Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone else into Woodworking? Needing some help.

Once it warms up, I was hoping to get back into the garage to make a few things. I was wondering if anyone else did a little woodworking?

I am trying to figure out a way to build a few cigar related items. Maybe some cigar/pipe stands, ashtrays, cigar box lamps, stuff like that.

If I can clean out some room I have a lathe in storage and thought it would be really need to turn some small logs into round ashtrays, maybe leave a little bark around the top to give a little more room to rest the cigars.

Until I am able to get the lathe in place I was thinking on starting with a square type ashtray. Just build a box, drill some large wholes around the side and then cut the box in half splitting the holes in 2. This would give me 2 ashtrays in theory. My only concern is what type of finish.

Let me know what you think, I am still in the planning stages. I am fairly certain I will want to use a wood with tight grain for the hardness.

Comments

• RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Once it warms up, I was hoping to get back into the garage to make a few things. I was wondering if anyone else did a little woodworking?

I am trying to figure out a way to build a few cigar related items. Maybe some cigar/pipe stands, ashtrays, cigar box lamps, stuff like that.

If I can clean out some room I have a lathe in storage and thought it would be really need to turn some small logs into round ashtrays, maybe leave a little bark around the top to give a little more room to rest the cigars.

Until I am able to get the lathe in place I was thinking on starting with a square type ashtray. Just build a box, drill some large wholes around the side and then cut the box in half splitting the holes in 2. This would give me 2 ashtrays in theory. My only concern is what type of finish.

Let me know what you think, I am still in the planning stages. I am fairly certain I will want to use a wood with tight grain for the hardness.

Water based sealants come in clear form but coloring can be added to create the desired effects you seek. Another method would be to paint the piece flat black latex and then lightly sand it to remove the paint in spots then apply the sealer, this creates a unique finish that I use on a lot of my carvings and woodwork.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:

I so a bit of wood working and am happy to share what I know. In fact I'm in the design phase of building a small cabinet humidor. One of the things I've noticed on a lot of wood ashtrays is that they have a small price of glass on the bottom.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    Interesting, thanks for the tip. I think I will have to play around with it for a while. I'm sure I will find something. Since the cherry won't be sitting on the wood directly I don't think I have much of a fire issue. However I need something strong enough to stand up to being cleaned out regularly.
    Echambers:
    I do a bit of wood working and am happy to share what I know. In fact I'm in the design phase of building a small cabinet humidor. One of the things I've noticed on a lot of wood ashtrays is that they have a small price of glass on the bottom.
    Yeah, but I think that is mainly for the cig. smokers to put out their butts. I might have to make a few prototypes to take to my B&M to do some testing.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Just build a box, drill some large wholes around the side and then cut the box in half .
    Once you drill wholes you won't have much left to split in half.
    But you know what would make a neat ashtray, once you get the lathe set up? How about a one-piece floor model? I'd love to have one like that out on the porch.

Lathes are so much fun it's unreal.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Echambers:
    I do a bit of wood working and am happy to share what I know. In fact I'm in the design phase of building a small cabinet humidor. One of the things I've noticed on a lot of wood ashtrays is that they have a small price of glass on the bottom.
    Yeah, but I think that is mainly for the cig. smokers to put out their butts. I might have to make a few prototypes to take to my B&M to do some testing.
    If seen those in mostly cigar ashtrays. My guess is that it keeps the hot ash off the polyurethane finish. Even though the cherry is generally not in contact with the wood the ash can burn hot as you know. Not sure how the finish smells of it burns but that would b another reason to line with glass. IMHO
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Echambers:
    curtiscr79:
    Echambers:
    If seen those in mostly cigar ashtrays. My guess is that it keeps the hot ash off the polyurethane finish. Even though the cherry is generally not in contact with the wood the ash can burn hot as you know. Not sure how the finish smells of it burns but that would b another reason to line with glass. IMHO
    I didn't think of the ash still being hot. Dang it, see things like that I didn't think of.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Echambers:
    curtiscr79:
    Echambers:
    I didn't think of the ash still being hot. Dang it, see things like that I didn't think of.
    Don't know if it would work on wood .... but I know Mr Stogie Stand Daniel Reyes has posted info about the sealants/heat-proof products he's used to seal some of his decorative stogie stands....

Paging DZR!!!
    Or you might want to shoot him a PM...but I'll try to dig up that post. (EDIT: no luck, couldn't find it)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been experimenting with casting resins both as a finish and a bottom, I have several blanks I cut off a hollow log, so far it is holding up very well.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    What kind of jaws for your lathe do you have? If you have a 4 jaw chuck you could turn a nice solid square block to have a nice smooth round ash catcher... just a thought... I work with metals so I will see if I can post a picture of one I will make next week to see if you like or can duplicate with wood. How big of "box" were you thinking?
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Instead of glass, you might want to try copper sheathing. Mortise it into the top lip of the ashtray. It would be easier to shape and work with than glass. IMHO
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    macs-smokes:
    What kind of jaws for your lathe do you have? If you have a 4 jaw chuck you could turn a nice solid square block to have a nice smooth round ash catcher... just a thought... I work with metals so I will see if I can post a picture of one I will make next week to see if you like or can duplicate with wood. How big of "box" were you thinking?

Or you can build yourself a chuck to mount to a face plate for turning a square block if you have a bandsaw or other means of cutting the square hole in the center of the chuck. I've used this technique in the past to torn round cavities in square stock. It works well for me.