Home Non Cigar Related

Vacation ideas?

ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
So I am in Afghanistan right now but I want to take a little vacation when I get home. I do not have a passport yet so I am having to stay in the US. Any ideas of a decent place for a single 22 year old guy to spend a week or so? ps - it will be cold when I get home and I am from NY so I don't want to go anywhere cold.

Comments

• Any place south. Texas: Dallas, Houston. Florida: Miami, the Keys. Arizona: Phoenix.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Dallas Texas is a fun place with some GREAT smoke shops. If you want somewhere a little more warm and tropical in the states, I'd say either South Padre Island here in TX, or somewhere in South Florida. Padre is fun, nice beaches, not as crowded as S. Florida would be, and less crime that in a place like Miami or something like that.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I just recently went to Orlando, Florida for a few nights with my dad to look at investment properties down there. There's great food, good bars and most importantly: Corona Cigar Bar. They have 3 locations around the Orlando Area - one, right on Sand Lake Blvd, right next to a great restaurant called Roy's (Hawaiian fusion). If it's nice out, they have a decent little patio. If it's raining, they have some seating inside. The entire store is a walk-in humidor. Pretty crazy to see.

Oh, and if you decide on Orlando, bring some money. There's some incredible eats around, but it'll cost ya. I'd recommend Charlie's Chop House for a nice steak and port, then a good strong cigar like an Opus or 5 Vegas Cask Strength. Actually, Charlie's used to be a cigar bar as well, but laws changed. I believe they may still have a humi and sell cigars.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    ejenne87:
    So I am in Afghanistan right now but I want to take a little vacation when I get home. I do not have a passport yet so I am having to stay in the US. Any ideas of a decent place for a single 22 year old guy to spend a week or so? ps - it will be cold when I get home and I am from NY so I don't want to go anywhere cold.
    Dude come over to NYC and let's party! LOL... Come to the herf then head for a roadtrip to Orlando or go to Virginia...
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I def. like the idea of Orlando, and the food and cigars! I have been to SPI because my parents live in south Texas. I have also been to Phoenix and lots of other places in the south west. I was thinking Miami or Hawii. I will have a bit of $$ saved up so I can def. treat myself a little. Pretty much anywhere warm and new is an option. And Renne - I just might have to take you up on that NYC offer some time. I always love going to the city. I was born and raised up by Syracuse in the country so a huge city, especially NYC is always fun!
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    ejenne87:
    " I was thinking Miami or Hawii. "

Nice place for a 22 yr. old to go vacation...
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I mean, hello.....it's HAWAII.....No brainer there...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try Myrtle Beach, not too far from Bragg, which would cut down on your travel time. At Broadway Beach, they have the Blarney Stone Pub and Cigar Bar. The place is terrific! And for a young single guy, there is plenty of eye candy. Being an old guy, I averted my glance, also my wife was with me!

Thanks for serving! Stay safe.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    cabinetmaker:
    I mean, hello.....it's HAWAII.....No brainer there...
    Not if you go there using your Nintendo Wii. It's hawaii without all the meth, pineapple, and sunburn!
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I know you said not cold.  But as a single person also I can't just sit, or walk around and "see the sites".  I like to go skiing - Steamboat Springs is heaven on earth in my book.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I know its the military and all so your window of when you would going on leave is vaque, but if you could give me a month of where its likely let me know. I'll throw up some ideas. Also what sports do you like?
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I like all sports! I played everything while I was in school. I am thinking it will be in either early March or in early June, depends when they let me go... :-)