Home Cigar 101

Need Help with Humidification Beads

arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
I hope this is the right place to ask this but I am new to all this. I have just got my first humidor and have decide to use the beads. I just got my beads in the mail and they are precharged and totally wet and some of them are crushed and turn to powder when touched. Is this normal and should I sift out the dust before putting them into the humidor?

Comments

• New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Let us get some more info please.

Have you seasoned the humidor?
    How large is it?
    Are there any cigars in it, right now?
    What brand of beads did you get?

Welcome to the forum! Stick around....we'll get you squared away on this, and I'm 100% sure you'll enjoy your time here.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a container for the beads? It sounds like you just bought a bag of loose beads? Or did they come in a disk. If they are loose beads you will need to place them in a dish, container, pantyhose sock, or something else to hold them. The dust won't hurt, but it will be annoying. I'd try not to spill it everywhere in the humidor... But yes, that happens with beads and it's pretty normal.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    No am still waiting for it to be delivered by UPS hopefully it will be here tomorrow if not then Monday. It says it holds 600 cigars Its says Cheaphumidors Humidity Beads on the bag 1/2 lb bag I got 2 of them so I have a total of 1lb
    arch72:
    No am still waiting for it to be delivered by UPS hopefully it will be here tomorrow if not then Monday. It says it holds 600 cigars Its says Cheaphumidors Humidity Beads on the bag 1/2 lb bag I got 2 of them so I have a total of 1lb
    Wow, that's a pretty big humidor. Nice! And how were you planning on placing the beads in there?

Edit: Oh, and p.s. what are the dimensions of that humi? You may need either more than 1 lb of beads, or another humidity source such as the regular foam humidifiers, gel, or something else... the beads will help regulate, but you need a lot of them in there if they are your only humidity source. 600 cigars is a lot of space too.
    arch72:
    Go big, or go home...I like it!

As gray said...plan out how you want to store the beads in there.
    It has a drawer in the bottom for what ever humidity stuff you use
    Yeah Thats what I thought too didn't want too have to buy a bigger one real soon lol
    That thing is a beauty! I was just going to ask if that's what the bottom drawer was for. That monster will take a while to season properly. Be patient, before you order some sticks to go inside.

(please! for future reference ONLY...no problems here) We generally try not to post links to other sites, here on Ccom.
    arch72:
    It has a drawer in the bottom for what ever humidity stuff you use
    Ok, I see the bottom drawer, but you don't want to just "dump" the beads in there. Either get a shallow bowl or plastic container to hold them, or what I like to use are pantyhose socks. With that thing being so tall and having a large glass panel, you will probably need a humidity source both at the bottom and at the top.
    I am planing on use some kind of dish or container I am waiting to too get so I can take measurments on the drawer too how much room is there. And how would I place something in the top?
    oh sorry about that
    Using the calculator, 17oz of beads SHOULD do you. But, I'd like to see something at the top, and bottom also.
    arch72:
    oh sorry about that
    No worries, please.
    arch72:
    I am planing on use some kind of dish or container I am waiting to too get so I can take measurments on the drawer too how much room is there. And how would I place something in the top?
    You could look into something along the lines of a black ice jar, secured up top...or placed on the top shelf.
    arch72:
    The same way; youll need a dish at the top, or a pouch. I'd go pouch (pantyhose, or anything else) so incase you knock it, you can't spill beads all over your humidor. Also, easier to stuff near the back to hide out of sight and it'd waste less space. You could also buy a gel humidifier (jar or attachable plastic tray). Xikar makes good stuff.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Whoa, I thought arch was jthan since he's using the same avatar.
    I do have anther 1lb of beads coming in the mail but they are from a different place I had a problem with the first seller and didn't think they where going to send them so I placed a second order and got them first. How would you suggest i place some beads in the top ? Just on a self?
    Would it be safe to place a couple of small hooks in the top of the humidor to hang beads in stockings?
    arch72:
    Would it be safe to place a couple of small hooks in the top of the humidor to hang beads in stockings?
    I think just setting on the shelf is perfect. No reason to hang em up... I have a sock in my humi and it just lays on the wood. You don't drench beads with water, so they are ok sitting on the wood (in a cloth or mesh pouch/sock).
    I think I changed my avatar so there wont be any confusion in the future
    arch72:
    I wouldn't put up hooks, just in case you pierce all the way through the ceder. If you do that, your seal, and therefor stability, will suffer.
    If I use pantyhose should I wash them first? I will new ones of couse
    Should I use 1 1/2 lb or would the full 2 lb be better?
    Nah, no washing needed. I found some at walmart that come in those little 25 cent plastic capsules that look like jetson space-mobiles... anything will work.

I would season it properly all the way and use at least a lb to begin with. Going with the full 2 wouldn't hurt.

And this is your first humidor? Do you know how to season? I can bump a thread for you, if you need to know about seasoning... even if you have done it before, might not hurt to read.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    You can't link and bump! Fluffer.
    Rain:
    New Boots:
    You can't link and bump! Fluffer.
    #IdoWhatIwant
    From the research that I have done to season the humidor i need to do the following: 1)Wipe it down with a barely damp natural sponge 2)Place containers with water in them and let sit until the water level no longer drops 3)Then place the beads in to it and watch and make sure it is staying at 70% RH Only using Distilled water
    arch72:
    From the research that I have done to season the humidor i need to do the following: 1)Wipe it down with a barely damp natural sponge 2)Place containers with water in them and let sit until the water level no longer drops 3)Then place the beads in to it and watch and make sure it is staying at 70% RH Only using Distilled water
    No Wipey...wipey bad