just played a tough team on the road and dominated and I am a Niner Fan, I firmly believe part of it was becuase they abandonded the run too early but none the less the shut it down.), Sproles because I think Miami will take away the other options NO provides and he could always have a break out game, and I say its a 50/50 toss up on Johnson but I would go waiver wire I dont think he does anything against Sherman.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    In my humble opinion. The short answers are yes on the Colts D (just played a tough team on the road and dominated and I am a Niner Fan, I firmly believe part of it was becuase they abandonded the run too early but none the less the shut it down.), Sproles because I think Miami will take away the other options NO provides and he could always have a break out game, and I say its a 50/50 toss up on Johnson but I would go waiver wire I dont think he does anything against Sherman.
    I do like your point about Sproles being the only go-to option for Brees. I'm always disappointed the Saints don't use him more, because, quite simply, Ingram is TERRIBLE. But, I was really impressed with Bradshaw against the Niners and he's got the Jags this week. This is for my flex RB/WR.

The thing is, I'm playing a really good friend this week and I really want bragging rights. We're the only two undefeated teams in the league right now. I'd already pulled the trigger on the Colts. I was waffling between Bradshaw and Sproles, and was leaning toward Bradshaw, but I think you've slightly tipped me in favor of Sproles. I'm still up in the air over Johnson. I mean is Stephen Hill (Jets v. Titans) really a better option than Johnson against even the Hawks?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to the dwindling efforts of my 3 QB's I remain winless.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    D's going to depend on your scoring. If you're mostly concerned with points against, go Colts. They're not great at forcing turnovers and return yards though.

Bradshaw's done, fantasy-wise. T-Rich is in town and he'll have a full week of practice under his belt this week. I could be proven wrong, but I wouldn't put much stock in him this week.

Third one I don't really have an opinion, I'm not that great at depth picks.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • dre73dre73 Posts: 13
    I'd go with Sproles over Bradshaw (bummer your league is not PPR). I think the Colts will do a pretty even time share with Richardson and Bradshaw for at least another week and gradually give the load to Richardson. Or it may end up being one of those years where they ride the "hot hand". Plus, Sproles is going to stay heavily involved, Ingram is just a bad fit for that NO offense and he's not producing. They should trade Ingram (maybe to Cleveland or Carolina) where he can pound between the tackles. I'm getting my ass handed to me in my main league (which I'm always usually near the top for the last 9 years) 0-3. But I'm winning in my other 3 'just for fun' leagues (although one is for money too). Anyway, good luck! BTW, I need to decide my flex spot this week....MJD (killing me) or put in a WR (PPR league)? Jennings, Michael Floyd or Kendall Wright? ~Dre
    dre73:
    I'd go with Sproles over Bradshaw (bummer your league is not PPR). I think the Colts will do a pretty even time share with Richardson and Bradshaw for at least another week and gradually give the load to Richardson. Or it may end up being one of those years where they ride the "hot hand". Plus, Sproles is going to stay heavily involved, Ingram is just a bad fit for that NO offense and he's not producing. They should trade Ingram (maybe to Cleveland or Carolina) where he can pound between the tackles. I'm getting my ass handed to me in my main league (which I'm always usually near the top for the last 9 years) 0-3. But I'm winning in my other 3 'just for fun' leagues (although one is for money too). Anyway, good luck! BTW, I need to decide my flex spot this week....MJD (killing me) or put in a WR (PPR league)? Jennings, Michael Floyd or Kendall Wright? ~Dre

The one thing going for MJD is that he's been a Colt killer for a long time. He brings his best against Indy every time. But since you're PPR, that might change my opinion. Kendall Wright has been hauling them in pretty well, but I'd still go with the "put your aces in their places" philosophy on this one. I'm not sure I'd trust any of those guys over the potential that the Colts are not as good as they looked last week (as much as it pains me to say it).

Well, I'm leading 120.1 to 65. I don't think he's going to catch up with Tannehill and Charles Clay. Unless Tanny goes off like P. Manning and throws everything to Clay in the process. Even then, I still have Sproles to get some points.

The score could have been higher. I should have played Andre Johnson after all. Leonard Hankerson did not do me right! I should have stuck with the usual "put your aces in their places" philosophy. Then again, Colts over the Seahawks D was the right call today. Too bad we have a bum manager who isn't updating his roster at all. If he were he'd probably drop the Rams D and I would snag them for next week against the Jags. Well, maybe not.

I already figured it was game over, but now I'm sure. Thank you D. Sproles. Time to set rosters for next week!

Bye weeks hit my WR corp hard this week. No one great is on the waiver wire, so I'm starting Andre Johnson...unless he sits out this week. I hope not. Opposite him is Ted Ginn.

The real questions this week are at QB, Kicker, and D. In order...

Andrew Luck (against Seattle) or Alex Smith (against TN)?
    David Akers or Greg the Leg? Consider that Zuerlein is facing the Jags.
    Colts or Seahawks? I might be a homer here, but I think the Colts secondary looks good and the line and backers should be able to contain Wilson. On the flip side, the Seahawks D is the best, but I don't know if any of their games have pitted them against a team with as many weapons as the Colts. Luck in the air or on the ground, T Rich, Wayne, Fleener, and more.

Thoughts?

I hate replying to myself.

Well, I made mistakes this week. I got so sick of Ellie, the true anti-Christ Manning, the prince of lies. I got so sick of his "promise" that I dropped him as my backup QB in favor of Alex Smith. Then, when I considered Andrew Luck's matchup, I decided not to ride my pony. I didn't follow my own advice and put my aces in their places. And I lost my first game because of it.

But I'm okay with that after what happened in the Colts game.

I did have the smart move and play the Colts D over the Seahawks D. Special teams TD trumps Safety.

The only other mistakes were not major. I played Gates over Olsen. But it was only a half point difference and I still think the right call. I expected both could go off for a good game. I also sat Ted Ginn in favor of Tavon Austin. I figured Austin might be due to bounce back and he was facing the Jags. Worth a shot but it didn't pan out.

No byes for me next week, so I should have a strong outing. In week 7, the only bye I have is Sproles. Week 8 will hit hard, though, with SD, Houston, Indy, and Chicago all on byes.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dropped Eli and put in Bradford and the KC defense continues to do well. I won my second game in a row! Yay for me!!
    Week 8 sucked for me. Everyone was on bye or injured. Glad you got a couple wins, Jim.

I have a dilemma this week. No, I'm not wondering if I should start Alex Smith or Andrew Luck; I ride the pony on that one.

My dilemma isn't as complicated if DeMarco Murray is out again this week, but if he plays...

My flex spot is filled with uncertainty and inconsistency. Who would you play between:
    Darren Sproles (not a PPR league)
    Terrance Williams (Romo's rookie?)
    Pierre Thomas (I really don't like the Saints, except for Brees 'cause he's a Boiler)
    Darrius Heyward-Bay (Will Wayne's injure increase his production?)

I'm soliciting your thoughts on each of these. Who would you play and why? If Murray happens to be out, I would have to play two of them and one would have to be a Thomas or Sproles.

The rest of my lineup for the week:
    QB: Luck
    RB1: Forte
    RB2: Murray-if he plays
    Flex:???
    WR: Garcon
    WR: Andre Johnson
    TE: Gates
    D: Seahawks
    K: Greg the Leg

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Week 8 sucked for me. Everyone was on bye or injured. Glad you got a couple wins, Jim.

I have a dilemma this week. No, I'm not wondering if I should start Alex Smith or Andrew Luck; I ride the pony on that one.

My dilemma isn't as complicated if DeMarco Murray is out again this week, but if he plays...

My flex spot is filled with uncertainty and inconsistency. Who would you play between:
    Darren Sproles (not a PPR league)
    Terrance Williams (Romo's rookie?)
    Pierre Thomas (I really don't like the Saints, except for Brees 'cause he's a Boiler)
    Darrius Heyward-Bay (Will Wayne's injure increase his production?)

I'm soliciting your thoughts on each of these. Who would you play and why? If Murray happens to be out, I would have to play two of them and one would have to be a Thomas or Sproles.

The rest of my lineup for the week:
    QB: Luck
    RB1: Forte
    RB2: Murray-if he plays
    Flex:???
    WR: Garcon
    WR: Andre Johnson
    TE: Gates
    D: Seahawks
    K: Greg the Leg
    personally i don't even think that is a question.....i would play williams all day long. he is a top 75 player and a top 20 WR right now. Romo feels comfortable with him and Romo has a track record of making relative unknown WR into WR2s and sticking to them.

sproles is the only one I would think of sitting him for but sproles isn't doing a ton lately nor getting goaline carries.
    Sproles and Williams. I might even play both of those guys with Murray playing. If Murray is your choice I would play Williams. As a matter of fact I am playing Williams in a similar situation in one of my leagues.
    Are you guys Cowboys fans?

Anyway, I think Williams looks good and have him in the flex spot as of now. I'm looking to take back first place this week. I'm tied on record, but down a few points on the tiebreaker. I'm playing one of the two bozos in our league who decided to give up and not make any roster changes ever. They hear a lot of smack from the rest of us...why bother? We had a wait list for our league.

Niners Fan! Spread all over the board on my teams. Four different leagues and the records are as follows 3-5, 5-2-1, 3-5, and 8-0. Overall having a pretty good season as the two 3-5 teams are in leagues where I am in the mix for top honors in the Points Against Category. Not a good category to be near the top but there really is nothing you can do about it, as it isn't your team scoring but the other team having huge days. Then there is the, you out socre everyone in the league but the person you are playing weeks has happened twice in two different leagues yeah super frustrating. Fantasy is Fickle B, for sure. Enjoy.
    This is it. Last game of the regular season. Tied in first with the tiebreaker currently in my favor. If we both lose, two other teams could potentially move into first. I'm off to a decent start to the week after 15.4 points from Andre Johnson last night, but I have only one question about the roster this week; I'll start with what I'm set on...

QB-Alex Smith (yes, I'm sitting the avatar)
    RB-Forte
    RB-DeMarco Murray
    RB/WR-Fred Jackson
    WR-Johnson*
    TE-Olsen
    D-Seattle
    K-Vinatieri

The only position I doubt in my mind is the second WR spot. Currently I have Garcon placed there, but the Skins look like a trainwreck right now in the passing game. I have the following other options, and I think a couple of them have potential to be as good if not better than Garcon. What say you? I have...
    Michael Floyd (who is listed as Questionable)
    Tavon Austin
    Jerricho Cotchery

I would consider Floyd as a strong possible replacement if healthy and Austin can go nuts. But neither of them seems to be more of a lock at this point, and I have no idea if either should be considered in place of Garcon.

Or maybe I should just rest my starters...wait...

• pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Well the best weather is likely to be in Arizona out of all of those options. Floyd is a threat in the long game. Austin is a wild card, but again playing in Arizona. Cotchery catches TDs but Miami really isn't a joke this year. Is it a PPR league? Kansas City and Arizona both have stout defenses. I would probably start Floyd if healthy. I may be a little biased as a Washington fan. I've pretty well given up on them for the year and it appears they've given up on themselves.
    Good points about the weather. I'm watching Floyd's condition closely.
    pelirrojo:
    Well the best weather is likely to be in Arizona out of all of those options. Floyd is a threat in the long game. Austin is a wild card, but again playing in Arizona. Cotchery catches TDs but Miami really isn't a joke this year. Is it a PPR league? Kansas City and Arizona both have stout defenses. I would probably start Floyd if healthy. I may be a little biased as a Washington fan. I've pretty well given up on them for the year and it appears they've given up on themselves.