Home General Discussion

Bad Decade

The strangest thing happened this weekend. I lit my first RP Decade from the Staff Selection Box-Pressed Sampler. In the past, I've considered it my favorite cigar. However, this night, the experience was bad all the way along. The stick tasted like a cigar that had been put out for a while then relit. That taste lasted the whole time. I don't think it was my humidor. Is that taste a common malody for cigars under certain conditions?

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Could very well have been that particular one. You did mention it was from a new sampler. Have they rested?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    that happened to me once while I was on vacation, i got some new decades in, and the first one I smoked tasted like ***. I'd recommend letting them sit for a few months and then trying again.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    that happened to me once while I was on vacation, i got some new decades in, and the first one I smoked tasted like ***. I'd recommend letting them sit for a few months and then trying again.
    Agreed - don't rush the Decades... By now I have tried them in many shapes and colors (yes - lighter ones, darker ones, brownish ones) and they all taste great under the proper "conditions" :)! I must say though that I have noticed slight variations. For now my favorite is the all black torpedo...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    Krieg:
    Agreed - don't rush the Decades... By now I have tried them in many shapes and colors (yes - lighter ones, darker ones, brownish ones) and they all taste great under the proper "conditions" :)! I must say though that I have noticed slight variations. For now my favorite is the all black torpedo...
    same here, I was blown away when i smoked the torpedo, needless to say, that's a 95 rating I can agree with.

"Long ashes my friends."

• gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I notice the color variation a lot on Cubaos as well not the maduros but the regular ones. I always try to pick the darkest ones. Ive never had a bad decade but I havent gotten to smoke as many as I wish I could. They are so good. Only complaint is they can get a little boring in the 2nd half as the flavor doesnt change much at least for me. They are one of my favorite cigars though. Cubao is probably better though for me.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I got my first order of these in 2 weeks ago. I have wanted so bad to try one and see if it is really as good as the 95 rating that it got. I know I should let them rest for a bit longer but my question is how long do I let them rest before I try them out??? My feeling is that these will only get better with age but I don't think I can wait that long before I lite one up!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sandman, I'd say let them sit for a couple weeks. That will allow them to settle in and relax from the trip. Since you said the order came in two weeks ago though, I'd say light one up and see what you can see. It is a really good cigar (this coming from a Rocky critic) and I enjoy it quite a bit....I don't know if I'd say 95 worthy, but that's not for me to determine.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    j0z3r:
    Sandman, I'd say let them sit for a couple weeks. That will allow them to settle in and relax from the trip. Since you said the order came in two weeks ago though, I'd say light one up and see what you can see. It is a really good cigar (this coming from a Rocky critic) and I enjoy it quite a bit....I don't know if I'd say 95 worthy, but that's not for me to determine.
    I really like RP and his line as well. I think I will let them sit for at least 2 more weeks as I was having an issue with my humidity in my humi....think it was due to a few things. 1) adding a bunch more cigars in 2) turning on the furnace & a week later the humidifier 3) finally got beads in and exchanged them for the gel. I am hoping in two weeks they will be fantastic! Thanks for your input.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Had this happen on a Decade as well. tasted a little green on first third, then it mellowed.