Home Non Cigar Related

Trying to learn about Golf

flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
Hey Guys,

My kid is interested in Golfing, I have been taking her to the range to hit balls, and watching You-tube videos to help her.Where should I look for a starter set of clubs that wont kill my wallet? What do I look for? I'm pretty much clueless, interested but, clueless. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    You could always buy kids clubs, but I always suggest you buy an old set and and have the shafts cut down to match her height. As she gets older she'll know her clubs really well and they can be re shafted to fit her size. In the long run youll also save more money. The problem with junior clubs is that they are only meant for little kids. Some of their clubs are equivalent to 2 clubs. you need to read about grip, alignment, and posture for now. I give lessons and don't mind answering any of your questions. I dont know how much help ill be since I'm not there to see her. Since youre clueless, you're probably better off taking her to get lessons if you want her to get better. I'm on my phone right now and can message you more about this later through pm.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    craigslist or play it again sports
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    craigslist or play it again sports
    definitely craigslist. You can find some GREAT deals on some good clubs.
  • TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
    Yeah, I always buy clubs 2nd hand and get them fitted for me afterwards. No point paying retail on a club when a casual or beginning player.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    If your public (or private if they're not a-holes) course has a pro-shop talk to the head pro, lots of times they know of someone whose kids (sometimes their own) have outgrown a set and may let them go for not much. At the country club I worked at in HS we did that sort of thing fairly frequently.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help
    Thanatos0320:
    You could always buy kids clubs, but I always suggest you buy an old set and and have the shafts cut down to match her height. As she gets older she'll know her clubs really well and they can be re shafted to fit her size. In the long run youll also save more money. The problem with junior clubs is that they are only meant for little kids. Some of their clubs are equivalent to 2 clubs. you need to read about grip, alignment, and posture for now. I give lessons and don't mind answering any of your questions. I dont know how much help ill be since I'm not there to see her. Since youre clueless, you're probably better off taking her to get lessons if you want her to get better. I'm on my phone right now and can message you more about this later through pm.
    PM sir
    Were taking a look at lessons, tomorrow we will hit the range and get some details at the pro shop. Ty again everyone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    My dad got me a starter set when I was young. It was basically 3 clubs and a putter. I looked at Craigslist for my daughter for her set. The lessons are a great idea and I'm sure someone at the range knows someone who has a set. The previous suggestion of getting them sized is spot on. The less she has to fight the club due to size, the better she will be.

Good luck and I hope she has a lot of fun.