Home General Discussion

If you won the lotto...

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
A couple of posts on here that said people wanted to open thier own smoke/cigar shops, which got me thinking...if you won the lotto, what would you do? I for one would try to come up with some sort of buisness (with investors of course) that had to do with my two passions in life. Baseball, and cigars! I know they're plenty of regulations about cigar smoking...but not on private property (in GA anways). So what if there was a way to watch oh...let's say a 1930's baseball style game while smoking a cigar? Do you think people would pay to do that?? Just thinking out loud here...

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have though about this for a long long time. I was wanting to come up with something unique for the cigar hobby. I have my wife's support to open a B&M but no one is giving loans and there is tons to learn before you do it. If you start a business on loans you are already in debt and in the red.

If I won the lottery (easy to say) I would continue my current lifestyle. I think it would be amazing to be able to help others who are in need. I remember how hard I struggled when I was young so to be able to help out good people who are having hard times would be great. I think I would open my B&M in a solid location and market to ensure future income.>br>
    The baseball thing is interesting but could you do it year round with steady income? Would the novelty of it wear off after the first year or so? Not trying to slam your idea but give you ideas to think about like I do when i get certain ideas. I think it would be great to smoke a good cigar at a small baseball (minor league) type of setting.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hmmm if I won the lotto I'd pay off all my bills and open a Credited trade School. It would be cheaper than college and help the next generation get some recession proof training.
    I'd have courses in electrical engineering, plumbing, carpentry, computer systems maintenance, funeral services, Hvac, ASE, stuff like that.
  • I would open a cigar bar/smoke shop. I would have a non-smoking rersturant and micro-brewery. I would have dozens of flat screens and ps3's and xbox's. I would start leagues for madden, Ncaa and baseball and you could smoke while you play.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    First, I'd pay some bills and get squared away with my credit score and all of that jazz. Then, I would get a house and a new truck. I wouldn't get really crazy with spending, because for the most part, I'm a tightwad. I think I could live pretty comfortably. I might consider opening a nice cigar lounge here. A lot of local smokers drive a good ways to get to a decent one, so I'm sure I could really do well here.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    magicseven:
    I would open a cigar bar/smoke shop. I would have a non-smoking rersturant and micro-brewery. I would have dozens of flat screens and ps3's and xbox's. I would start leagues for madden, Ncaa and baseball and you could smoke while you play.
    I'm with you on the first two not the last two though. I will wind up opening a restarautn or bar before i die (assuming I die in my later years and not sometime soon).
  • Hey, depends on how much we are talking about here. If a super large amount like 50 Mil. then first things first...I would have to purchase a nice home and a few exotic cars...after that I would go and look for a building for my nonprofit and make a all in one center for Veterans and Wounded Troops. A hospital style setting, care center, Vet social club, little store for Vets to come in from any where and get food. A flight change-over place to come eat, sleep, etc. for US Troops on the move to the sandpit or backfrom.

Build a nice large building for this!

If like 1-2 million, I would live just a bit better than now. House paid off, two new cars and just have funds to lean back on and work a few days more on the nonprofit than part time like now.

• Blandin2000:

Hey, depends on how much we are talking about here. If a super large amount like 50 Mil. then first things first...I would have to purchase a nice home and a few exotic cars...after that I would go and look for a building for my nonprofit and make a all in one center for Veterans and Wounded Troops. A hospital style setting, care center, Vet social club, little store for Vets to come in from any where and get food. A flight change-over place to come eat, sleep, etc. for US Troops on the move to the sandpit or backfrom.

Build a nice large building for this!

If like 1-2 million, I would live just a bit better than now. House paid off, two new cars and just have funds to lean back on and work a few days more on the nonprofit than part time like now.

This is me not this member Blandin2000 , I have no idea why this does this.....
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    I would stimulate the Cigar world economy and would also consider opening a B&M or a Cigar Bar. It would be awesome, I would make my employer fire me to.. It would be fun to see what you could get away with! :)
  • I wouldnt know where to begin. I do know that I would buy an RV (Prevost, Liberty) and do alot of traveling with my family. I've been a truck driver for 15 years so traveling by RV seems odd to some.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    These are always fun questions to think about. i would probably buy a place in Hawaii and retire to live comfortably - not extravagantly. A few cigars a day overlooking the ocean and the easy life would be what I would want to enjoy. If I wanted to open a cigar bar (which would be awesome) I wouldn't want to be managing it - I would simply want to be the guy buying drinks and bringing out cigars for some of my favorite customers. This would all be on top of giving and volunteering to good causes since I'd have the time and money to do so.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I would buy myself a really nice place in the carribean ...a nice ocean view and plenty of cigars. Then back in the USA close to me on a river there's a empty restaraunt that has a upstairs and downstairs with a river view. This would be my cigar bar / steakhouse. Already have a name "RiverRats" and downstairs the smoking lounge will be the Rat Hole . Maybe even have a house blend cigar or cigars with the cigar lounge themed names and at least one event with a major mfg once a month but weekly contests/ events in addition. Nice bar downstairs as well staffed by the "Rattettes" LOL. Have a chef for the restauraunt ( already have a guy in mind who used to manage a BBQ Rest) and have talked with him. He has some good ideas. Sell shirts and hats and all that stuff as well as cigar accessories in the "Rat Hole". Maybe have a poker nite in the lounge once every two weeks to try and build a regular clientele.
    Then I would do everything I could to learn everything possible about cigars from the ground up , the whole process, the whole nine yards see if I could get someone to take me under their wing ala Pete Johnson !!! Then my own cigar line !!! Thats my dream , it may be a pipe dream but its MY DREAM !!!
    And this is where we could hold our annual CCOM Forum Herf !!!
  • I would give my dad a couple mil so he could finally retire, buy myself a cabinet humidor and fill it up with my favorite cigars, open my own micro-brewery, and travel a lot.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I would buy myself a Porsche Carrera GT, build a walkin in my house, build a study with awesome ventilation so I can smoke inside, buy a box of HMR and get myself a box of the Opus22 every year. Save the rest!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    No businesses for me. Mountaintop compound way out in the boonies with shooting range from the back porch.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'd buy a small island and see about chartering my own country. I'd fly in 100's of hotties, and get busy populating my very own country.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    No businesses for me. Mountaintop compound way out in the boonies with shooting range from the back porch.
    Same here! Live out in the nice open air, where people would leave me the Hell alone, with my Nissan GTR and Titan in the driveway ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• I would buy a nice palace that i could call home in West Virginia & have a dedicated cigar room with a pool table, small cinema with theatre seats & a built in walk in humidor. Also would try to buy half the stakes of a cigar manuf (ie...Rocky Patel, Perdomo, RyJ) if possible.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd take care of all my family, help allot of people I feel are deserving and then probably own many houses in many places and travel all over.

After that there would be allot of art making and relaxation...

I'd probably then get bored of being solitary and get a cool job that pays like crap and I love because it's fun, not because I need the money.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    two chicks at the same time.
    Luko:
    HA!

"The kind of of chicks that go down on a guy like me do"
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    HA!

What the ...I hope thats the Miller Lite talking ...LMAO
    gmill880:
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    HA!

What the ...I hope thats the Miller Lite talking ...LMAO
    No, not drinking yet... Last night I had too many and when I started snoring I made the Girlfriend sleep on the couch after she poked me to stop... Yeah... Guess who is cooking dinner tonight???
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    You don't need to win the lottery to do that. Hell I've had 2 chicks several times though that was before I was married. It's really not all it's cracked up to be. Especially when one of them gets jealous....

I already did win the lottery, won about 1000 bucks though after taxes it was like 560 or something. But if I won say the powerball I'd probably leave the country and relocate. Germany or something. Nice thing would be I could move my parents and my best friend and his family, that would be great.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Luko:
    You don't need to win the lottery to do that. Hell I've had 2 chicks several times though that was before I was married. It's really not all it's cracked up to be. Especially when one of them gets jealous....

I already did win the lottery, won about 1000 bucks though after taxes it was like 560 or something. But if I won say the powerball I'd probably leave the country and relocate. Germany or something. Nice thing would be I could move my parents and my best friend and his family, that would be great.
    I'd need the money to get two chicks to double up on a dude like me.
    Also, if I won the lottery I would punch allot of people, then throw them a few hundred bucks and then call them a frikkin' Dlckbag
    Lasabar:
    Also, if I won the lottery I would punch allot of people, then throw them a few hundred bucks and then call them a frikkin' Dlckbag

Why don't you give me a "forum punch" and send me my 200 dollars , you have my addy don't you ? It will be good practice for when you win the lottery !!!
    gmill880:
    Lasabar:

Why don't you give me a "forum punch" and send me my 200 dollars , you have my addy don't you ? It will be good practice for when you win the lottery !!!
    Also, hot girls (not you gene) I would Donkey Punch... I wouldn't give them any money, that'd be prostitution.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I would do a lot to help out my family and friends first of all. I would buy my wife, son, and myself a nice 4 bedroom house, turn one room into a mancave and convert the closet to a walk-in humidor! Huge TV or two, Pool table... mmmm.... Also a nice big Motorhome to travel around with my family in. I'd smoke a lot of cigars and play a lot of golf... Would mostly love helping out my family and friends and spending more time with my family.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    gmill880:
    Lasabar:

Also, hot girls (not you gene) I would Donkey Punch... I wouldn't give them any money, that'd be prostitution.
    nicely put!
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I'd buy a house somewhere in Colorado or a place like Mammoth, Ca, buy a cabinet humi, finish up schooling a start life in a job that I want to do because I enjoy it and not because I have to do it. Then take the leftover money, set up my family and stow the rest away for taking trips and retirement.