Home Pipes

Pipe tips for Cigar People, what we've learned...

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got to thinking about pipe smoking. It can be an intricate hobby, both frustrating and rewarding depending on if one is "doing it right". There are a lot of little things that go into it. I'd like to share a couple things I've learned, and encourage the rest of y'all to do so as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, just a guy who likes to smoke, and I'd like this to be each individual telling what they've learned.

I'll start us off with 2 things I've learned:

Firstly, for the folks with military experience. Push the pipe cleaner in from the mouthpiece, and never pull it back in that direction. That may sound like a no-brainer, but for someone who's spent a few thousand hours sitting in the hall outside the arms room cleaning weapons until the armorer decides you've spent enough time and he'll start accepting weapons, well, it may be a habit to scrub that pipe cleaner back and forth. Doing so will bring foul tasting oils out to the mouthpiece. Bleah.

Second. Pipes will affect your taste for quite awhile. If you're planning to smoke a cigar in the evening, give at least a few hours since your last pipe. How long depends on your pipe tobacco. Doing it the other way around, cigar first & pipe later seems to work fine.

So, what has anyone else learned that we might want to know?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Ugh...not the arms room =/
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been a long time, but IIRC --

Fill the bowl a third full. Tamp tight. Fill another third. Tamp medium. Fill the last third. Tamp loose.

Light, tamp, light again

Use a pipe one evening, clean it, stem and bowl, then let is rest a couple days while you use another.

Unlike a cigar, you can't set it down two minutes and expect it to be lit. Slow and steady -- but steady

However, unlike a cigar, your pipe will re-light successfully, several times per bowl

If it starts gurgling, unplug the stem and blow that out, then wrist flick the bowl to sling juice out of the neck of the bowl.

Just a little Latakia goes a long way

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Latakia, Lakeland, and Perique will ghost any bowl - including meercschaum if you smoke enough. Best to set a few corn cobs aside for any blend heavy on these 3
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several pipes, I usually smoke the same tobacco out of each one. One is for the Latakia/Perique, a couple for the Capt. Black Royal, one for trying new stuff in.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    A few things that I have picked up and learned of the years. When cleaning your pipe, do not take it apart until it has sufficiently cooled down...it seems like a no brainer, but some individuals will take apart the pipe when it is still hot and end up ruining the stem and or shank. A helpful little tip for you all out there that collect and or restore estate pipes. If you notice oil / resin build up on the stem mouth piece, take some regular tooth paste and a cloth, rub it in real good, and then buff it out--it works like a charm to get rid of those un-wanted bite marks that fill with tobacco oil and will work to bring your stem back to its former shine. Do not over ream your pipes! Reaming should only be used when the cake of your pipe is to the point that it is actually affecting the way your pipe smokes.
    webmost:
    Been a long time, but IIRC --

Fill the bowl a third full. Tamp tight. Fill another third. Tamp medium. Fill the last third. Tamp loose.

Light, tamp, light again

Use a pipe one evening, clean it, stem and bowl, then let is rest a couple days while you use another.

Unlike a cigar, you can't set it down two minutes and expect it to be lit. Slow and steady -- but steady

However, unlike a cigar, your pipe will re-light successfully, several times per bowl

If it starts gurgling, unplug the stem and blow that out, then wrist flick the bowl to sling juice out of the neck of the bowl.

Just a little Latakia goes a long way

All good points. Have you seen the Youtube video "The Frank method" on packing the bowl? Another good way to achieve that smooth and even burn we seek.

slamb@cigar.com:
    A few things that I have picked up and learned of the years. When cleaning your pipe, do not take it apart until it has sufficiently cooled down...it seems like a no brainer, but some individuals will take apart the pipe when it is still hot and end up ruining the stem and or shank. A helpful little tip for you all out there that collect and or restore estate pipes. If you notice oil / resin build up on the stem mouth piece, take some regular tooth paste and a cloth, rub it in real good, and then buff it out--it works like a charm to get rid of those un-wanted bite marks that fill with tobacco oil and will work to bring your stem back to its former shine. Do not over ream your pipes! Reaming should only be used when the cake of your pipe is to the point that it is actually affecting the way your pipe smokes.
    Toothpaste! Why didn't I think of that. I needed that information about 4 hours before the post. :D

As with cigars, patience will be rewarded.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Here is another one for you all. If you have a stubborn estate pipe, or even a newer pipe that is heavily resonated with in the stem and shank, you can put Vodka on a pipe cleaner and swab it out with that. The alcohol will break up any leftover oils and break down the unwanted cake build up that is outside of the actual chamber. JUST MAKE SURE, DO NOT GET THE VODKA ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE STEM OR ON THE FINISH OF THE BRIAR! If you end up doing that it can eat away at the finish. As long as you’re careful, this trick works great and will not leave behind any acrid flavors like rubbing alcohol or any other chemical can...plus you can drink your cleaning solution so what’s more fun than that! Na Zdorovie!
    Noticed this had expired. I was thinking of Pilgrimtex, as an experienced pipe smoker, and wondering if he had anything to add to what we've already said here.

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Thank you for the invite to throw in my 2 cents.
    I've been smokin pipes now for a few years again. When I quit smokin when the kids were born I saved my best pipes for when I get to the point that I will die of other causes than smokin and now that I'm there What the hell. LOL
    Okay where do I begin.
    First to correct an error. You pack a pipe in thirds if you want to follow the rules; However, The first third you pack as a baby, the second third as a momma, the last third as a daddy. in otherwords start light and end heavy.
    When I was young I bought the tins of tobacco but now that I am old and wise I buy in bulk. You can buy it in ounces or lbs. and it is a great way to experiment and find blends that work for you. You can also make your own custom blends by mixing bulk blends. Like bakin a cake.
    All the good tinned tobaccos can be found in bulk. The tobacco stores have their special blends that you can sample and find one. These are nothing more than bulk tobaccos they buy and change the name. Once you found a blend ask what the brand and name is that they order and then purchase online. No tax. Generally no shipping. and most my blends cost 1.55/ounce. Send me a PM if you want more info on this.
    Next the cost of a pipe is not indicative of how it will smoke. I have a number of low cost pipes that I smoke over and over in the course of the day. Be sure to purchase briar or meerschaum. other materials cannot survive an avid pipe smoker. I've had every non briar pipe split over time.
    Rest your pipe between smokes. Let it cool thoroughly and if its wet let it dry.
    Build up in a pipe is good. Protects the pipe and cools the smoke. Over about 1/16 thickness should be reamed.
    When it gets time for a thorough cleaning/reaming I wash my stems in hot water. Run a scrubbing pipe cleaner back and forth through it under running water will make it like new. Obviously do not wash the bowl.
    Now for the smoke:
    Blends smoke better in some pipes than others. Some like large bowls while others prefer smaller bowls. Some like to be packed hard. Some like to hardly be packed.
    If your getting a lot of moisture in your pipe and or gurgling; try lighting up on the tamping. Also the tobacco may be too moist. Remember in bulk you pay by the ounce. Moist tobak weighs more. LOL
    I store my tobak in clear containers with a sealing lid I buy from wally world. $8. If the tobacco is too moist place in a baking pan and let sit out for awhile. Play with the moisture content till you find a happy medium. Too dry burns fast and hot.
    Pipe shape falls on the smoker. I prefer the bent pipe myself.
    I can always be found with a pipe in my mouth. Its a joy and once you really get into it you'll be hooked. Searching for that perfect blend. Experimenting with pipes and tobacco. Makes a great hobby. I get everything on line. I visit a tobacco shop in Weatherford TX when I'm in the area mainly to talk pipes and cigars.
    Smokin a pipe is also more pleasing to your neighbors. I always get compliments on the aroma of the smoke vs that dreaded cigar. LOL
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Thank you for the invite to throw in my 2 cents.
    I've been smokin pipes now for a few years again. When I quit smokin when the kids were born I saved my best pipes for when I get to the point that I will die of other causes than smokin and now that I'm there What the hell. LOL
    Okay where do I begin.
    First to correct an error. You pack a pipe in thirds if you want to follow the rules; However, The first third you pack as a baby, the second third as a momma, the last third as a daddy. in otherwords start light and end heavy.
    When I was young I bought the tins of tobacco but now that I am old and wise I buy in bulk. You can buy it in ounces or lbs. and it is a great way to experiment and find blends that work for you. You can also make your own custom blends by mixing bulk blends. Like bakin a cake.
    All the good tinned tobaccos can be found in bulk. The tobacco stores have their special blends that you can sample and find one. These are nothing more than bulk tobaccos they buy and change the name. Once you found a blend ask what the brand and name is that they order and then purchase online. No tax. Generally no shipping. and most my blends cost 1.55/ounce. Send me a PM if you want more info on this.
    Next the cost of a pipe is not indicative of how it will smoke. I have a number of low cost pipes that I smoke over and over in the course of the day. Be sure to purchase briar or meerschaum. other materials cannot survive an avid pipe smoker. I've had every non briar pipe split over time.
    Rest your pipe between smokes. Let it cool thoroughly and if its wet let it dry.
    Build up in a pipe is good. Protects the pipe and cools the smoke. Over about 1/16 thickness should be reamed.
    When it gets time for a thorough cleaning/reaming I wash my stems in hot water. Run a scrubbing pipe cleaner back and forth through it under running water will make it like new. Obviously do not wash the bowl.
    Now for the smoke:
    Blends smoke better in some pipes than others. Some like large bowls while others prefer smaller bowls. Some like to be packed hard. Some like to hardly be packed.
    If your getting a lot of moisture in your pipe and or gurgling; try lighting up on the tamping. Also the tobacco may be too moist. Remember in bulk you pay by the ounce. Moist tobak weighs more. LOL
    I store my tobak in clear containers with a sealing lid I buy from wally world. $8. If the tobacco is too moist place in a baking pan and let sit out for awhile. Play with the moisture content till you find a happy medium. Too dry burns fast and hot.
    Pipe shape falls on the smoker. I prefer the bent pipe myself.
    I can always be found with a pipe in my mouth. Its a joy and once you really get into it you'll be hooked. Searching for that perfect blend. Experimenting with pipes and tobacco. Makes a great hobby. I get everything on line. I visit a tobacco shop in Weatherford TX when I'm in the area mainly to talk pipes and cigars.
    Smokin a pipe is also more pleasing to your neighbors. I always get compliments on the aroma of the smoke vs that dreaded cigar. LOL
    Good advice. I just started in October of last year, and while I am familiar with many of these tips, I still feel like I haven't got the swing of pipe-smoking yet! So, that's what I learned... pipes are VERY different from cigars! I will try and smoke my pipe a little more often, we need more traffic in the pipe section!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Thanks, Pilgrimtex and Gray4lines, we do need more input here.

I really think that patience is the key to getting the most out of your cigars, and cigar patience is just a warm-up for what it takes to get the most out of your pipe. Pipes require a basic understanding of physics, or at least fire-building and management, to truly get the most out of them. Time, repetition, attention to detail, are all rewarded.

On another note, Pilgrimtex, I've seen that tattoo before, and not just in the other thread you posted it on. I've spent quite a bit of time in Texas, graduated high school there, was stationed there, spent several weeks at BAMC when my son lost his arm, and that tattoo sticks out in my mind. A chance passing, no doubt, but I remember the pipe, vs the traditional cigar. Unless more folks have that than I think.
    Just an interesting side note. :)

Amos:
    I am the only one allowed to have the pipe. We are a very small group of Vets that ride. Perhaps a passing LOL.
    Patience is the key as well as the need to experiment. You can get a wealth of info from a good tobaco shop. Become friends and be willing to learn. Try out their blends and try to get blends that don't bite. A number of on-line dealers have reviews on the various blends.. Read them.
    Don't be afraid to make up your own combinations.
    For those who have not tried buying bulk tobacco may I recommend:
    Altadis – Black Kathy: A super mild and aromatic Black Cavendish. The blend consists of selected Virginia and Burley grades. Heat-treated and bulk cured a full week, to create an unusual mild and low nicotine smoke. Deliciously flavored with Sweet Vanilla.
    Lane Ltd – BLWB: Burley-Light-Without-A-Bite (BLWB) is a Burley blend without Burley's traditional bite and with Lane Limited's fabulous aroma. Smooth, cool smoking and mellow, this is an all day tobacco and is very popular as a blending component.
    Lane Ltd – Very Cherry: Very Cherry uses a great blend of excellent tobaccos- mellow Burley, sweet and tangy Virginia and a bit of mildly sweet steamed black Cavendish, and is finished with an amazingly rich cherry flavor and aroma. This is one that no one will object to.
    Lane Ltd – TK6: TK-6 is a blend of terrific toasted/steamed Cavendish along with smooth and mellow Burleys that forms a very easy smoking mixture. What sets it apart is a wonderful creamy cherry flavor that isn’t sharp or bitey like so many of the cherry blends available.
    NOTE: I blend BLWB with Very Cherry to cut down on the strong tastes. I do about a 50-50 mix.
    All of these blends are very mild and will not produce a bite. The aroma on all except BLWB is very pleasant. BLWB does not have much but I use it for blending with other tobaccos. The descriptions above are from the supplier. Average cost per ounce for 16 ounces or more is 1.62/oz. 80 ounces or more is 1.56/oz.
    I used to be able to buy Lane 1-Q by the pound locally, cost roughly $20 and was my favorite staple. Unfortunately, that option is gone now, and the "blends" they've replaced them with are questionable to me. I see that CCOM carries this in bulk, but 5 lb. is a lot of tobacco! One thing about the 1-Q, anytime you light it up the person you're with will suddenly experience an intense longing for chocolate, so be prepared!

I used to smoke 1Q but evolved to my present blends. You can buy just an ounce if you want. Send me a pm and i'll give you more info.
    I just made up a new in home blend using Black Kathy and BLWB. Fun to play around.
    pilgrimtex:
    I used to smoke 1Q but evolved to my present blends. You can buy just an ounce if you want. Send me a pm and i'll give you more info.
    I just made up a new in home blend using Black Kathy and BLWB. Fun to play around.

My new blend of BLWB and Black Kathys is slowly becoming my favorite. The Cavendish Tobacco comes from Capt Cavendish of the Royal Navy who accidentally spilt wine on his Tobacco. Being a long time from any tobacco shops he let it dry and smoked it. Voila - A new smoke named after the Capt.
    Some more crumbs of advice if you're thinking of getting started.
    For those thinking about purchasing a starter set read the following:
    First think of the shape and size of pipe you would like. Bowl should not be too small. Say maybe 3/4 inch. Next I don't recommend filtered pipes. You would soon tire of it and not use the filters. Make sure the wood pipe is made from real briar and not meant to look like one. Pipes that have a coating in the bowl so you don't have to break it in are ok. If you get one without the coating don't bother with the normal method of breaking it in. Go ahead and fill it but make sure you smoke it all the way down. That is important.
    A simple nail is all you need for a tool. It is a piece of aluminum that looks like a nail with a flattend end for cleaning out the bowl. The head is for tamping. Your cigar lighters are fine. If you have a torch I prefer a single flame. You don't want to burn the briar with the high temps. Some tools have a small dia rod attached. It is for clearing the stem in case a piece of tobac blocks the passageway. You will also need pipe cleaners. I like the ones with scrubbing brissals when you clean the pipe.
    Never clean a hot pipe. Let cool before separating the stem. I ALWAYS twist to the right as I remove the stem and also when replacing (unless you get a pipe that threads together.). This is a must with meerschaums that have a screw in insert.
    The tobacco is what will make you or break you. LOL Bite is a term for having your tongue feel like you ran it up a telephone pole. Read reviews on different tobaccos. Since I always have a pipe in my mouth I go for taste without bite. I have a blend called Celtic which is great for a one time smoke once in awhile. LOL. A good blend I make is 1/2 part Altadis - Black Kathy and 1/2 part Lane Ltd. BLWB. A very smooth all day smoke with absolutely no bite. Thats it. If you buy individually based on above it may be even cheaper than buying a prepackaged set.
    For years I tried to like a blend called Flying Dutchman. There were things about it I liked, but the "bite" was just too sharp. I've seen a lot of folks say "no torch" but I have great success with the single flame, caution IS necessary, though. Question: if you've found yourself not smoking all the way down, do you pack a short bowl, and thus heat the bottom? That's what I do, and it seems to work at keeping the bitterness down.

Amos Umwhat:
    For years I tried to like a blend called Flying Dutchman. There were things about it I liked, but the "bite" was just too sharp. I've seen a lot of folks say "no torch" but I have great success with the single flame, caution IS necessary, though. Question: if you've found yourself not smoking all the way down, do you pack a short bowl, and thus heat the bottom? That's what I do, and it seems to work at keeping the bitterness down.

The act of smoking creates water vapor as in any combustion process. This moisture carries tar etc into the unsmoked blend as the smoke conveys to your mouth. As the smoking continues the tars build up and that is why at times the end of a pipe is not the same. Short packing is one way to reduce the bite. You can dilute the smoke with a mild bland tobacco such as BLWB. Pack it less tight etc.
    Don't worry about heating the bottom. It's a pipe.
    Tamping. For those of you who are new to pipes, I cannot over-emphasize the importance of tamping. Just as with cigars you want to smoke slow and usually leave the ash on until you have to ash it, thus creating a cooler smoke that releases more flavor, with pipes you must tamp to slow down and cool the burn.

Some examples of time to tamp might be:
    you're sure it's burning, but the taste isn't there, the smoke is thin. Tamp.,

Your pipe seems hot, slow down, and tamp

The last few puffs were thick, luxuriant smoke, and now you think "is it going out?", tamp and draw before applying more fire.

I'm sure there's more, anyone feel free to chime in

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Amos Umwhat:
    Tamping. For those of you who are new to pipes, I cannot over-emphasize the importance of tamping. Just as with cigars you want to smoke slow and usually leave the ash on until you have to ash it, thus creating a cooler smoke that releases more flavor, with pipes you must tamp to slow down and cool the burn.

The last few puffs were thick, luxuriant smoke, and now you think "is it going out?", tamp and draw before applying more fire.

Sometimes you will be smoking along and everything is fine. Then you notice that the draw is a little lighter then it was when you started. Tamp! This is especially true for those of you using the Frank method.
    J.S.:
    Amos Umwhat:

Sometimes you will be smoking along and everything is fine. Then you notice that the draw is a little lighter then it was when you started. Tamp! This is especially true for those of you using the Frank method.
    Good tip. I think barbecueing may be a good analogy. When your bbq fire is burning efficiently, there's little smoke, just heat. Same with the pipe, your tobacco is sometimes burning too efficiently to produce smoke. For a cigar guy, we think "hmm, must need a re-light", but it ain't necessarily so.l

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Here is what I learned... Screw the pack. Shove that Baccy in with your thumb. Slam it down twice. Light, tamp, light, tamp, light, tamp....smooth burn all the way down. My tobacconist finally just told me, man I just shove that *** in there bro, and he's owned a shop since 68. Ever since then, smooth burn, smooth draw, no gurgle, and I'm really starting to enjoy it.
    catfishbluezz:
    Here is what I learned... Screw the pack. Shove that Baccy in with your thumb. Slam it down twice. Light, tamp, light, tamp, light, tamp....smooth burn all the way down. My tobacconist finally just told me, man I just shove that *** in there bro, and he's owned a shop since 68. Ever since then, smooth burn, smooth draw, no gurgle, and I'm really starting to enjoy it.

You Got It.
    Bump, for Ehehat.

Got to thinking about it, and taking a cue from some of what Catfishbluezz has had to say, I think that if you're getting into pipes, start with a corn cob pipe. A fairly good one. There's plenty of time to buy a nice briar later, or even at the same time, but a corncob smokes right as soon as you start. Briars take breaking in, sometimes a LOT of breaking in. I think that for the new piper, a corncob will let you concentrate on what tobaccos you like, you can break in a nice briar later.

• ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this Amos. I'll have to shop around. I find the cob look really isnt for me but if it's better to start, I'm all about function over form.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yes, that is true it does take time to break in a good briar. On the other hand a pre-carboned bowl allows you to smoke properly right away. Cobs are good and they have there place. A lot of people use them to start and some use them when they need to rest a briar too.