Home General Discussion

What size cigar do you prefer?

j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
Well, I guess the title is where it's at. What size cigar do all you forum junkies prefer?

I'll start. To begin, I'm somewhat of a novice cigar smoker, so I believe that has some bearing on my preference. I'm a fan of Torpedo and Robusto sizes, and I think this is due to the fact that they are not an incredibly drawn-out and long lived smoke. Quite frankly, i've been hesitant to try anything in a Churchill or Double Corona size due to the sheer amount of time involved in the smoking experience. Also, I feel my inexperience may lead to the ruination of a cigar that requires more patience, since I have been known to rush the smoke by puffing a little harder than I should or with greater frequency than most would recommend.

So, what about you guys?

Comments

• ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Welcome aboard. When I started, I know I was rushing the smoking experience. But with time I've learned to slow down and appreciate the experience at lot more. As far as sizes, I normally go with the robustos, toros, and torpedos, these probably make up 95% of my purchases.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i am a big fan of the toro (6ish x 50ish) . this size susally gets me about 90- 105minutes of smoking. i make time for a good cigar. i dont let my time dictate my cigar. however, as of late i have been enjoying the smaller ring size. ive become a fan of the corona and lancero. i find that if i can slow down my smoking then i can enjoy the more wrapper heavy cigars. (dont make me use math to show you the wrapper to filler ratio!!)
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    I would say i my favorite sizes are torpedo's and robusto's. I have not had many cigars less than a 50 ring gauge, but i would like to venture out and try some lanceros.
  • handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    Torpedoes!!! Thats my favorite size to smoke...I love shorter cigars with big ring gauges. Anything that will burn cool and slow. Other than that I love to smoke every size....nothing matters past this
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    for most cigars I say bigger the better, but for some cigars such as the cao maduro, I prefer a smaller guage. I do like a choix supreme too, those are about 42 guage if I remember correctly.
  • LarryDLarryD Posts: 59
    I have always been a fan of churchills, yet go for the smaller ones due to time constarints. I have been known to let it go out peacefully, then re light it later.
  • ChevyChevy Posts: 61
    I typically smoke Robustos and Toros, I like a 48 or 50 gauge. I will also occasionally light up a torpedo.
  • phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    it depends on the Marca. Usually my favorite is the robusto; but I also like a lot os smaller cigars like perlas and PC's.
  • definately the toro! its freakin perfect. not too big or too little. just right. 6X50
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    So i guess it really does boil down to personal preference as I can see with the replies thus far. Cool. Thanks for the input guys, I'm always interested to know what others like and why as part of the learning process and maybe picking up something I missed.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭

As a fellow novice I too have found a liking for the torpedo, but I think it is a close second to my size of choice, the Toro.  (Maybe it has something to do with my sign?  Taurus=Toro?  Hmmm, who knows.  LOL)

Anyway, anything about 5.5-6 x 48-52 is just about right.

• phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    jihiggs:
    for most cigars I say bigger the better, but for some cigars such as the cao maduro, I prefer a smaller guage. I do like a choix supreme too, those are about 42 guage if I remember correctly.
    The Choix Supreme is a hermosa or robusto like creation, with a 48 ring. That being said, it is still one of my favorites. Great cigar.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Robusto Torpedo Corona In that order.
    CigarStudent.com:

Nice article and some solid advice. It was not too terribly long ago that I picked up cigar smoking, and I for one can say that I really wanted to rush the experience much the same as you described in the article. I found myself questioning my manner of smoking when I began to really notice how bad some of the cigars I was smoking tasted, and these were cigars that were pretty well reviewed. It occurred to me that I was probably creating too much heat by puffing so furiously and that was causing the foul taste, so I figured I should slow it down because there is really no point in smoking a cigar if it is not enjoyable.

As I've mentioned on this forum, I'm a fairly new cigar smoker, so there is a lot for me to learn, but in that regard I fancy myself a cigar student as well since I try to learn and really understand everything about cigars, and not a day goes by that I don't learn something new.
  • matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54

I would have to say that I don't have enough experience to answer this question appropriately. I know that I like the swisher sweet Perfecto size but of the real cigars I have smoked I have only had 5.25 x 42. I don't even know the whole cigar size break down. I got it figured out that fing size is how big around the thing is and the other dimension is it's length but I don't know the size names. Is a Robusto bigger or longer than a corona? I just don't know. Help would be greatly appreciated. Also how do I add a reply to a thread without replying to a person?

-Matt

matt.hickey:

I would have to say that I don't have enough experience to answer this question appropriately. I know that I like the swisher sweet Perfecto size but of the real cigars I have smoked I have only had 5.25 x 42. I don't even know the whole cigar size break down. I got it figured out that fing size is how big around the thing is and the other dimension is it's length but I don't know the size names. Is a Robusto bigger or longer than a corona? I just don't know. Help would be greatly appreciated. Also how do I add a reply to a thread without replying to a person?

-Matt

Hey Matt. I know exactly where you are coming from not knowing much about sizing and names, that will come with some experience, but for now here is a link that you can copy and paste that will give you an idea of how size corresponds to the given name.

http://cigars.about.com/od/sizesshapes/a/0060703.htm

You reply to a thread by hitting the reply button, to reply to a person, you hit the quote button as I did to respond to you.

Well, hopefully I was a bit of help.

Joe

j0z3r:
    Hey Matt. I know exactly where you are coming from not knowing much about sizing and names,

Thanks Joe. Although normally I hate About.com, mostly because it is a poser site, I did gleem some information about the naming topic. Was the Churchill size named after Winston Churchill? Anyways, figured out the reply quote thing now, thx.

-Matt

I hear ya on About.com, that was what I got from about 2 seconds worth of searching. I've got a wikipedia link for a bit more comprehensive information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigar#Size_and_shape

Glad to be of some help.

Joe.
    Yo joe! Much better site for the info thanks. Maybe I won't act so retarded ALL the time. LOL
  • CrimthannCrimthann Posts: 37
    I really tend to prefer shorter cigars with large rings 50+. As for cigar shape I prefer perfecto/pirates & torpedoes.

What is it about the size ring and length that makes it your favorite? I personally like one that is lit and in my hand. Much past that and I couldn't tell you I have a preference. Most of the people I work with compare it to sucking ...well you get the picture. Needless to say I don't need to go to work gloating that my favorite is some 9x66 cigar. LOL So guys how 'bout it? You all posted your fav size but why?

That's a good question actually, I'm a bit jealous that I forgot to put it in my original post lol.

I put in my original post that my preferred sizes are Torpedo and Robusto. Both sizes sport a larger ring gauge, 52 and 50 respectively, and are shorter in length when compared to some other sizes. Many people say that a larger ring gauge will burn cooler, and that has been my experience (except when I puff on it like a vacuum cleaner) and the shorter length is appealing to me because I don't always want to spend 90 minutes or more smoking, in fact most of the time I prefer to spend between 45 and 60 minutes smoking. And I won't lie that cigars in excess of 6 1/2 inches are a bit intimidating to me as I'm still a fairly new smoker and longer smokes are just a bit out of my comfort zone right now.
  • HardspotHardspot Posts: 24
    I tend to prefer the toro and robusto sizes my self, but I'll get something a bit bigger when I hit the golf course.

So far it would seem that people prefer the size based on time they want to spend smoking and the preference of a hot or cool burn. It makes sense but until I get better aquainted with the times and the preference of hot or cool burn (so far I like a cooler burn) I will just have to dabble. I am also going to keep a journal about each cigar I try including smoke times size and then the tastes I get out of it as well as how much I liked it. I will probably post these in the threads for some advice about what I missed in flavor or what I shouldn't be tasting. On that note I dry drew tested my Gurhka Legend and I almost creamed myself. Can't wait to smoke that one tomorrow. I am taking advice as I get it and unwrapped it today to let it mature before tomorrow's smoke. Granted I have not let it sit long enough. Enough ranting for now

-Matt

• Boriqua!Boriqua! Posts: 9
    I'm a toro man! perfect size for me! that is most of my collection, then torpedos....
  • NhyxNhyx Posts: 1
    I normaly stick with the Robustos, but now and again pick up a perfecto (for special occasions).  It'**** and miss with the perfectos though.  The ones that burn correctly are excellent, but about as often as you get get a strait burn, you get a bad roll.
  • CrimthannCrimthann Posts: 37
    matt.hickey:

What is it about the size ring and length that makes it your favorite? I personally like one that is lit and in my hand. Much past that and I couldn't tell you I have a preference. Most of the people I work with compare it to sucking ...well you get the picture. Needless to say I don't need to go to work gloating that my favorite is some 9x66 cigar. LOL So guys how 'bout it? You all posted your fav size but why?

The reason why i like larger ring cigars is because I feel like I get a better draw from them. I tend to gravitate to strong smokes which is why I believe that i like the larger rings (& also probably why I'm not a fan of the Connecticut leaf.) I like a shorter cigar because the larger rings I'd prefer my smoke not last more than an hour and a half.

Now the reason why i prefer the torpedo type tip of the cigar is because I feel like it holds together better. The cap part of the cigar that you cut is a leaf that they wrapped down maybe a half inch to an inch of the torpedo. With a regular tip it's just that little cap that they stick on. I feel like the remaining cap almost always ends up falling off in my mouth.

Also the torpedo tips are supposed to focus the cigar smoke on certain taste buds in your mouth making it taste different. Although I really cant tell the difference :).
  • MBISONMBISON Posts: 45
    Basically, I like any length as long as it is a 52 + ring. I like a cool smoke, not to mention the range and depth of flavor and aroma complexity that a larger ring cigar offers. But also, of course, I always have time for a good corona, lancero or panatela. LOTTA time to smoke in Puerto Rico.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you can get a cooler smoke from a smaller ring. just slow down. plus the smaller ring gives you a higher wrapper to filler ratio. more wrapper = more flavor.