Home General Discussion

Aroma De Cigars ?

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know I'm going to get a bunch of ---- with this post. My better half does not like stale cigar smoke on me or on my clothes. I'm lucky I have my studio to smoke in but still I was carring the stale smoke into the house. In lew of stripping naked on the porch I take some measures to reduce my impact. Finding those measures took some time. First I went overboard and wore a tyvec full body condom. That didn't take cause I felt stupid wearing a white jump suit that made me look like a large rabbit. I then tried a pair of coverhalls. it was just to much trouble getting in and out of. Eventually I settled on a smoking jacket ( long shop coat) and a hat to protect my hair. Now when I'm finished with my cigar I hang up my coat and hat and wash my hands and face with Lava soap in my shop sink and spray down with a netural air freshener. It seems to work cause I get a hug every now and then. What do you guys do to deal with this?

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say it enough.....BURN WHITE SAGE. You have a PM.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Warrior:
    What do you guys do to deal with this?
    Found a woman who puts up with it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even I don't like stale cigar smells. I like fresh-lit burning cigar smells :)

Interesting subject. And yes, when you bring up the subject of co-existing with those who may not appreciate the cigar's aroma you will get those he-man-woman-haters-club member types who admonish you to "be a man, smoke indoors, smoke in the car, smoke in church, and to hell with anybody who objects" type of replies. LOL Maybe they enjoy the stale smell of a dead cigar. I don't.

I've got my own place. I could smoke in any room I please. But I don't want to smoke indoors. Like I said, I don't like the stale cigar smell. I smoke in the garage with the garage door open. Plenty of ventilation. I've been to a couple of events at my old B&M. I had a great time except for the lack of fresh air.

Sounds like you have the basics covered. Wear a smoking jacket and hat, wash face and hands. One of the best ways to reduce the lingering odor on ourselves is to smoke outdoors where the wind carries the majority of the smells away. Smoking outdoors may be uncomfortable in the winter and summer. But if you must smoke indoors, forced ventilation another thing to look into.

There's another thread on this site about this subject and this guy down in Texas had one room set up in his house as a smoking room and he had a forced air ventilation set-up that was pretty cool. I'll try and dig up that old thread and post a link.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Bob, I live by myself but I still won't smoke inside. I have a fairly well ventilated tent to smoke in outside but I also have a stack of clothes by the back door that i put on to smoke in and change back out of them when I come back in. What hangs in my beard or hair isn't bad, at least according to the last couple women I dated. I wonder if the strength of the cigar has anything to do with the lingering aroma? I tend towards more mild and medium sticks.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    And don't forget those most important-tools of cigar stink removal--the toothbrush, dental floss, tongue scraper, strong flavored toothpaste and minty mouthwash, followed with an Alkoids chaser.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just brush my teeth and wash my face. Sure it gets in your clothes and hair even in well ventilated areas. I guess a shower never hurts at least at the end of the day before bed.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried different soaps for washing my hands after smoking. Most soaps didn't work well. I then tried the Lava soap I had in my studio. Lava works well cause it has volcanic pumice that acts as a abrasive. Good stuff if you work with your hands also.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After I smoke a cigar. ..
    Wife: "mmmm you smell like Vegas. Let's go to Vegas"
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Is there a like button for this comment?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    danielzreyes:
    Amazing. I took my wife to Vegas once. Unfortunately she hated the smoke smell, but she loved roulette.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin.