Home General Discussion

Hydrometers

I just want to say how stupid it is to not have adjustment buttons on Analog Hydrometers. I bought 2 Zederkoff Square Hygrometer and both are reading %15-19 low on the salt test. According to them i need to submerge my cigars in water for them to be at %70 lol (no calibration needed because they will be in the garbage)
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    No no no this is a common cigar storage technique. I'd say about 20% of us submerge our cigars in distilled water 24/7 to keep humidity consistent. It's like using water pillows, but this is more of a water bath.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Oh that must be the missing 103 thing on the list noobs need to know. I thought there was just one other thing i needed to know
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to be facetious but analog hygrometers are so notoriously inaccurate that I can't imagine why anyone would want to use them, let alone adjust them. Do yourself a favor and toss those worthless pieces of crap into the trash and replace them with digital hygros. Capisce??
    Sorry i got mixed up. Its digital hydrometers that i have. The square ones are the ones that have the problem image
    lol wow ok well then I say get ones made by a better company. I really think xikar makes a great product and their warranty is pretty damn great.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There are good hygros out there that don't cost more than $8...I have about 20 of them. Analogues tend to get a bad name but that doesn't mean they don't work...you just have to salt test them to ensure reliability. Technically speaking there is a difference between hydrometer and hygrometer....a hydrometer measures the density of the liquid while the hygrometer measures the condensation but we know what you were talking about.
    Ill have a look around and see what i cant find. Im glad i did the test instead of taking them at face value because it did say "A top-notch sensor ensures an industry leading accuracy of +/- 2% RH with no adjustment ever". Ill check my B&M then surf the web.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Ill have a look around and see what i cant find. Im glad i did the test instead of taking them at face value because it did say "A top-notch sensor ensures an industry leading accuracy of +/- 2% RH with no adjustment ever". Ill check my B&M then surf the web.

For whatever it's worth, I got my adjustable hygros from Heartfelt. Dave is wonderful to deal with and worth the extra buck or two, IMO. And I've never had a problem with those I got from him....
    jlmarta:
    ShadowInTheMoon:

For whatever it's worth, I got my adjustable hygros from Heartfelt. Dave is wonderful to deal with and worth the extra buck or two, IMO. And I've never had a problem with those I got from him....
    Ill look into that. I paid $20 for each one. Dont know if i can return them but i need abother one (3 total) and those look like what i need
  • thebeardthebeard Posts: 29 ✭✭

Hey Shadow, this sucks. We'll test our inventory over the next week to make sure its not a widespread problem.  My only concern is that the bottlecap of salt you used for the test has too much water in it.  I dont know if that would throw off the readings or not - just the only thing i would have done differently.  Crazy how all 4 hygrometers read differently!

We can set up an exchange for you, or if you want to try a different hygrometer we can do that too.  Email me at service@cigar.com if you want to discuss further!

thebeard:

Hey Shadow, this sucks. We'll test our inventory over the next week to make sure its not a widespread problem.  My only concern is that the bottlecap of salt you used for the test has too much water in it.  I dont know if that would throw off the readings or not - just the only thing i would have done differently.  Crazy how all 4 hygrometers read differently!

We can set up an exchange for you, or if you want to try a different hygrometer we can do that too.  Email me at service@cigar.com if you want to discuss further!

I didn't get it from CCom( but I should have) That's why I'm worried about the return. I know both analog are pretty close but the only time I have gotten the digital ones above what's in the picture was in a sauna. I'll look around on CCom and see what you guys have.
    I'll retest tonight with less water and see what I get.
  • BlueDudeBlueDude Posts: 7
    Your salt is too wet. The salt should be just damp enough so the grains hold their shape without dissolving.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    4 parts salt.
    1 part distilled

And one other minor detail...
    hydrometers measure specific gravity.
    hygrometers measure humidity.
    If his salt is too wet though, would that not increase humidity? And therefore point to an even greater disparity in his digital readouts?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    4 parts salt.
    1 part distilled

And one other minor detail...
    hydrometers measure specific gravity.
    hygrometers measure humidity.
    Cool. I'll try this exact ratio next time. Never heard a formula for measurable quantities before. I always just made sure it was "wet" and not "soupy".
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    could always throw a boveda in the pack... they do make calibration packets if your concerned.

Aj
    No_one21:
    If his salt is too wet though, would that not increase humidity? And therefore point to an even greater disparity in his digital readouts?
    Thats what i would think as well. I did retest last night and they are still reading %10-15 low