Home Ratings & Reviews

Los Blancos Cigars-- worst cigar ever!

The Los Blancos come in a beautiful box and bands. The ones I got wouldn't even be throw outs at the cheapest bundle maker. They all have blemishes, stems, over glued bands and taste like crap.

The money they spent for presentation would be better spent in quality tobacco.

I can't believe CI would sell them with the write up they use for them.

Comments

• variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    You said the same thing Last week.

Waiting for next week's review of the same cigar.

Welcome to the forums

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Tell us how you really feel
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I knew a guy who smoked one once -- all his limbs fell off.

But seriously. . .
    Couldn't be worse than Oliva . . .
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Just FYI of your buying a box that retails at $50 and the discription mentions how great the wooden box looks...your buying the box!
    Money can't buy taste
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:

But seriously. . .
    Whats your beef with oliva? All mine have been good quality. Something im missing?
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    youngryan216:

But seriously. . .
    Whats your beef with oliva? All mine have been good quality. Something im missing?
    I second that as the Oliva serie v melanio is on my would like to try list.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:

But seriously. . .
    Bro...Do you even Oliva?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    youngryan216:

But seriously. . .
    Bro...Do you even Oliva?
    I wondered about this, too. You hate Oliva? What does someone who hates Oliva smoke? Raji's and SWAG? GOF & Illusione? "I only smoke Cubans"?

So, I checked his bio list, lots of good cigars under likes and want to try.

Maybe you're mistaking Oliveros for Olivas?

Just goes to show, there's something for everyone. Different tastes are the norm, I guess.

Meanwhile, if you've got any of those nasty Olivas stinking up your humi, they've got a home in Tennessee. ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    HAHA I knew some defense of my Oliva hate was coming. I have never liked an Oliva I have smoked really. But I think it's more an issue of having a lot of options I would much rather have at each blend's price point that I prefer.
    --
    I tried the Connecticut Reserve in almost every size (I really wanted to like it lol). They all had a weird, 'green' or young taste if that makes sense, every time. Tannic like mustard. 5 Vegas Gold kicks its butt all day for about $1 per stick.
    3 out of a 5er of Serie V lanceros got tossed an inch in because of unsmokeable draw tightness. The taste was good and spicy on the others, but not worth the price. DPG Blue lanceros (etc...) are better and more consistent imo, and comparable in strength, taste, and price.
    The Cameroon serie G is inferior to almost every Cammie I have ever had and only a buck and change cheaper than an AF Hemmingway. I would go for the H.Upmann 1844 Cameroon all day over this guy.

I suppose I should try another Master Blands (not a spelling error), and give the Melanio a shot, but I have been unimpressed across the board with this company's main brand cigars.
    They're my Gurkha I guess hahaha
    Weird. Never had a problem with em myself. May not be th e best of the best but good every day smoke. Gurkha was a major problem for me. But to each their own.but im new so I dont know anything lol
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
    This just proves you should smoke everything you can get your hands on to find what your likes and dislikes are.

The whole Oliva thing is tongue-in-cheek for me. If you handed me one after dinner I'd smoke it. However, my humi stays pretty clear of them.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am new to cigars myself. Just from reviews ive seen/read the serie v melanio sounds really tasty, seems to be one of their best if not their best
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    though i am not a huge fan of Oliva, i have a difficult time lumping Oliva in with gurkha. I mean, oliva has good QC. Gurkha... not so much.

before you completely write off Oliva, make sure you try the G Maduro. that is a great bang for your buck cigar.

the V, in my opinion, is the quintessential Nicaraguan cigar. it exemplifies Nicaraguan tobacco unlike any other cigar i have had.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    youngryan216:
    though i am not a huge fan of Oliva, i have a difficult time lumping Oliva in with gurkha. I mean, oliva has good QC. Gurkha... not so much.

before you completely write off Oliva, make sure you try the G Maduro. that is a great bang for your buck cigar.

the V, in my opinion, is the quintessential Nicaraguan cigar. it exemplifies Nicaraguan tobacco unlike any other cigar i have had.

Gotta agree with Kuzi and this guy does too lmao...

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

jimmyv723:
    kuzi16:
    youngryan216:

Gotta agree with Kuzi and this guy does too lmao...

LMAO at the meme! I agree on the construction superiority to Gurkha.

The only statement I have issue with is that the V somehow "exemplifies Nicaraguan tobacco" any more than another Nicaraguan puro.
    Lot 23 habano or MoW pa are both examples of Nic puros that show just how wide ranging tobacco in that region can be.

Lol, we totally jacked this man's thread. I'll try the 'G" maddie, thx for the recommendation Kuz.
    I still have to try the g..ive had the o and the v and the mastersblen3 and the connie. all of em where good. way better than any gurkha ive had. threadjacking is what we do lol
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    The only statement I have issue with is that the V somehow "exemplifies Nicaraguan tobacco" any more than another Nicaraguan puro.
    Lot 23 habano or MoW pa are both examples of Nic puros that show just how wide ranging tobacco in that region can be.

some Nicaraguan Puros only have some Nicaraguan flavors. by the way they are blended many Nicaraguan cigars try to hide one flavor from Nicaragua and emphasize another. they also seem to be blended to create new flavors or a level of complexity greater than the sum of its parts. all of those cigars have different flavors that are not found only in Nicaraguan tobacco. Yes, they all have different aspects of Nicaraguan flavor and you can taste the "Nicaragua" in them, but there are other things going on in there.

the V, on the other hand, ONLY tastes like Nicaragua. The V has every flavor that Nicaragua is known for, and no flavors that it isnt. Its boiled down, concentrated Nicaraguan tobacco, Grown and blended by the Oliva family like it has for generations.

the V is what Nicaragua tastes like. its even what Nicaragua feels like. the flavors in the V are the common thread of all Nicaraguan Cigars. its the baseline.

im not saying that other Nicaraguan cigars arent good, or that the V is somehow superior to all other Nicaraguan cigars.
    i am saying that the common theme, and flavor, of all Nicaraguan cigars, is the only flavor the V has, making it the baseline of Nicaraguan tobacco, the cigar the exemplifies Nicaragua, the one you smoke to understand what Nicaraguan tobacco is in its purest form.

for years i have said that after you understand the Serie V, you will always be able to recognize Nicaraguan tobacco by taste alone.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    youngryan216:

some Nicaraguan Puros only have some Nicaraguan flavors. by the way they are blended many Nicaraguan cigars try to hide one flavor from Nicaragua and emphasize another. they also seem to be blended to create new flavors or a level of complexity greater than the sum of its parts. all of those cigars have different flavors that are not found only in Nicaraguan tobacco. Yes, they all have different aspects of Nicaraguan flavor and you can taste the "Nicaragua" in them, but there are other things going on in there.

the V, on the other hand, ONLY tastes like Nicaragua. The V has every flavor that Nicaragua is known for, and no flavors that it isnt. Its boiled down, concentrated Nicaraguan tobacco, Grown and blended by the Oliva family like it has for generations.

the V is what Nicaragua tastes like. its even what Nicaragua feels like. the flavors in the V are the common thread of all Nicaraguan Cigars. its the baseline.

im not saying that other Nicaraguan cigars arent good, or that the V is somehow superior to all other Nicaraguan cigars.
    i am saying that the common theme, and flavor, of all Nicaraguan cigars, is the only flavor the V has, making it the baseline of Nicaraguan tobacco, the cigar the exemplifies Nicaragua, the one you smoke to understand what Nicaraguan tobacco is in its purest form.

for years i have said that after you understand the Serie V, you will always be able to recognize Nicaraguan tobacco by taste alone.

It's also one of the most consistent cigars from vitola to vitola throughout the line. Some cigars the Robusto will be like a totally different cigar than the Toro. With the V they just nailed it and it was an instant favorite the first time I had one.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, now I'm gonna have to pull out some old V's
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    My thoughts exactly, love the V's and master blends, u can't go wrong picking up 1. Last summer I think I smoked 1 a week, always just went back to them.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    onestrangeone:
    My thoughts exactly, love the V's and master blends, u can't go wrong picking up 1. Last summer I think I smoked 1 a week, always just went back to them.
    Don't have any old ones...but I just got a box of V corona's from ccom yesterday. Now I have to wait a minute and let them adjust to local conditions, but I don't want to.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I have smoked all kinds of Oliva through the years and grew to not like any of them. I don't think there is anything wrong in disliking a brand; there are all kinds of brands I dislike. As I continue to smoke cigars the brands I do like become become narrower, as I believe happens to many cigar lovers.

While I respect Matt's opinion on the V I am not of the same opinion. Yes, the V is all Nic. tobacco and showcases itself as suck, I mean such (insert smiley face sarcasm). However, If a cigar is filled with Nic. tobacco then it is what Nic. tobacco has to offer as well.

My case in point would be the Regius black label, an excellent cigar in my opinion. All Nic. tobacco and nothing at all like the V. Some of the newer cigars coming out of Nicaragua which bring some of that country's tobacco qualities to light are amazing and they are what I enjoy from Nicaraguan tobacco much more than some of the older, grittier ligero bombs. I think the Regius is just as much a showcase of Nic. tobacco as is the V, a testament to how much art is in the blending process.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I have smoked all kinds of Oliva through the years and grew to not like any of them. I don't think there is anything wrong in disliking a brand; there are all kinds of brands I dislike. As I continue to smoke cigars the brands I do like become become narrower, as I believe happens to many cigar lovers.

While I respect Matt's opinion on the V I am not of the same opinion. Yes, the V is all Nic. tobacco and showcases itself as suck, I mean such (insert smiley face sarcasm). However, If a cigar is filled with Nic. tobacco then it is what Nic. tobacco has to offer as well.

My case in point would be the Regius black label, an excellent cigar in my opinion. All Nic. tobacco and nothing at all like the V. Some of the newer cigars coming out of Nicaragua which bring some of that country's tobacco qualities to light are amazing and they are what I enjoy from Nicaraguan tobacco much more than some of the older, grittier ligero bombs. I think the Regius is just as much a showcase of Nic. tobacco as is the V, a testament to how much art is in the blending process.

I probably like the Regius Black more than just about any Oliva. The white is tasty, too. But I can't find them easily and tend to save them for special occasions. We could say the V showcases the stereotypical Nic characteristics, and does so consistently. But it doesn't show the full range of Nic tobacco.

I'm still an Oliva guy. But Quesada (and I include Regius) is giving them a run for their money.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    onestrangeone:
    agree! The V and mb's are the only olivas I smoke but age does wonders on them!
    Money can't buy taste
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Glock1975:
    onestrangeone:
    agree! The V and mb's are the only olivas I smoke but age does wonders on them!

I need to Dbl check, I think I have V's from 09 to current, thanks to some trades/sales from some generous BOTL
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Lol, we totally jacked this man's thread. I'll try the 'G" maddie, thx for the recommendation Kuz.
    Some threads deserve to be jacked. Too bad we can't get the thread renamed, - Hating Oliva is weird, therefore Ryan is a weirdo.
    I'm gonna give the V a shot in a different size when I get a chance. Too many ppl have told me to try it again or made a good case for me to not revisit it at this point. Maybe lanceros are not Oliva's fort
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    I'm gonna give the V a shot in a different size when I get a chance. Too many ppl have told me to try it again or made a good case for me to not revisit it at this point. Maybe lanceros are not Oliva's fort
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eulogy:
    youngryan216:
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain