Home Cigar 101

How much room does one need to store your cigars???

I'm just getting into cigars and so far am enjoying every aspect of it. My first Humidor I purchased last month holds up to 100 cigars per the instructions. I will have it full by next week. Umm... Not that I'm a cheapskate or anything, but I'm already $500 in and counting(cigars, Humidor and accessories). Now that I'm finding some cigars that I "really" like. I want to make sure I take every advantage of when they go on sale. But I'm not sure I'll have the space to store them??.... Am I crazy for thinking I may "already" need to get another Humidor to store more cigars in??
How much room does one need???

Thanks!!

Comments

• New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I'm rather new too...but I'll go out and say that you'll need ever expanding room. May want to check out the cooler humis some of these guys use. Should be a cheap(er) way to store many more sticks. I have storage for 200 in two humis right now. I'm sure that in a short period of time, I'll be needing a third.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a cooler!!!!!!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yeah, the cooler is the best and cheapest option. I would go big, you will be surprised at how quickly the can fill!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Over the years I have gone from keeping five-ten at a time, to the most I ever had being about three hundred.. Now, I find I keep about 100-150 that I really like, and control how many I have by the available space in my humidors.
    kaspera79:
    Over the years I have gone from keeping five-ten at a time, to the most I ever had being about three hundred.. Now, I find I keep about 100-150 that I really like, and control how many I have by the available space in my humidors.
    this all depends wether or not you age cigars...and or get special releases. Me I'm a sucker so I stock up and rest/age. If your not into that well it changes what you need/want. I have a few aging things lol winadors and a few more or less rest/age cooladors. If you like crazy pepper/harshness then your good with small humis is you want too age then go cooler. Age too me is over two years rest is up too yhat. People debate this time and time again but really it all comes down too you
    Money can't buy taste
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Not crazy. You will need all of the room. How much all of the room is depends on constraints like budget, space, and significant other. As others have mentioned, for the most space for your dollar, coolerdor is the way to go.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ldman:
    Am I crazy for thinking I may "already" need to get another Humidor to store more cigars in?? How much room does one need??? Thanks!!
    Are you crazy for thinking you may already need another humi? No.
    A lot of folks run into storing issues when they first jump into cigars. Or for that matter, just about any hobby they find themselves getting excited about finding new things.
    It's hard to pass up the deals and soon you end up with a bunch of cigars. The problem is, as your tastes change, which they most assuredly will, you may find a ton of cigars you thought you like sitting.
    Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sitting cigars take up room.

How much room does one need?
    That depends on the person. Some guys have coolers (cooladors/coolidors) or tupperware (Tupadors) that they store their cigars in. They are a great inexpensive alternative.

At one time, I had many desktop humidors that I kept all my cigars in. Then I bought a tower.
    Even with the tower, I have run into space issues once.
    Hitting some folks with packages helped that problem. LOL!

The biggest thing is to work with what ever you are comfortable with.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    100 in just over a month after the first humi! Sounds like you're ready to go wading in the deep end soon....

Like many others say, take it easy with buying a lot of stuff you like now, when you're start up. As you taste different cigars, your tastes will evolve as well. You may find yourself with a lot of sticks that you no longer like as much as you did in the beginning. We've all been there. But yeah, get some ziploc bags even if you think it's a temporary issue. Tupperdor and/or coolidors as needed if you like to hoard like most of us, lol!
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Since you're using humis fine, temp control isn't an issue for you so one available area to research is wine fridges to convert to humi. You can get compressor units very cheap for the size, and just not run the cooling aspect. Or get a thermo electric fridge if you want to cool your stash in the summer hot months. I bought a 40 bottle compressor wine fridge that I don't run cooling on and I love it. Best storage size with classy looks for my likes. Stores a ton of boxes of my aging cigars. But maybe you should get a few years of learning your likes before box storage obviously. Still something to think about because they all learned to go big early on and it would have saved to be able to grow into your humi over a few years.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I use to have 3 300ct humis. Now i've condensed myself to just 1 300ct. The reason for this is that my palate kept changing every 6 months and i then had a ton of cigars that i didn't really care for. Now with just the one humi i can fill it up with what i'm currently enjoying and when it starts to dwindle down i buy more cigars. I rarely by boxes anymore. I stick to 5 or 10 packs so i can have a variety in my humi. In the beginning of this hobby you will start to over buy because of the excitement. After a while you will be a bit more selective and smarter in your choices. Enjoy the hobby.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ldman:
    Am I crazy for thinking I may "already" need to get another Humidor to store more cigars in?? How much room does one need???
    this is nothing new.

more than you need. less than you want

if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you are not CRAZY. This is NORMAL. And the solutions are EASY.

(The best solution IMO is coolers. They come in all sizes and they're plenty cheap enough compared to what we spend on cigars.)
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    No, you are not CRAZY. This is NORMAL. And the solutions are EASY.

(The best solution IMO is coolers. They come in all sizes and they're plenty cheap enough compared to what we spend on cigars.)
    Could not agree more for the typical hobbyist Bob, if you start getting heavier and heavier into buying by the box and setting them down to age over time then looking into a cabinet or a "wineador" is the right option due to better humidity and temperature control, or at the very least more precise rH and temp control. Until then a Coolidor will be a terrific reasonably priced solution for storage concerns. Tons of threads out there that explain step by step how to setup a Coolidor and will take you where you need. To do a coolidor right you can expect $50-$100 all in costs depending on choices, to do a wineador right expect $300-$500+ EASILY if not more. A cabinet? Well that is harder since it really depends on size and options but most are $600-$1000+
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    All you need is a six pack cooler, mine seems to work rather well....:-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    wait...no one told me I need to store these things...uh oh?
  • I got a 48 quart cooler...thought I'd be all set. It's full...
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    scooter mcgee:
    I got a 48 quart cooler...thought I'd be all set. It's full...
    lmao, I remember those days!:-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scooter mcgee:
    I got a 48 quart cooler...thought I'd be all set. It's full...
    LOL welcome to the club of ever expanding "storage needs" haha! Started with a single 125 ct humi back in 2010. Now I've got 4x 20 cts, 2x 125cts, a 300 ct, 48 qt coolidor, and a 18 bottle thermoelectric wineador with custom shelving.... After all the trading, bombing and everything else I went on before I ghosted for 6 months I finally got some room, but trust me room never lasts and you will always seem to find yourself in need of more space. At the end of the day I think it's just be cheaper in the long run for everyone to build a walk in humidor in their own houses :P
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    If one is really smitten by this hobby then know going in that you will need more room...lots of room because you WILL buy more than you ever thought. Coolers are a great idea...next comes Tupperadors and one good wood humidor...that's all you need as you rotate your stock from Big to Small. Having more than this amount of room is just silly ( and I include myself by overbuying through the years and thinking that I needed 35 humidors...I didn't ) and you can buy more cigars than you need humidors. If anything just buy bigger tupperware...the 2.5 gallon size is perfect so that you can inventory them very easily.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    My answer is that it depends on how much you want to have on hand vs how often you smoke. Obviously, buying in bulk is much cheaper, but you need the room and you have to really like that cigar to smoke that many.

I did the usual - started with a small 30 count humi, moved to that plus a 50 count, then up to the Napoleon II chest; the Napoleon II could fit a box (literally) of cigars in the top drawer. And this transition was all within a few months. I started smoking more (by more I mean at least one a day, sometimes 2 or 3).

Then I found there were many more I liked enough to buy a box of and face it, having many options to choose from is awesome.

My answer was to build my own humidor. I built it into my wall. It's 7 feet tall, consisting of 5 shelves, interior lighting and electrical oultets (for extra lighting if wanted later and the humidifier), Sliding windows for the doors. Walking into my office is like walking into a cigar shop. So many good boxes to choose from.

I'm very happy with what I've got and most people would say I've gone overboard. But I still want more... even though I've got literally boxes of Camacho 7/20, Camacho Corojo, Undercrown, Fallen Angel, Casa Torano, CAO MX2 and CX2 and Soprano, 5 Vegas Gold, Fuente Short Story, Perdomo Champagne, Cusano Rare 59, Rocky Patel 1916, Ramon's Odysey and Genesis - and those are just all the boxes. Not to mention the 5 and 10 packs of others I get along the way and with my cigar of the month club.

So I'm guessing that feeling will never go away. Just enjoy what you want and buy or build a container(s) suitable to hold it all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    That depends on whether you're addicted to buying or prefer to smoke and not age. Rule of thumb - triple what you think you need. Everyone says double but that just delays the inevitable.
    MVW67:
    hhhhhmmmmm and bandyt only had a 20ct
    Money can't buy taste
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ldman:
    Am I crazy for thinking I may "already" need to get another Humidor to store more cigars in?? How much room does one need???
    this is nothing new.

more than you need. less than you want

if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!
    Okay, this made me laugh....
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At present about half a cubic foot.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Buy a cooler!!!!!!!!!!

The more I read about the cooler option the more it makes sense.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Coolers really are the way to go for the room and price, especially if you live in somewhat moderate temps. my summers get a little too hot so I went with a 28 bottle wine fridge converted to a wineador. It's holding close to 400 sticks now.....and I'm out of room. You WILL get more than you think you will.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind I do home additions! LOL!
    You will always want/need more storage!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Buy a cooler!!!!!!!!!!

The more I read about the cooler option the more it makes sense.
    Just picked up a 48qt for $25. I already have the boxes ready to fill it.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I have a feeling my 150ct is going to go from "sparse" to "FML I need another humi" very soon
    New Boots:
    I have a feeling my 150ct is going to go from "sparse" to "FML I need another humi" very soon
    you would be correct!! Unless you stop wondering about other cigars and aging lol
    Money can't buy taste