Home General Discussion

Large Humidor Humidity Questiion

I just purchased the Verona humidor. I have a Oasis XL plus. Is this sufficient for humidification for the entire space? Will need some kind of circulation?

Comments

• I guess I was not detailed enough. The humidor is a large humidor cabinet. It can hold up to 3000 cigars. I was wondering if the Oasis will be good?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I wish I could give you accurate information but I do not have a cabinet and have no experience with the Oasis. I'm slowly working on getting a cabinet for when I get a house. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    One of the guys here has a XL he uses in his cabinet humidor. Can't remember who it is - phobicsquirrel? Your thread title is not very specific - if you can edit it to included something about a cabinet humidor and active hygrometer advice...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    LuvMycigar.blogspot.com:
    I guess I was not detailed enough. The humidor is a large humidor cabinet. It can hold up to 3000 cigars. I was wondering if the Oasis will be good?
    I think that is what the XL is made for so it should work, best advice to MAKE DOUBLE-Y sure is to have a few pounds of beads all throughout the cabinet.... that way you have one that puts OUT Rh and one that can also take it IN if it gets too high... that's the best way IMHO
  • Well I received a call from FedEx Freight. They will be delivering my humidor Thursday. They asked me if I had a forklift to remove it from the truck. I, of course, said no. Well she said either you get a whole bunch of guys or you pay us $76 to use the lift gate. Then she it will be another 56 for the guy to help me move it to just the doorstep. I already paid $150 to have it shipped. FedEx is a ripoff! Oh well at least I will have my new humidor on Thursday.
  • Dont forget to post pics of the beast!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the XL in theory will be able to handle it.
    i would also invest in a a few beads to even it out a bit. maybe a pound or two. those will be more or less for stability's sake.
    also a fan would be a good idea. ive seen people use oust fans (minus the scent) or install computer fans and rig em to turn on for something like 10 min every other hour

as far as seasoning it goes...

buy a few gallons of distilled. youll be amazed how much water those guys suck up.
  • Kuzi16,

Wow great ideas. I never thought about those. OK, I am planing to set it up in my family room where the room temperture fluctuates. Any ideas on how to stabilize the temp in the summer and the winter. I was thinking about placing cold packs in there in the summer but I dont know about the winter.

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a cabinet humidor (2000 ct) and I run a Cigar Oasis II XL in it along with 2 lbs. of beads and it works great. Also, you can get fans that plug into the Oasis II that really help keep the humidity distributed. Hope this helps.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    LuvMycigar.blogspot.com:
    I am planing to set it up in my family room where the room temperture fluctuates. Any ideas on how to stabilize the temp in the summer and the winter. I was thinking about placing cold packs in there in the summer but I dont know about the winter.
    what is the difference in temp?

if its 60-80 then it shouldnt be TOO much of a big deal .

we did discuss temp control in THIS thread a while back. as you can tell by reading through the thread the issue is still a bit unresolved. your best bet is to go with a thermoelectric wine cooler. im not sure about one large enough to hold 3000 but a few hundred shoudnt be a problem.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    any pictures? If you don't know how to host pics online, PM me and I'll have you email them to me.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    LuvMycigar.blogspot.com:
    Well I received a call from FedEx Freight. They will be delivering my humidor Thursday. They asked me if I had a forklift to remove it from the truck. I, of course, said no. Well she said either you get a whole bunch of guys or you pay us $76 to use the lift gate. Then she it will be another 56 for the guy to help me move it to just the doorstep. I already paid $150 to have it shipped. FedEx is a ripoff! Oh well at least I will have my new humidor on Thursday.
    Tell them not to forget the Vasoline since you're getting screwed.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    LuvMycigar.blogspot.com:
    Well I received a call from FedEx Freight. They will be delivering my humidor Thursday. They asked me if I had a forklift to remove it from the truck. I, of course, said no. Well she said either you get a whole bunch of guys or you pay us $76 to use the lift gate. Then she it will be another 56 for the guy to help me move it to just the doorstep. I already paid $150 to have it shipped. FedEx is a ripoff! Oh well at least I will have my new humidor on Thursday.
    I'm curious why a common freight carrier was not used...

I have a large humi - 8 cu. ft. - with 1.5 pounds of beads, humicare xg1000, several computer fans, and a thermoelectric air-conditioner. If your humidifier is rated for 8 cu.ft. or so, you should be ok.

EDIT* - The humidifier you bought will not be enough, it will run constantly and run out of water often(daily/every other day). I suggest you get a bigger one.
  • How do you have the computer fans and the thermoelectric air conditioners set up?
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Search for "my humidor project"

there are plenty of pictures.
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    i know a 100ct wouldnt be considered a "large humidor" to some of you. but i have a question about it. when i put my digital hygrometer on the bottom of my 5vegas tradition humidor it reads about 67% which is pretty much where i want it. but when i put it on the divider at the top it reads a constant 76% which worries me. i have the standard rectangular humidifier in it. which is directly over about 16 sticks or so. should i just remove the divider? or should i take the rectangular humidifier out and just put a couple of drymistat tubes in place of it? i have about 6 of those i think if i put one on the bottom and one on the divider it would keep it a constant level. perhaps the divider is blocking any air circulation. not sure. anyone have a suggestion?
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    martymcg43:
    i know a 100ct wouldnt be considered a "large humidor" to some of you. but i have a question about it. when i put my digital hygrometer on the bottom of my 5vegas tradition humidor it reads about 67% which is pretty much where i want it. but when i put it on the divider at the top it reads a constant 76% which worries me. i have the standard rectangular humidifier in it. which is directly over about 16 sticks or so. should i just remove the divider? or should i take the rectangular humidifier out and just put a couple of drymistat tubes in place of it? i have about 6 of those i think if i put one on the bottom and one on the divider it would keep it a constant level. perhaps the divider is blocking any air circulation. not sure. anyone have a suggestion?
    I had a sim. problem until I switched to beads. Best investment I could have ever made. Been 67 or 68% depending on how much my furnance kicks on cause it's been warm and cold up here lately.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    martymcg43:
    Marty, I have that same humi. Take out the green foam and fill it with beads. Put a tube of beads on the bottom. Problem solved.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Sandman1am:
    martymcg43:
    I had a sim. problem until I switched to beads. Best investment I could have ever made. Been 67 or 68% depending on how much my furnance kicks on cause it's been warm and cold up here lately.
    also, just an fyi...you will get higher humidity levels at the top of your humi. Believe it or not, humid air rises.

"Long ashes my friends."

• How do I post pix?