Home Non Cigar Related

Absurdly simple things that make me happy

perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
There are a couple totally simple things that makes me happy, for instance one of the things that never fails to make me happy is hearing the dove who roosts near my house from time to time. I love to sit and listen to it call, partly because it reminds me of my grandparents' house. The other related one is the owl in my big fir tree that calls at night.

Anyone else have just little everyday things like that?

Comments

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Other that sitting alone on the porch at night with the lights off burning a stick of dried leaves?
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Other that sitting alone on the porch at night with the lights off burning a stick of dried leaves?
    Well, that's a given and not absurd, no matter what my ex says. ;)
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    living in NYC, I love being at the country house in the woods in PA and hearing the wind blow through the trees. I love the peace and calm of it.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pup on my lap
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An orange. The sudden smell when I bite through the skin, the taste, the juice, pure happiness.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether it is some secret construction of the eye, or whether it is a virtue of the thing beheld, we don't know. But what we do know, every natural thing that God has made make us happy. The feel of wind, the sound of water, the scent of an orange, the shape of a tree, the refreshment of melon in the hot desert where he placed them, the warm comfort of a potato in the cold mountains where he placed them, the antics of a child, the expanse of sky, the taste of flesh, the company of a good woman. All these things God made make you happy.

Even opposites make us glad. The fleetness of a deer as much as the slow pace of a snail. The lethality of a scorpion as much as the kindness of a dog. The light of day as much as the dark of night. All these are blessings in their way.

Even in our worst trials, God will plant the seed of something great: in age, knowledge; in suffering, wisdom; in pain, understanding; in death, resurrection.

Now, get ready, cause here is the topper: You want to feel real happy? Give thanks. No, I'm serious. You don't need a church or a bible or a belief in some antiquated gruesome illogical myth. You can be a complete atheist and it still works. Yes it does. I'll show you. Just now, try it, hold your hands palms up, look upward, and feel grateful for, say, coffee, snow, grandchildren. See? That's all it takes. Isn't that something? The Creator or Darwin or you name it made us so that nothing so satisfies as simply giving thanks. You have to conclude that if there is a Creator then he must crave thanks from us to have arranged it and us this way; while if there isn't a creator, then this is the happiest accident of all

An absurdly simple thing that makes you feel happy? Giving thanks.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The laughter of my kids.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    An orange. The sudden smell when I bite through the skin, the taste, the juice, pure happiness.
    yes. my absolute favorite fruit.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the poop emoji on my iPhone.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    Stubble:
    The laughter of my kids.

All day long!!
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
    Being at the family beach cabin in the mornings. Opening the top half of the door witha cup of coffee listening to the waves and the smell of the ocean air.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Tule fog hanging over a marsh while listening to the sound of whistling wings overhead. Sunrise walks with my dogs along the levee. The sight of my sons smile.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    There are some great things on here and I agree with many of them. Some things for me might also include:

A perfect cup of coffee, steaming in the cool morning air at a campsite or cabin, or simply my porch.
    A mango.
    Laughter
    My wife scratching my back or running her fingers through my hair.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rburke1129:
    Stubble:
    The laughter of my kids.

All day long!!
    And twice on Sunday..............
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    The view from my house. I wake up everyday and check to see if I can catch the daily migration through my property. image
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sign that spring is hitting Oregon. Daffodils are blooming all over the place.
    Always a good thing. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Seeing the cherry trees bloom in my area. Here is a pic of part of my drive to work/school in the mornings. It lasts for a good mile. image
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Johnny12Johnny12 Posts: 7
    you know, I have several doves near my house and nothing except cleaning they do not give me. and about happiness, maybe, the sea, which i see every day makes me really happy