Home Non Cigar Related

a cigar and a book

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
kuzi's book club?
Maybe?

i have been reading 1984 for the past day or two (when i find a few moments) and i am finding a new love of reading that i havent had since high school.

i was wondering if there was any interest in a book club here on the forum.

the thought would be that a book is selected (by me because it has my name on it) and we all read it at about the same time and discuss. there will be ample time before the reading/discussing so that those who do not have the book can get it. the pace will be slow to accommodate the slow reader and those with full lives outside the forum and books.

just a passing thought.
any interest?

Comments

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ive got 1984 in my netflix que, does that count?
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I'd probably be up for it, depending on the book.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I believe that time with a book, is time well spent..
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I might be up for this. I almost never read for pleasure in high school or college. Now that I am out...and enjoying cigars, I read almost every other night if I have the time.

Don't laugh, but I started with the Twilight series. I know they are silly and an easy read but, the girlfriend likes them so it was an easy way to get back into reading.

I would be game for more serious books though!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I would like to see a variation (not trying to hi-jack your thread Kuzi) maybe a book thread where everyone puts up like 10 or 12 or however many books you have on a list. Other forum members can look and see if theres anything they would like to read and if so PM that member or let them know in the thread. You must be willing to send that book and throw in maybe a couple of smokes to enjoy reading it with to whoever requests it. This way your spreading around books of interest and one more way to try some more cigars. Just a thought ...Again Kuzi ...wasn't trying to hi-jack your deal here ...I'm just sayin' ...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i see what youa re getting at there gmill... i probably would tend to read one style of book. to me the point of a book club would be to expand my reading into areas i would otherwise not.
    however i have a hard time giving up a book....
    so... maybe a rolling book club. as in i pick trhe first time, someone else picks the next time, another person the time after that.... that way we will see many different books and many different ways of looking at it.
    we would all read them "together" so that we can discuss at the same time
    my only request would be that its all novels.... no texts, or political books ( as in no Glenn Beck, or Al Franken books or things of the like) what about that idea?
    another thought would be that every post before you talk about the reading selection you talk a bit about the cigar that you had while reading.
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Definitely in for a book club type of deal...

Thought your idea regarding having different people suggestion/pick books would be a good way to look at a variety of styles/genres/authors.

The pass might also be a great idea, but I'm with you Kuzi I re-read my books a lot and that makes it hard to pass books around. Definitely need to add the cigar pairing with each section/chapter if you will, classic!

Rob
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be down with that. George Orwell's 1984 is one of my favorite anti-utopian novels. I've read it more times than I can count. Also try Brave New World and The Fall. Typically I'm not into fiction or fantasy. I usually like to read about real life accounts, biographies, historical books. I don't know if you guys would be down with reading the type of stuff I read.

Books I've read lately:
    A Million Little Pieces
    Power & Greed: A Brief History of the World
    Life Story of Omar Khayyam
    The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
    Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Neitzsche
    The Tao Te Ching

Books I plan on reading soon:
    Three Cups of Tea
    The God's Drink Whiskey
    The Iliad
    The Odyssey
    Biography of William Wordsworth called A Life by Juliet Barker

Books I was surprised I liked My Sister's Keeper
    His Dark Materials (Trilogy which houses "The Golden Compass," not really a kids story like the movie was)
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Read this entire trilogy in 3 days on an aircraft carrier)

I'm up for new stuff though.
    Oh. And I definately don't like the idea of passing around books. Sounds like a perfectly good way to ruin online friendships. I send you a cigar and I don't expect to get it back. I'm a little more attached to my books.
    ok... the way that i envision this working is that people can join and leave as they want. no pressure to keep on keeping on.
    but one person will choose the book and kind of "lead" the club while that book is going on. and again the pace will be kinda slow because we all have jobs/school/family that needs to be attended to.
    so fo example:
    suppose i just picked out book "X" as a book that i would like to read. I would say that i want to discuss chapters 1-4 starting in a week or if its a quick read 3 days out.

then we would all kinda come back and talk about it.... along with the cigars we smoked while reading. if the pace is too slow then well make that known in the feedback when we discuss and we can ask to read more.

when the book is first picked, we need a week or two so that those who dont have the book, but want to read it, will have time to find it and buy it.

im probably gunna finish 1984 today (if time doesnt restrict me) and after that ill post a book that could be the first for our "cigar and a book" club.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    This sounds interesting...I'm in.
    I am in too. I only have about 7 books, but I can go buy more or see if the girlfriend has them (which is more likely).

Should be fun!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Sounds good Kuzi ...
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Garen B:
    I'd probably be up for it, depending on the book.
    Ditto
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I'm in, I've only read a handfull of books, but definitly want to read more. I've also been slacking on my cigar intake, so this will give me more reason to relax and enjoy a good read and cigar. I'm a little slow, but I wont hold the group back when they pass me. I'll catch up.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    I'd probably be down. And like you said if someone doesn't feel like buying a book at the time they wouldn't have to. They could come and go and skip books at their whim. Farenheit 451 was interesting if I remember correctly. I'll have to pull out the ole high school book list.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Li-brar-y....lahy-brer-ree. noun, a place set apart to contain books, periodicals, and other materials for reading viewing, listening and study. A building where materials may be borrowed. Visit often, it is one way to see your tax dollars well spent.
    kaspera79:
    Li-brar-y....lahy-brer-ree. noun, a place set apart to contain books, periodicals, and other materials for reading viewing, listening and study. A building where materials may be borrowed. Visit often, it is one way to see your tax dollars well spent.

In case you didn't catch it... that right there was Sar-Kasm. Which as we regulars all know is Sarcasm, Kas' style.
    LMAO
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm 100% in. Just started reading Dune for the first time, but I'll likely finish it pretty quick.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    ok.... i saw district 9 the other day. this has kinda stuck with my recent literary experiences. so.. i think i need one more...

the book im gunna chose is
    The Handmaid's Tale
    by Margaret Atwood.

my wife has read it and said i would enjoy it. she, and a critic on the back, said it would be a great companion novel to 1984.

i have not read this before, but my wife tells me that it is about the changeover from "normal" society to they type of society you would find in 1984 or in any other dystopian literature.

The Handmaid's Tail

kuzi16:
    ok.... i saw district 9 the other day. this has kinda stuck with my recent literary experiences. so.. i think i need one more...

the book im gunna chose is
    The Handmaid's Tale
    by Margaret Atwood.

my wife has read it and said i would enjoy it. she, and a critic on the back, said it would be a great companion novel to 1984.

i have not read this before, but my wife tells me that it is about the changeover from "normal" society to they type of society you would find in 1984 or in any other dystopian literature.

The Handmaid's Tail

Hey Kuzi... Did I miss the format of this little venture?
    I thought that you were going to select a book and we would all try to aquire that book and readit as well.

Are we all going off reading whatever book we choose and then coming back with a review and discussion?

Also is there a date for this to get started or have some of you guys already started?
    yeah, i saw that format.

i came up with it. I was selecting the first book.

thats why i have a link to Amazon with the book selected (for $12)

i have yet to start reading it.

how about we start reading on friday september 11th. thats about 10 days out. is that enough time to get the book? first feedback on the following friday? through chapter 7 titled "Night" ( about 100 pages in on the copy i have)

everyone good with that?
    There is a library down the street from me....I will check that out in the next few days to see if they have it. I don't like the idea of having a $12 book that I might not like. But if I do....I can just buy it later!
    im rootin for ya.
    Looks like the library in the next county over has this book, and my sister says it's one of Margarette Atwood's better novels, so you can count me in.
    clearlysuspect:
    ... and my sister says it's one of Margarette Atwood's better novels...
    I hope she is right. id hate to lead you guys astray on my first selection.

kuzi16:
    clearlysuspect:
    ... and my sister says it's one of Margarette Atwood's better novels...
    I hope she is right. id hate to lead you guys astray on my first selection.

Yeah. She said Handmaid's Tale is pretty good. But she also said that Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood is along the same lines and is most definately her favorite book of all times. Perhaps we'll think of that one next or sometime down the line.
  • I'm down for it. Might be a good way for me to reconnect with the forum. I've been MIA for quite some time.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Had some kid spoil it for me in high school, let me just say it is a great companion to 1984 seen from a female's eyes.