Home General Discussion

The perfect Cigar lovers Christmas gift.

Hello!

I am looking into getting my boy friend something high quality and nice for christmas.

He's always talked about how much he loves cigars, and he jabbers away names and brands here and there but I never really payed much attention...

I was thinking about getting him a very nice Humidor (around 50 - 100 cigars, under $200) and some high quality cigars that he might enjoy.

The problem is..... I have no knowledge of this whatsoever.

I am going to snoop around to see if he will mention any names in a conversation again... But in the mean time, would any of you kindly give me advice on what kind of Humidors are popular, and what are nice, what are to avoid... And maybe even some cigar brands that he might find delightful.

Please tell me; What would be the ultimate gift for a cigar lover?

Thanks,

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    amelia:

Hello!

I am looking into getting my boy friend something high quality and nice for christmas.

He's always talked about how much he loves cigars, and he jabbers away names and brands here and there but I never really payed much attention...

I was thinking about getting him a very nice Humidor (around 50 - 100 cigars, under $200) and some high quality cigars that he might enjoy.

I am going to snoop around to see if he will mention any names in a conversation again... But in the mean time, would any of you kindly give me advice on what kind of Humidors are popular, and what are nice, what are to avoid... And maybe even some cigar brands that he might find delightful.

Thanks,

He already has the perfect gift - you!
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    cabinetmaker:
    amelia:

Hello!

Thanks,

He already has the perfect gift - you!
    awww!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    do you know what cigars he likes to smoke now? I could suggest a cigar, but each person's tastes are his own.

"Long ashes my friends."

• ameliaamelia Posts: 3

I seem to remember him saying something about "romeo & Juliet"....?

Does that make help any....? :/

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    There are a number of different Romeo y Julietas out there. If you could secure a band from his cigars that would be helpful to figuring out what he smokes. Also, a lot of people have cigars they smoke regularly, but other cigars that are a bit higher end that they really like but do not often buy for themselves. These make excellent gifts, IMO.

Does your boyfriend currently have a humidor? Reason I ask is that I would be more likely to recommend some nicer cigars and forego another humidor if he already has one, but if he doesn't have any humidor, he will obviously need one before you can buy him any quantity of cigars. While $200 isn't pocket change, you'd be surprised to see just how expensive good humidors and cigars can be. $200 can buy a couple nice boxes of cigars or a number of samplers,5-packs, etc. But when you have to buy a humidor too, it doesn't go nearly as far.

Best of luck with your search. I can tell you that for the first time in my life I have a girlfriend who got me cigars for my birthday and I couldn't be happier. I am sure your boyfriend will be very appreciative. If he's not, I am sure there are plenty of guys here who would be ;)
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Also, one thing that might be an option depending on where you live; check and see if there are any cigar events or dinners. A pair of tickets to an event or cigar dinner could be an awesome gift.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    My wife got me an awesome Anniversary gift this year - cigar related, of course. I LOVED it. You're doing VERY well with your gift searching - joining a forum and asking for advice for him is awesome. Try and find out some more specifics (you have a few months before Christmas, so make sure the gift is perfect).
  • ameliaamelia Posts: 3

I was thinking $200 for just the Humidor... I guess I can say price really isn't an issue; if it's nice and high quality, I will be willing to spend $300 - $400 on a Humidor. But I was thinking about a small Humidor to start him off, so I thought maybe $200 would get him a nice desktop humidor... And cigars.. I'll start him off with something to put in the box for the holidays, but after that, he's on his own as far as keeping it filled. ;) So I would like to get him nice high end cigars that can be smoked on special occasions...

Another old friend of mine (Literally old.) that LOVES cigars reccomended Corona Nicaraguan Selection Cigars.. I don't know if that is a brand or a company. Is that like a common brand that is smoked by many people? Would that be a safe way to go? 

Humidor ideas are welcomed too. :)

Thank you guys!

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Romeo y Julieta is a Dominican brand. Dominican cigars tend to be a bit more on the medium/mild side. I know that as a Romeo y Julieta fan myself in my first year of smoking, this is what I'd recommend:

Romeo y Julieta Viejo
    Romeo y Julieta Anniversario
    Casa Torano
    Perdomo ESV 91
    5 Vegas Gold
    Cubano Viso Fuerte by Fonseca
    Fonseca Vintage
    Nica Libre
    Verdadero Organic
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 and 1992
    La Aurora Barrel Aged

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    amelia:

I was thinking $200 for just the Humidor... I guess I can say price really isn't an issue; if it's nice and high quality, I will be willing to spend $300 - $400 on a Humidor. But I was thinking about a small Humidor to start him off, so I thought maybe $200 would get him a nice desktop humidor... And cigars.. I'll start him off with something to put in the box for the holidays, but after that, he's on his own as far as keeping it filled. ;) So I would like to get him nice high end cigars that can be smoked on special occasions...

Another old friend of mine (Literally old.) that LOVES cigars reccomended Corona Nicaraguan Selection Cigars.. I don't know if that is a brand or a company. Is that like a common brand that is smoked by many people? Would that be a safe way to go? 

Thank you guys!

The perfect gift? A walk-in stocked to the brim with cigars!!!

It sounds like you're on the right track here, and getting the humidor and filling it sounds like a good plan to me. For advice on the humidor, I would suggest calling one of the good guys here at CCOM, and I bet they can help you get a really good one. They might even hook you up on a good deal. Does he have a cutter and lighter? Getting him a nice cutter, maybe engraved with his initials could be something to think about as well. Good luck with whatever you go with, I'm sure he will be more than happy when he opens it up!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Opus22!!!!!! Limited Edition. Different each year. A lot of money though. I'm thinking about getting one myself.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I would definitly call Cigar.Com , their customer service is beyond belief !!! They can help you with a high quality humidor and maybe a super nice cutter , ashtray and lighter . Maybe some starter smokes but I would talk with them about the cigar of the month club as a gift for your boyfriend as well. This way he gets some quality cigars every month to enjoy and see what else he likes besides Romeo & Julieta . And this gift will last the whole year as he remembers what a lucky guy he is to have you in his life . Thats what I would do -- Gene
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    gmill880:
    I would definitly call Cigar.Com , their customer service is beyond belief !!! They can help you with a high quality humidor and maybe a super nice cutter , ashtray and lighter . Maybe some starter smokes but I would talk with them about the cigar of the month club as a gift for your boyfriend as well. This way he gets some quality cigars every month to enjoy and see what else he likes besides Romeo & Julieta . And this gift will last the whole year as he remembers what a lucky guy he is to have you in his life . Thats what I would do -- Gene
    Good call on the Cigar of the Month club. A great gift to get him started. If you were REALLY REALLY cool, you'd start the CoMC, buy his humidor and season it. Then you could store his cigars for a couple months and make sure to keep great care of them. His cigars would be all rested and wonderful for a Christmas smoke rather than fresh out of the mail.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    amelia:

Thank you guys!

Well here's a few if he likes cigars he should love:
    Olivia V
    Arturo Fuente God of Fire (carlito or don carlos)
    Ashton VSG
    Gurkha Beast
    Camacho Triple Maduro
    CAO America
    CAO Gold
    Montecristo White
    Ashton Cabinet Selection
    These are what I would call a good Xmas gift. Anyone around here, at least the majority would call these some of the best and not all are really expensive. Good luck.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    in my opinion, cigars are not somthing I would want to get as a gift, cigars come and go, but a really nice humidor and cigar accessories leave a much bigger impression. I would be happy to get tickets to some kind of cigar event, cigar/dinner party would be really fun as long as my gal even feigned interest for that night. a humidor + accessories would be pretty sweet too, if he doesnt have a proper humidor already, then a humidor full of cigars wouldnt be too good, cause he will still have a bunch of cigars with no where to put them. I got to tell you, thats awsome that you are supporting him in this hobby, most women for whatever reason dont support cigar smoking and wont have anything to do with it, let alone buy the parphenalia to go with it.
  • I think cigars are a little too subjective for a gift unless you know exactly what he likes. I know here on Ccom they have gift certificates which might be a good idea. I also think the Cigar of the Month club would be a great idea. If he doesn't have a nice cutter then thats always an excellent gift as well.
  • amelia:

Hello!

Thanks,

Sneak around his collection and let me know what he has in there. We can start from there, the humidor is not a problem at all. You can email me at: ----> jjackson@cigar.com I will PM you as well. Thanks for coming to us! Jeff
  • I agree with everyone else. Give ccom a call and I'm sure they can set you up.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go with a nice humidor that comes with a sampler set. You can usually pick them up together and sometimes they come with extra accessories like a cutter and lighter. Jeff at cigar.com can lead you the right way on that and take care of you. The customer service here is above and beyond!
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    jeffjackson:
    amelia:

Hello!

Thanks,

Sneak around his collection and let me know what he has in there. We can start from there, the humidor is not a problem at all. You can email me at: ----> jjackson@cigar.com I will PM you as well. Thanks for coming to us! Jeff
    This is Deffinately the guy to talk with about this!

Jeff hooks me up ALL the time. I know that if I were to get a gift I would love a nice 300 count humidor, nothing crazy expensive. There are some nice ones out there for less than $200.

I am going to tell my father I want a Xikar Xi2 cutter and a Xikar lighter for my birthday next month. If you talk to Jeff that is something he can hook you up with too.

I would also like to say that I agree with the Cigar of the Month club. It's a great way to try new cigars each month.

Good luck with the search, stop back in and let us know what you decide to get him!
  • Cole54Cole54 Posts: 18
    Definitely call the customer service here and ask them about getting a humi and some cigars, they very well may give you a nice deal or give you a great recommendation.

And if you look around on the internet you can really find some good humidor deals... I got mine for 70ish and it is a 120 and is an excellent humidor and is beautiful IMO.
  • Last Valentines day my wife got me a 100+ count humidor and 50 cigar sampler. I was a happy man! You can guess on the types of cigars he likes but I dont think its a bad idea getting a variety of popular brands. Thats what I got with mine and I was really able to find out what I liked more then others. BTW its great you support this hobby of his, trust me he really does appreciate it!!!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    eh, I stand by my post!
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    If you are unsure about the cigars, you could always just get the humidor and then put a cigar.com gift certificate inside it. That way there is no bother with seasoning the humidor or anything like that. He can do it while he waits for his cigar order to get there.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    As someone that would love his girlfriend to get him something cigar related (and probably will never happen)... ill chime in :) Good humidors really are cheap in the grand scope of things. In the price range you are looking, you can find him something really nice, for a great price. I would then also call CCom and talk to them. A nice sampler, something different that he probably has not had yet (Best of Show maybe, its brand new cigars), or depending on price range, a few months of the cigar of the month club or something like that.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    rdnstn:
    If you are unsure about the cigars, you could always just get the humidor and then put a cigar.com gift certificate inside it. That way there is no bother with seasoning the humidor or anything like that. He can do it while he waits for his cigar order to get there.
    I agree with that, maybe add a cutter, lighter or punch; or a combo lighter/punch.
  • BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    Private message sent.