Home General Discussion

Starting off

Hey every one new to the site and to premium/hand rolled cigars. But do want to find out what else is out there beside gas station cigars ( black and mids, backwoods, ect). I have had a few acid kuba kuba before and loved them, outer then that I mostly get my self some backwoods or a Garcia vega. What some things that I should try that will get my foot in the door of more finer cigars?

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, welcome! You've come to the right place. Now, find the 101 things newbs should know thread. Next, introduce yourself on the newbie welcoming thread. Don't be upset or feel looked down upon by the term "newbie" or "noob", everyone started somewhere. You'll soon run into posts by a guy calling himself "Kuzi", there are links in his box that will teach you more than you thought possible to know about cigars and tobacco in general. I'd smoked cigars for about 35 years before I came here, and learned more in the first week or two than I'd ever known. Another good source of info is a guy called "Catfishblues".

Personally, I recommend two things. Join the Cigar of the Month club. You'll get your moneys worth. Every month, different cigars along with descriptions of who made them and where they come from. Second, buy samplers. This helps you find out what you like. Third, have fun.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Thanks man will make sure you go through the 101 page and tanks for pointing me in the right direction:)
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Lots of great info and good people here to help ypu out.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use that PM thing and drop me your name and addy... It's safe with me... I will send you a fine welcoming package!
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Use that PM thing and drop me your name and addy... It's safe with me... I will send you a fine welcoming package!
    I would use the term "safe" very loosely around here. Welcome to the board!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'd try a sampler of the Ccom house blends first if you want to try a bit of everything without breaking the wallet. Other than that, you can't go wrong with an AJ Fernandez or Don Pepin Garcia blended line. Sample and enjoy. Welcome to the forum, by the way.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Ernbiglip welcome to ccom! I hope your mailbox is made of antimantium.. lol if you stick around, youll know exactly what I mean.??
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Samplers... they are the way to go. Do you have a humi?
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, and thanks for the compliment Amos. I'd recommend Padron 2000 or 3000 in natural and Maduro. I'd also recommend the avo take five sampler. The padron will give you two good representations of Nicaraguan flavors, the avo Dominican, and you will get several different wrappers to try. Avo Classic is a wonderful cigar to start with. Regius and Curivari are smaller brands that rock at local shops. But really the folks at ccom have some wonderful samplers, and the sales reps here are the best at making custom samplers as well. Here is what I tell all noobs.

Pay attention to wrapper. Chances are if you like one type, explore them across brands. Pay attention to country of origin. Everyone seems to gravitate to particular countries, as they all offer unique flavors. Pay attention to blender. If you find you like a certain cigar, you may like that persons blending style. Don't be afraid to not like something. All palates are different, and stuff I don't like, others love, and vice versa. That's what makes it an interesting hobby. And Shizza, shoot me a text ;)
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Welcome, and thanks for the compliment Amos. I'd recommend Padron 2000 or 3000 in natural and Maduro. I'd also recommend the avo take five sampler. The padron will give you two good representations of Nicaraguan flavors, the avo Dominican, and you will get several different wrappers to try. Avo Classic is a wonderful cigar to start with. Regius and Curivari are smaller brands that rock at local shops. But really the folks at ccom have some wonderful samplers, and the sales reps here are the best at making custom samplers as well. Here is what I tell all noobs.

Pay attention to wrapper. Chances are if you like one type, explore them across brands. Pay attention to country of origin. Everyone seems to gravitate to particular countries, as they all offer unique flavors. Pay attention to blender. If you find you like a certain cigar, you may like that persons blending style. Don't be afraid to not like something. All palates are different, and stuff I don't like, others love, and vice versa. That's what makes it an interesting hobby. And Shizza, shoot me a text ;)
    +1 padron 3000 was my first really enjoyable cigar when I started smoking.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, Ern! This is definitely the right place to learn about fine cigars.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Let me add...smoke slow!!! Make a point to put the cigar down in between draws. Let it rest, otherwise the filler will burn to fast, tar up, and tarnish the flavors.
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Let me add...smoke slow!!! Make a point to put the cigar down in between draws. Let it rest, otherwise the filler will burn to fast, tar up, and tarnish the flavors.
    And if it does get bitter and tarred up, blow into the cigar, I've found it helps to refresh it when you accidently find yourself burning it too fast... then slow it down...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    You'll soon run into posts by a guy calling himself "Kuzi", there are links in his box that will teach you more than you thought possible to know about cigars and tobacco in general.
    here is that link: CLICK

catfishbluezz:
    yes. this is advice that is under utilized.