Home Non Cigar Related

What's for dinner?

Figured since we have a what are you smoking and what did you drink thread, we should have a what's for dinner thread. I also know we have some posters who are/were chefs or just plain culinary enthusiasts.

I got a some good ole fashioned Louisiana red beans and rice simmering away on the stove. Some of you may know that my girlfriend is from Baton Rouge, so I decided to put together a traditional dish from LA. I may be the only person in this city of 2 million cooking red beans and rice tonight. Sadly no corn bread baking :(

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Last night, had some friends over for a cook-off. I made a salad of baby arugula, chopped walnuts, apples, carrots, aged cheddar cheese and a home-made dressing; walnut/pecan crusted tuna with cognac glazed carrots; and individual chocolate cakes with raspberry sauce and a chocolate-raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Damn, Rob! Makes me wish I didn't start this thread with a red beans and rice.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Salad.... trying to lose weight.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    pizza ....don't care if I lose weight ...
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    wife made sunday gravy, homemade sauce with veal, italian sausage, meatballs, etc. with some rigatoni and a caesar salad. It was phenomenal.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Props to Shaun for starting this thread - should be fun.

Tonight my lady was supposed to cook, but as usual I had to take over. We had some pretty simple pasta as we're both feeling lazy. Italian sausage tossed in penne pasta with a garlic and white pepper tomato sauce. Also grabbed some excellent sourdough bread to go along with it, so that made the meal. Right now she's working on her first homemade apple pie, so later on tonight we'll be enjoying that as well.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    gmill880:
    LMAO...I'm with Gene...pizza, just because.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    gmill880:
    Haha, that's how I feel about it these days.

I had a department meeting at work tonight, and we had hot wings, fries, onion rings, and hush puppies. There were some brownies and cookies there as well. That was my dinner, lol.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Leftover pizza. Could this be a coicidence?
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    dinner tonight was the bachelor special, chicken nuggets and reeses pieces.
  • I broiled a pair of bacon wrapped sorloins with a baked potato and paired it with a napa valley cab. It was tasty!
  • laker1963:
    gmill880:
    LMAO...I'm with Gene...pizza, just because.
    Everyone should eat more pizza!!!!!
  • oh and btw I had PIZZA!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a craptastic salad on a train.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I want pizza. I believe pizza should be its own food group. It's my staple food.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    plaidbanana1:
    Leftover pizza. Could this be a coicidence?
    Hey !!! I was wondering where that went. You Basturd !
    You jerks made me hungry for pizza so that is what we had. Somehow I only managed 2 pieces of the meat lovers. I hope I am not getting sick!
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    On a positive note, I had wonderful Fortel's pizza for dinner tonight with my parents, who are visiting and are leaving town tomorrow.
    On the downside, I don't get to enjoy cigars when they are staying with me. :(
    I WANT PIZZA!!!!!! Damn leftover red beans for me. Talk about budget food. I got a huge pot of this stuff and it for sure it cost me less than $10.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    The other day I had grilled swordfish, steamed clams, pan seared bay scallops, and broccoli and rice casserole. That was a good night
    I grilled up a few hamburgers tonight, they turned out really good. I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper. I didn't feel like getting crazy with seasonings and marinades and all that jazz.
  • Ordered chinesse food with the family.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Matt Marvel:
    I grilled up a few hamburgers tonight, they turned out really good. I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper. I didn't feel like getting crazy with seasonings and marinades and all that jazz.
    Matt, great way to make a burger is season it with Old Bay seasoning, and mix in chopped jalapenos with the seeds still in them. Great flavor, really easy.
    betasynn:
    Matt Marvel:
    Matt, great way to make a burger is season it with Old Bay seasoning, and mix in chopped jalapenos with the seeds still in them. Great flavor, really easy.
    That sounds really good. I'll have to remember that for next time.
    Well thanks to you guys, pizza it was tonight! Picked up some slices on the way home from the office.
    Chicken noodle soup cuz my tummy hurts.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Some friends took me and the wife out for dinner Saturday night to a fabulous restaurant - Maggiano's. It's a family-style Italian place, so fantastic. Had Beef Rigatoni, Baked Ziti, some crazy meatball concoction, and questionably the best cheese cake I've ever had - ever. Great night. We were celebrating my wife gettin knocked up. If I ever find the guy who did it... ;)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Some friends took me and the wife out for dinner Saturday night to a fabulous restaurant - Maggiano's. It's a family-style Italian place, so fantastic. Had Beef Rigatoni, Baked Ziti, some crazy meatball concoction, and questionably the best cheese cake I've ever had - ever. Great night. We were celebrating my wife gettin knocked up. If I ever find the guy who did it... ;)
    Two things...
    1. Maggiano's is FAN FREAKIN TASTIC!!!! The Baked Ziti with the homemade bread and oil is the best!!!
    2. Sorry the Condom Broke....
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Just a couple things ...... Hey Matty, the next time you do burgers jit them up with some montreal steak seasoning by mccormick ..... has salt and pepper and a lil more not too much but they will be damn tasty ..... its also fantastic on pork ........ and i had spanish rice with diced green chiles and diced tomatoes in it ......