Home Non Cigar Related

Gold mining/panning

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Do you or have you? Seems like it would be fun to pick up. :)
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Once in boy scouts at Philmont in New Mexico. I don't know if there was ever actually any gold in that river but they showed us how to pan. Needless to say no one in the group found anything.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    My brother had a panning kit and we've been wanting to try our luck. But a lot of the gold bearing places are on "private property" in oregon. Was thinking ordering paydirt online and at least learning how to pan. If nothing comes up them it's no biggy
  • BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    With all the gold rich areas I wheel in I have been wanting to give it a go. Most areas are claims and you might get shot at just having a pan with you. There are a few public use gold claims that get worked all summer long.
    Youre up in Alaska!!!! Youa have a got a crap ton of opportunity and great chances of finding some color in a pan! kits are fairly cheap and if you get serious about it you could easily pay off a kit in no time! :)
  • BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    That's the problem. Then I would "need" a bigger kit to run more dirt.
    Build up your empire!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years and years ago we use to pan a spot on the VA and W VA border. It was on private land and use was on the honor system. You put a fiver inside a screened door if the owner wasn't home and I have seen a ton of fivers inside that screen door, but no one (as far as I know) ever cheated or took money out. Maybe because no one ever disclosed the area and you had to introduce yourself after someone invited you to come along. I was always impressed by the beauty of the area and did more walking then panning, even though I hit some nuggets on my first trip. The first rule of being allowed there was to leave the area as clean as you found it. I inherited an already rusted pan from a gem seller who made the intros. Is that the good old days?
    That is awesome!!!! I need to see if there is something like that in oregon.