Home Non Cigar Related

Are you a watch wearin' kinda' guy or not?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I feel naked without one. I have a Seiko that never needs a battery. Love that watch.

Comments

• New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I love wearing watches....though I can't wear one at work.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wear a wristwatch because of the work I do, however I do have a pocket watch.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not worn a watch in years and I don't miss it at all.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Most of the time no, but when i get really dressed up and stuff i'll put on one of my nice watches.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watches are plainly an anachronism. There's an irony for you: watches an anachronism. Everywhere you look every device you look at has a clock on it anyway, and then you have a cell phone in your pocket.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I used to be but sold it a few years ago. I really don't miss it
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to. I had my grandpa's watch, but it broke. Still have the watch, but it's not worth the repair. I have a watch I loved wearing, kind of a nice one, but my wrist got too big for it and I lost the links that I had taken out. Why I still have the watch at this point, I don't know.

My wife tried to buy me one once, but it was a stretchy band, which I hate. Too much arm-hair. She got mad that I didn't like it and refuses to buy me another. But I want to spend enough on one that if I buy it myself, she'll tell me it's a waste of money since I can just look at my phone.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to wear one, but I have a sensitivity to certain types of metal and they always seemed to cause my wrist to itch, so I was glad when my cell phone took away the need for a watch.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I am a slave to time.. Always on a schedule, it seems a necessity to me. Wish I could throw away the watch, and the calendar for that matter.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    From a sartorial standpoint it makes you look more put together in my opinion. Generally if I'm meeting important clients I may pull out my dad's Omega, but I like the thought of being a watch man more than I like the feeling of wearing one. If that makes any sense.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of the work I do, I don't wear a watch or ring. After having my wedding ring cut off twice, I no longer wear it.
    I spent good money on a pocket watch and it lasted 6 months before I broke it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    From a sartorial standpoint it makes you look more put together in my opinion. Generally if I'm meeting important clients I may pull out my dad's Omega, but I like the thought of being a watch man more than I like the feeling of wearing one. If that makes any sense.
    I agree. I think that it does make you appear more "grown up" or "responsible". I don't like the physical part of having a watch on actually. It's annoying sometimes. But I have gone without a watch on occasion and an interesting question comes to mind. How long, how many days, how many years would it take me to stop looking at my wrist when I want the time of day?
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    agreed 100% this is one of the main reasons I wear a watch
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Yup...job necessity. Gotta count those breaths per minute and pulse.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    I can't wear a wristwatch because of the work I do, however I do have a pocket watch.
    Me too, my pocket watch was the one thing I have from my grandfather's estate so it's more of a, well, I guess you could call it a good luck charm or talisman. I don't carry it every day anymore but anytime I do something important I have it with me.
    blutattoo:
    You are aware that most a lot of blue collar men don't wear watches?
    So are white collar more "put together", "responsible" or "grown up" than blue collar?

Fellas, I'm not trying to stir things up, but trying to give you a different perspective.

It will be rare to see a logger, heavy equipment mechanic or commercial fisherman wearing a watch.
    The work would destroy them and they get accustomed to not wearing them.

To give you an example. Today I dropped $300 on work clothes. A white collar will spend that easily on a suit. The difference, when mine get oil on them, I can put them in the washer. Try that with a suit. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a blue collar worker and I have several nice watches I like to wear but not to work. I have to wear a watch to work and had a G Shock for years til it died. As a safety reward work bought us some cheap Chinese made .50 cent watches and I now wear that piece of garbage. It won't last long and when it quits I will get a new G Shock.

I like wearing a watch when I go out somewhere if I am not doing any work. Dinner, movies, etc. I like the very large Invicta watches.
    jsnake:
    I am a blue collar worker and I have several nice watches I like to wear but not to work. I have to wear a watch to work and had a G Shock for years til it died. As a safety reward work bought us some cheap Chinese made .50 cent watches and I now wear that piece of garbage. It won't last long and when it quits I will get a new G Shock.

I like wearing a watch when I go out somewhere if I am not doing any work. Dinner, movies, etc. I like the very large Invicta watches.
    But don't rail work and watches kind of go hand in hand? Like a tradition or something like that?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience:
    blutattoo:
    You are aware that most blue collar men don't wear watches?
    So are white collar more "put together", "responsible" or "grown up" than blue collar?

Fellas, I'm not trying to stir things up, but trying to give you a different perspective.

It will be rare to see a logger, heavy equipment mechanic or commercial fisherman wearing a watch.
    The work would destroy them and they get accustomed to not wearing them.

To give you an example. Today I dropped $300 on work clothes. A white collar will spend that easily on a suit. The difference, when mine get oil on them, I can put them in the washer. Try that with a suit. LOL!
    While I do see your point I have always worn watches in my blue collar positions. I was saying that men who wear wrist watches "look" responsible because they are obviously aware of the time at a glance and therefore "look" like they manage their time well. I didn't intend to start anything with that comment. LOL. For me I think it also goes back to boot camp when our drill instructors told us to always be in the habit of wearing a watch and carrying a pen. I realize that some job conditions would make it dangerous to wear a wrist watch but otherwise there are plenty of tough cheap watches that can take a beating on the job. Also, it's just my preference, but I don't want to dig in my pockets to check the time of day.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    jsnake:

But don't rail work and watches kind of go hand in hand? Like a tradition or something like that?
    In a sense yes and we actually have rules that require us to have a watch on us at all times. I would love to get a very nice pocket watch someday. I don't have one in the family from my grandfathers but I could always start the tradition to be passed on. I just want to get a nice one and not something at Walmart or gimmicky.

I would love to wear my Invicta Watches to work but there is no way. I take very good care of them. While they aren't super high end they are very nice and a few are worth several hundred dollars.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep:

-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel lost if I forget to put my watch on
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Tried for years, they stopped, got fried by the welder, fell into the rock crushers, paint, parts cleaning tank, down into the bowels of the tank, etc. Nowadays I might be able to wear one, but still don't. There's a clock on every wall at work, in the truck, in the car, on the computer, on the TV.

Mostly, though, in the old days, they just stopped. I don't know why, but prior to the Casio LCD watches, no watch would work on me for more than a couple months. Self-winding, wind-up, battery operated, motion operated. Stopped dead. The LCD's all had to meet another fate, some lasted up to maybe 4 or 5 months before I'd inadvertently destroy or lose them. Tried about 4 or 5 pocket watches. Same phenomenon.

(Cue theme from The Twilight Zone)

Oh, half of you don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry, old guy here.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    Nope. Tried for years, they stopped, got fried by the welder, fell into the rock crushers, paint, parts cleaning tank, down into the bowels of the tank, etc. Nowadays I might be able to wear one, but still don't. There's a clock on every wall at work, in the truck, in the car, on the computer, on the TV.

Mostly, though, in the old days, they just stopped. I don't know why, but prior to the Casio LCD watches, no watch would work on me for more than a couple months. Self-winding, wind-up, battery operated, motion operated. Stopped dead. The LCD's all had to meet another fate, some lasted up to maybe 4 or 5 months before I'd inadvertently destroy or lose them. Tried about 4 or 5 pocket watches. Same phenomenon.

(Cue theme from The Twilight Zone)

Oh, half of you don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry, old guy here.
    Obviously you have a magnetic personality ;)
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    I used to wear one, but I have a sensitivity to certain types of metal and they always seemed to cause my wrist to itch, so I was glad when my cell phone took away the need for a watch.
    Same thing here. I can't wear any metal wristband because they pinch my arm fur. Pretty much limits the choices to those with non-metal bands. But I wear a watch every day and have seven of them, all but one of which are battery-driven (which makes yearly maintenance a bit expensive).
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    ive been wearing the same Timex Expedition for 15 years... i cant live without it. cant sleep... damn near cant shower without it!

Aj
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I have multiple watches. Some are for work & working out, while others are strictly dress watches. Everything from Kobold to Timex and everything in between
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife knows to get a Tag if she ever wants to drop some serious coin on a gift someday.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Love my watches. Feel naked without wearing one.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Nice Eric. You and I've got similar tastes in watches.