Home General Discussion

Would it be rude

PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am going to a wedding on Saturday, this is a friend of my girlfriend who I met once. My question is this during the reception would it be rude if I disappeared for about an hour to enjoy a cigar? I would let my girlfriend know that if she needs me il be outside, I would not just walk out.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
MOW badge received.

Comments

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    I am going to a wedding on Saturday, this is a friend of my girlfriend who I met once. My question is this during the reception would it be rude if I disappeared for about an hour to enjoy a cigar? I would let my girlfriend know that if she needs me il be outside, I would not just walk out.
    That depends on your girlfriend. I've done it before.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been in this situation many times. I'll bring 3-4. Bring the one you want to smoke and the others whatever. Trust me when I say someone will ask "where did you get that" or "what are you smoking". Of course I'll offer them one. Usually it's a guy who just want to get away as well. New friend/s new BOTL/s.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Ive been in this situation many times. I'll bring 3-4. Bring the one you want to smoke and the others whatever. Trust me when I say someone will ask "where did you get that" or "what are you smoking". Of course I'll offer them one. Usually it's a guy who just want to get away as well. New friend/s new BOTL/s.
    +1
    If you think your g/f will be ok with it then I say go for it.

If you only take 1 cigar for yourself, yes it might be considered rude...
    But if you take a few cigars and share them, then no I'd say you're good to go - impromptu herf and you got some new friends.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting married this fall and will have a box of RyJ Love Story on the smoking deck for anyone who wants to join me.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your up coming marriage. This is great advice, my girlfriend said she doesn't mind if I go out. I did not want to be rude or offend others. Il will definitely bring extras. Thank you for the great advice.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahahaaa last wedding I was at I brought about 15 cigars...it was first me and the vallet guys but when the smell took the air I think I stole a good amount of the wedding. If it's nice out nobody wants too be stuck inside so any excuse too get out is a good one
    Money can't buy taste
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it at my brother in laws wedding and no one cared. Just take a handful to share and I am sure you will have a few people to enjoy a cigar with. People will be preoccupied with all that is going on so I say do it.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Being an introvert I often duck out of things like that for short bits time (especially during the garter toss, I've always found that a bit of a creepy tradition). I'd say so long as your girlfriend is okay with it, who else matters?
  • Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    At my sons wedding, his buddies and myself and anyone else that wanted to smoke went out to my Avalanche pulled out some chairs and had a mini herf. My wife smokes so some of the other women gave it a try. My son cleared it with his bride. I had plenty of sticks on hand. Better quality for more advanced smokers and some good quality sticks for the others. If your girlfriend is ok with it, I say go for it.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I always bring my cigars with me no matter where I go...sometimes I find myself out and about and will just pull over and have a cigar while other times I've had my car breakdown ( flat tire/etc.) and have time on my hands before AAA comes out...perfect time for a cigar. I usually don't ask permission for me to enjoy something that I do esp. when it comes to cigars. I won't blow smoke in peoples faces nor do I subject them to having them being around my cigars but if there is plenty of time at a wedding for me to go and smoke a cigar...I'm there. I also will smoke a cigar while my wife is around her family ( when we visit them...I don't particularly like my MIL or her brother so I exit out to the back and have a cigar )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How was the wedding? Well,.....what we really want to know is did you have a good herf while you were there? Did anybody join you? Give us the details :)
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was great. I gave away a few cigars, I was mostly trying to play nice with all of my girlfriends friends. Thank you for asking the night went well as did the smokes.
    MOW badge received.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the mall, they call it "the husband bench".
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    I've ran into this before. What ive discovered is damit if I want to smoke a cigar I'm gonna smoke it. I usually will carry a Hemingway short story a good 40 min smoke. Buddy of mines wife hates cigars and when they were smashed at the receptionI slid out the side door and herfed. They never knew I was gone.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife would beat me with something!