Home General Discussion

Cigar Art Contest Idea

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
So, I've kept up with all the goings on with Bryan's CO Photo Contest, and the fraud that went on there. The thing is, I really think it's a shame that this happened, and we shouldn't let the exhibition of art for our hobby go unnoticed. I love art in all its forms, and I really think that there is a lack of art that respects this beautiful passion of ours. As such, I want to see that change.

(Note: I did not have a photo in the contest, but I know of at least two forum members that did.)

I have a proposition, and at this time it is purely that - a proposition. I am just feeling out what you guys might think of this. I would really like to see these kind of contests continue, but I do not have the resources that Bryan has to sponsor these contests (as in, nobody sends me free sticks to review or give away, probably because I don't run an awesome review site). What do I have, however, is multiple years of event and promotions management, and a deep passion for art and cigars (and an ok reputation here on the Forum, I think). So here's my proposition:
----------------------------------------------------------------

Institute a new photo contest here on the board with the following format:
Must Be A Forum Member
with an upstanding reputation in the GT&SUF thread.
There Will Be 10 Entries Per Contest
Photos, drawings, sculpture - anything cigar related that can be represented online in a vote. One entry per person, and must be original art belonging to the entrant.
$3 Or $5 Entry Cost Per Person
Payment can be made via mailed check/money order or PayPal
Voting Will Be Done Via Public Poll Here On The Board.
Prize Will Be Cigar Related
Picked by me, likely with consulting Ccom reps and/or participating entrants. Could consist of a 5 pack, sampler, or various accessories.

In The Event of Proven Cheating (unlikely I'm sure), Contest Will Either Be Restarted Or All Entrant Costs Will Be Returned To Respective Entrants. In The Event Of A Low Number Of Entrants, Entrants Will Be Given The Option Of Canceling The Contest, Or Changing To a Lower-Priced Prize. There Will Be No Profit From These Contests - All Entry Fees Will Be Directed Towards The Purchase Of The Prize. I Am Not Out To Make Money Fellas - I Just Want To See More Cigar Art In The World.

So tell me what you guys think of this idea...? The rules are just proposed for a general guideline, and are obviously open to suggestions. The entry cost is, as specified, to pay for the prize - understandably, the higher the entrant cost the better the prize can be, but I think a $3 minimum is necessary for a decent prize.

¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea Hays, count me in.

"Long ashes my friends."

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Sounds like a great idea Hays, count me in.
    Awesome Krieg - good to hear. So far this thread has received 16 views, but only 1 reply? Even if you're not necessarily going to enter right away, I'd still like some feedback on the idea fellas!

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Sounds like a great idea Hays, I'd love to join but I'm barely qualified to make stick figures with crayons.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its a good idea Hays. I'm still a new guy, but i do appreciate art and cigars. I would try my best to participate.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I like it Hayes- think its a great idea and would be fun
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    I like the idea...I'm assuming it just our own pics of cigars and how we want to take pictures of them?
    To all the questions:

Entries can be photos, drawings, sculpture...anything that is an original artistic piece relating to cigars.
    Garen: I can't draw to save my life, but I think I do ok with photography. If you want, play around with some different mediums and see what might attract you..
    Poker Slob: I'm more than happy to have your submissions, but keep in mind you'll need to establish yourself a reputation on the board before entering. I'd recommend checking out the Trades section and see what you could manage. I'd trade you with you myself, but I don't really have anything to offer right now..

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I'd definately participate.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Sounds like a good idea alright. Like Garen B I am crayon handicapped, but I can take pictures.

Did I mention that I know Monica Lowinski? :)
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    This sounds like fun. Deal me in my friend!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I think I'd be down for this....
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I'd be interested, not much of a reputation here as I'm new but I think in this case it's a little different then a trade type deal nobody is being sent something and trusted to reciprocate, you simply aren't entered without verified anti...
    Diamondog:
    I'd be interested, not much of a reputation here as I'm new but I think in this case it's a little different then a trade type deal nobody is being sent something and trusted to reciprocate, you simply aren't entered without verified anti...
    Hey Diamond - I'm not entirely sure what you were saying in your response here, but I have my reasoning behind the Reputation rule:

In case you didn't check out Bryan's Cigar Obsession Photo Contest, there was some seriously questionable behavior going on there from entrants. Considering that, in the case of this contest, there will be higher stakes (with the monetary entrance cost) - which everybody will be entrusting to me - I'm going to do my damndest to make sure everything is on the up and up. One of the methods that I'm employing in that is to ensure that all entrants have a tested and vouched-for reputation on the forum, and that reputation is usually built via trades. If you personally know other established forum members that can vouch for you, that establishes a reputation as well. This way, at least everybody is familiar with each entrant, and can know that they're dealing with real Brothers of the Leaf.

It is not meant as anything personal to you or any other members, or to discourage new members to the forum. It is simply one of the methods I will be utilizing to make sure that the contests are entirely fair to all entrants, and accurately represent the spirit of the contest.

So far it sounds like we've got some pretty good interest, and hopefully this could become an ongoing thing.

By the way - to anyone who has viewed this and not responded - even if you're not interested in entering, it'd still be helpful to chime in and let me know that you'd be part of the voting. This whole thing won't really work if the only people voting are the entrants... Just a thought guys.

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Not sure of the fraud that went on haven't read the details yet but I will.....so....I'd like to participate and to show my integrity the first person with a verified reputation on this board (I may need help verifying lol) that would like to trade with me send me a message if you want to do a trade (I will send first) a nice treat from my humi and hopefully that person will vouch for me....is that ok?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Count me in Hays .......... Vote for Pedro ...... oops wait a minute Vote for KingJK
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    Count me in Hays .......... Vote for Pedro ...... oops wait a minute Vote for KingJK
    "TINA, COME EAT SOME HAM!!"

"Long ashes my friends."

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Word! I'm in Hayes! I agree that was ridiculous what happened in CO. I guess some people will do anything for cigars. Your contest sounds like a lot more fun and I think it would be much more fun to compete with you guys anyway. At least I know and like all of you so losing to any of you would be much more enjoyable. LOL.
    Diamondog...PM sent.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Hays, you got mail ;)
    Got as trade arranged with Diamondog, so if the Post office does a good job and he gets in a few more post' he should be a good trader in time for this or at least the next round of the Art contest.