Home General Discussion

Sealing a Humidor

Dumb question, I was given a humidor that doesn't have any sort of seal around the edges, just wood meeting wood when the lid is closed. And, actually there is a little gap on one side when it is closed, so, I can't forsee that it will hold moisture appropriately. It is a nice looking box that appears to be hand made, so I know that it has potential, but don't know what to use to attach a seal to top and bottom. Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a dumb question at all. In fact, a very good question.
    Most often, the wood meeting the wood is the seal.
    But if you can see a gap, then something isn't lined up properly or was made with something not lined up.
    Some manufacturers will use the lip on the cedar lining to increase the sealing capability. Sounds like this isn't the case with your humi.

If you could post a pic of the humi or maybe put a link from a site that has a similar humi, we can have a better idea which one you are dealing with.

As for a seal, that depends on how bad the gap is. Pics would help a lot.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Assuming it's bone dry, why not re-season it first and see if the wood swells at all and if the fit is tighter. Recently someone here suggested wiping the seal area with a bit distilled water as well although I've never tried that. Is the humi lined with Spanish cedar? If not, maybe you could line the box with Span. cedar and create a lip that might seal better?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prolly find a nice self-adhesive gasket strip at mcmaster.com .
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• I've tried to put some distilled water around the edge and lip. Forgot if it really did anything or not. But I think I do have a slow leak. Pretty sure I got it under control though.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't recommend wiping water on the cedar it could cause more problems. I would try to season it and then see what it does.